Tripods...

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tripods...

Postby scotgio » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:06 pm

I am looking to finally buy a half decent set of legs having long suffered with an old Manfrotto 725B which is nowhere near stable enough, even with smaller lenses attached.

I have been looking at either the Manfrotto 190 or the Manfrotto 055 legs, and to be honest I think the 055 would suit me best, the major downside is they are a kilo heavier than the 190, clocking in at 2.4kgs. This coupled with the Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head at 700g makes for a set up weighing in at over 3kgs and more than twice the weight of my current tripod and head - I tend to carry my gear on walks attached to a rucksack. 3kgs is pretty substantial, and my camera bag is already heavier than I would like.

Was just curious - does anyone here have any experience with the 190 or the 055? A search on the web reveals there seems to be a lot of people with the same dilemma choosing between the two, and no conclusive answer.

The tripods I am looking at are here
055 - http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... =Relevance

190 - http://www.jessops.com/online.store/cat ... /Show.html
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Tripods...

Postby Quality Mince » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Scotgio,
Have checked out your Jessop’s links. Both tripods featured appear to be heavy duty and very sturdy. I used to carry my old Canon A1 (Old fashioned film camera) up mountains with a real good zoom lens. I have stunning pics taken at the edge of Glencoe and Loch Lomonside amongst loads of other locations. I never felt the need to take a tripod!! And if I did, I would certainly not take either shown in the Jessops links. I sometimes took a mini-tripod but I never used it. What sort of pictures do you take that you need a tripod?
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm thinking unless you really need the extra load capacity, get the 190 since it's a wee bit lighter for lugging it up hill and down dale.

I got the version of the 190 without the horizontal centre column trick and it's certainly solid enough for me. Mind you, I don't use it outside much, so I can't vouch for what it's like when it's windy.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby scotgio » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Quality Mince wrote:Scotgio,
Have checked out your Jessop’s links. Both tripods featured appear to be heavy duty and very sturdy. I used to carry my old Canon A1 (Old fashioned film camera) up mountains with a real good zoom lens. I have stunning pics taken at the edge of Glencoe and Loch Lomonside amongst loads of other locations. I never felt the need to take a tripod!! And if I did, I would certainly not take either shown in the Jessops links. I sometimes took a mini-tripod but I never used it. What sort of pictures do you take that you need a tripod?

Try hand holding any Canon SLR old or new with a 70 to 200f2.8L (arguably one of the best zooms Canon have ever made, sadly I don't have the IS version) or any other medium fast telephoto stopped down on an overcast day at a reasonable ISO - it's near impossible not to get camera shake. The camera weighs around 2.5kgs in such a configuration and as such completely overwhelms a small or light tripod. Factor in a tiny amount of wind and the camera will shake even on a reasonable sized tripod. Shooting at ISO 1600 kind of defeats the purpose of investment in decent glass, namely better image quality.

A tripod is often nigh on essential for obtaining the highest possible technical quality in a landscape shot. And that's before you even consider taking photos at night. The two tripods I've linked are pretty much the best one can get on a reasonable budget as the next step up is the carbon fibre versions of the same designs, with a tripling of price. And that is why I need a decent tripod.

Lucky Poet wrote:I'm thinking unless you really need the extra load capacity, get the 190 since it's a wee bit lighter for lugging it up hill and down dale.

I got the version of the 190 without the horizontal centre column trick and it's certainly solid enough for me. Mind you, I don't use it outside much, so I can't vouch for what it's like when it's windy.

Thanks for the input, I am thinking the 190 is the way to go, I am just worried about getting something solid enough. This will be the 3rd tripod I've bought and ideally I'd like to finally get something that is sturdy enough.

What head did you go for/came with your 190?
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:28 pm

It was a pan-tilt contraption - they were selling the package for 100 quid last year and I couldn't really say no:
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/cat ... /Show.html
I'm not convinced by the head actually; I might try one of the ball types when I have the spare cash, they seem a bit simpler to use. Still, it all works ok. Beautiful Italian design too :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby AlanM » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Calumet also do an own brand range of tripods that are comparable in quality to the Manfrotto ones but at a lower price.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:50 pm

I have the Manfrotto Magfiber 055MF3 with a Markins Q3 ball head and it is superb. Very stable and also incredibly light.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/man ... e/pid/2278

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php

A bit of an investment but a great bit of engineering.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Fossil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm

JohnR wrote:I have the Manfrotto Magfiber 055MF3 with a Markins Q3 ball head and it is superb. Very stable and also incredibly light.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/man ... e/pid/2278

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3.php

A bit of an investment but a great bit of engineering.

I have to agree. I've seen JR using these when shooting ATM.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:32 am

Doris, that is possibly the most randomly-placed bit of spam I've ever seen. Congratulations.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:02 am

Lucky Poet wrote:Doris, that is possibly the most randomly-placed bit of spam I've ever seen. Congratulations.

Check the competition
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 am

Has the post from 'Doris' been deleted? And the competition link points to a blank HG page now :?:
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 am

Ah - yes doris and all her spam was deleted - I hope no one on HG was desperately in need of a lace wig!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Sharon wrote:a lace wig!

I *need* a lace wig. Now. Anyone got Doris' number?
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu May 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Just bought a gorillapod to take on holiday wth me, it'll be of limited use but better than NO tripod!!!

John, when I get back I wouldnt mind having a look at your tripod, Im after something lightweight to carry with me. I also wouldnt mind seeing how the Markins head you have feels to use.

Pondering one of these heads tho - they look nice and stable and easy to manouver http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-322RC ... RG3GHCZJYD as opposed to the upright joystick one i currently have which puts all the weight at the top. Havent really tried much else out to make a qualified judgement on whats best. The only thing(s) putting me off the one I want is the size and the weight.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby John » Thu May 14, 2009 6:22 pm

Sharon you can have a look at my tripod anytime.

Well I thought I would say it before fossy commented.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Next

Return to Equipment