Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:20 am

£1100 or so seems to be about the cheapest for the body alone, and another £1100-1200 for the lens. As far as I know the only full frame near that is the Canon 5Dii, which is a few hundred more for body only, though works out about the same as the Nikon plus that particular lens if you buy it with a 24-105 f4.0 as a kit. And either would do me at a push, if any wealthy long lost relatives are reading.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Nobby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks LP. That was excatly the info I was after.

Looks like the camera in the UK would be about 70% of what I would pay here. Maybe 80% with the lens. And our GST (VAT) is only 10%!

It's a bit complicated though, because I can buy a direct import, without going through a Nikon Australia retailer, and get it much cheaper - but, Nikon will not honour any warranty in Australia as a result, plus, I took that average cost reduction into account when making the UK comparison in the first place. If I was to go through a high street retailer, even the cheapest, then the UK prices would look even better! (Going to have to have a think about what I might do about this.)

Incidentally, I forgot about the Sony Alpha - also full frame - but don't know how their prices compare with the Canon 1/5 and the Nikon D3/700 cameras.
Nobby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Depending on what you're after, buying from the US can be cheaper still. The 5Dmk2 goes for about the same in dollars as it does in pounds, viz: http://kv-cameras.com/canon-eos-5d-mk-ii-body-only?

Almost worth a wee sneaky trip to the States.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Nobby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 pm

That's kinda where this is heading. Though more likely to be sneaky trip to Singapore or Hong Kong. Both closer, and likely cheaper. Plus, either could be done en route home to see my mammy.

After which trip it is no way I'd be importing a "new" camera back into Australia. Honest officer !
Nobby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby droschke7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Let's just hope that no one from the Aussi Customs is origionally from Glasgow and reads this :)
droschke7
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Pentax k5 ?

Postby Jockissimo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:48 pm

I was waiting to upgrade my olympus gear when they finally optimised the DSLR ft over to micro FT- of course they haven't !

Much though I like the newly launched OMD EM5, I think the lenses are overpriced big time and the forthcoming fast panaleica zooms will be more so.

For a smallish system I hear the Pentax k5 is a contender, but it is a quirky old system true? really it comes down to the cost of having 24-400mm covered in a few zooms plus a good, fast telefoto at about 100mm (135/ff that is)

Anyone experience of the k5?
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I wouldn't have said the Pentax system is especially quirky, but I'm possibly biased seeing as it's what I use (K20). I've not used the K5, but it got some extremely positive reviews. I will say longer lenses probably aren't that maker's strong point, but they do make some very very nice primes. I've got a notion to get the K5's replacement in the future, as I do like my current magic box.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Jockissimo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks poet. The new OMD em5 is seriously conpact but doenae work too well withe the excellent cover all with two dslr lenses the 12/60 and 70/200 on the ft adapter.

Proud owner of a k1000 btw, always a back up SLR in 35mm and a darn fast little prime to boot.
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Sat May 05, 2012 8:17 am

Anybody have any experience(s) with the Fuji X-Pro 1? Looks very nice so far...
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 am

Just ordered the Olympus OMD. The images that I've seen in all the reviews look very good, but we'll see how it performs in the harsh light of Glasgow and North Lanarkshire with all the sooty stone, moss, crevices and ferny cracks, back alleys, lanes, cobbles, grim faced people, greyness and aggression; all lit up and made worthwhile by the occasional smile when a wee bit milk of human kindness splashes across the viewfinder.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu May 17, 2012 8:19 am

Got my OMD E5. This camera is fantastic! Very impressed by its capabilities so far and am tickled by features like its 3D image capture and built-in HDR. I have no qualms in recommending it to anybody. Will bring it (and the X10) along to the next HG walk that i'm able to attend.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm

What to buy?

I've not long bought myself a Canon 550D. My first dSLR. I'm looking for a fast wide-ish angle lens. Everyone says to get the EF 50mm f/1.8 II. They're going for ~£50 on ebay.

Is there anything else I should be looking at, around the price range? I don't mind spending a wee bit extra. I don't mind other brands of lenses, but I don't want to go down the route of using other mounts and convertors.

Is there anywhere in or around Glasgow that's good for buying second hand/cheap lenses?

Has anyone had any luck finding older lenses in charity shops? I'm always up for an excuse to go trawling to see if I find anything interesting... :)
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby droschke7 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:04 pm

maybe Tamron?
droschke7
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Can't comment on charity shops for lenses, but Merchant City Cameras in Parnie Street tend to have a good selection of used lenses. Not been there for a while tbh, but can't think it would have changed any in that regard.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:40 pm

@Boxer6 - Do Merchant City Cameras have stock that's not on their website? I'll pop into town and have a look anyway.

@droschke7 - I've looked at a few Tamron lenses. I have to admit it's all a little confusing. Different revisions of different lenses having pros and cons, and the sheer number of lenses there are is a little overwhelming. Of course, these days with smartphones if I see something in a shop I can google it in seconds to find out everything about the lens.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment