These E-bay cameras

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

These E-bay cameras

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:50 pm

10 MP for £89 brand new?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-10-MPIX-DIGITAL-CAMERA-CAMCORDER-SD-CASIO-TFT-2_W0QQitemZ7580391118QQcategoryZ97007QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I am tempted to buy it, but I wanted you camera gurus' advice first.

Is it a bargin or not!?
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Simba » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:08 pm

marginalwalker wrote:10 MP for £89 brand new?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-10-MPIX-DIGITAL-CAMERA-CAMCORDER-SD-CASIO-TFT-2_W0QQitemZ7580391118QQcategoryZ97007QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I am tempted to buy it, but I wanted you camera gurus' advice first.

Is it a bargin or not!?

A wee search on google brought up this. I'm no expert on cameras like some people on here will be, but I wouldn't buy it. Have a look around on the internet for more stuff and read their feedback ratings to see if anyone has had any problems first.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: These E-bay cameras

Postby red_kola » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:33 pm

I'm no camera Guru, but... the telling phrases:
"Omnivision 3610 1/2" 2048 x 1536 CMOS"

"Image Resolution -
3648 x 2736*,
2048 x 1536,
1600 x 1200,
1024 x 768,
640 x 480.
*3.1 Effective MP."

So, no way is it 10 Mega Pixel. I'm actually amazed they can advertise it as such.
Last edited by red_kola on Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:36 pm

While the feedback rating appears good too, I suspect a lot of people have had problems but had already rated as being fine. The negative ones I came across related to not being the product advertised (that was not being Panasonic - obv flogging off cheap goods), the cameras being faulty, bad customer service, etc. I would honestly go for a reliable make you've heard of as they are getting so much cheaper these days, and 5MP is probably all you need unless you are a really, really, serious photographer. I'm betting my uncle who's a photographer (as well as my family who are into it) don't have anything above 6MP.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby marginalwalker » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I was a bit suspicious as the interpolation part rang the alarm bell.

What would be the best bargain on e-bay or should I just buy a Digital Camera from reputable sources?:)
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Simba » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:05 pm

marginalwalker wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I was a bit suspicious as the interpolation part rang the alarm bell.

What would be the best bargain on e-bay or should I just buy a Digital Camera from reputable sources?:)

I would say reputable sources! The latest digital camera to grace our family came from http://www.pixmania.com I think. It was the Canon Ixus 50/55. Pretty good camera I believe, although a bit more expensive.

Amazon have had some good offers in the past too, might be worth a look. Not sure if 7dayshop sells cameras or just accessories, but I hear my dad and uncle talking about it at times...
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:28 pm

I've used Pixmania to good effect as well. Good price and net trackable delivery too.

I suggest identifying a camera (or cameras) you like that is near the end of its production run (and they're not very long nowadays). I've done this and found that they dropped the price (presumably to clear their stock) a few weeks before their stock of the models I was looking for dried up, but you need to know your models and current prices to catch this just right.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jedi » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:24 pm

I Would also Adivse you to use Pixmaina or if you want some adive pop in to my Work i am the Camera Expert( Whoo Expert ye here that :) ) for my work and i will give you all the advice you need and i dont even bother if your not going to buy it just look for help pop in

but the camera you looking at actually a rebranded Vivatar Camera turst me they are ok but nothing great??

PM me and i will tell you were i work......
jedi
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:49 am

Simba wrote:Not sure if 7dayshop sells cameras or just accessories, but I hear my dad and uncle talking about it at times...

7dayshop used to sell lots of cameras and accessories. Nowadays they've got about 2 cameras and a more limited range of accessories. What's going on? At first it looked to me as if they were closing down and just keeping open until they sell off all their old stock, but it's been like this for months now.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:20 pm

Know what you mean allyharp—looks like its all accessories now.
Fossil
-
-

Return to Equipment