Negative scanners

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Negative scanners

Postby Late to the Party » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Cheers for the offer! I'm currently on 10.6.something though so it sounds like the Epson won't work. As much as I appreciate the offer of the canon, I'll limp along with the old (scratched) epson I have just now.

If you'd be willing to part with the MF film holder on it's own though, it'd make my life a lot easier!
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Anyone got up-to-date recommendations for a film/slide scanner? I've got an older Epson flatbed scanner with film scanning capability but not too impressed with the results, suspect dedicated device is the way to go.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowMac » Tue May 28, 2013 3:34 am

Late to the Party wrote:Mac, does the 4490 generally come with a holder that'll take 6x12 shots? Been tinkering with some MF pinhole stuff recently and getting a good scan seems harder than figuring out the reciprocity failure....

Sorry for the extremely extremely long delay in replying m8, only just saw your reply (I have been offline for too long) I know it's far too late now but hopefully this info is of use to others out there.

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/4490.html Negative holders for scanners.

Various film adaptors are available for it, some folk even make their own and some just use the bed with ANR glass Inserts alone without holders.
Lost in Glesga First Buses 'Magical Mystery Tour Revamp' Hell while trying to get hame fer ma dinner!!
GlasgowMac
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby GlasgowMac » Tue May 28, 2013 3:49 am

gap74 wrote:Anyone got up-to-date recommendations for a film/slide scanner? I've got an older Epson flatbed scanner with film scanning capability but not too impressed with the results, suspect dedicated device is the way to go.

I still use my Epson Perfection 4490, it's not the best of the best for scanning neg's but it's still better in my opinion than other makes comparable to its 'original RRP' range I've tried over the past few years.

Dedicated devices are ok if your a pro and need the best or if you need to HQ scan loads of neg's fast. A few pro's and hobbyists I met recently at a camera club even like the Perfection 4490 for some reason, probably for the same reason as me (and I'm not a pro, I'm only an amateur amateur photo nut.) and that is because it does a fairly good job.

I would recommend that a dedicated photography forum is your best bet for advice on dedicated film scanners m8, there are a few good ones out there full of pro's and experienced amateurs bursting with info and advice on that hardware. :wink: :)
Lost in Glesga First Buses 'Magical Mystery Tour Revamp' Hell while trying to get hame fer ma dinner!!
GlasgowMac
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 pm

There's a gadget advertised in one of the magazines this month. It's a Lomography smartphone film scanner.

http://shop.lomography.com/gb/accessori ... ne-scanner

The blurb describes the process as 'laborious'. £49.00.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Equipment