Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun May 29, 2005 10:34 pm

JYC wrote:Thanks fossil - just managed to post my first pic!!

Here's another of me on ben wyvis.

I think I'm going to start carry my camera everywhere too. I've got a tiny Nikon Coolpix 5200, an ace camera with a metal body for taking abuse!

Congrats on your first pic post JYC and I see your a wummin after my own heart when it comes to all things mountain 8)

Been on Wyvis a couple of times, you could almost bike it up there the summits that flat! :D
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JYC » Mon May 30, 2005 2:21 pm

Yeah, BW is a great hill - climbed it with hubby in March and saw about 2 people all day - bliss. We heard it was a boring hill from loads of folk who obviously didn't climb it during the week and in the winter for that added adventure, but we loved it.

It would be great to take the mtb along it in the summer. Have you taken the buike out to Ardgarten near Arrochar yet - ace fire roads.

PGcc, there is another forum I'm on which is pretty good and you may or may not know of it. Outdoors Magic. We are having a meet to do the Glen Sheil ridge at the end of July.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/foru ... /1/V/7/SP/

The thread is called - OM Scoltland meet 2 - South Glen Sheil Ridge
(the typo.............................^ is on the thread)

:mrgreen:
JYC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon May 30, 2005 10:33 pm

JYC wrote:
It would be great to take the mtb along it in the summer. Have you taken the buike out to Ardgarten near Arrochar yet - ace fire roads.

A bike would be handy for bagging the outlying tops for sure.

I did the Argarten fire roads a couple of years ago but I cheated a bit by taking my motorbike round them! :wink:
Theres a smashing wee bothy with electricty down near the lochside far from anywhere also! 8)

JYC wrote:
PGcc, there is another forum I'm on which is pretty good and you may or may not know of it. Outdoors Magic. We are having a meet to do the Glen Sheil ridge at the end of July.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/foru ... /1/V/7/SP/

The thread is called - OM Scoltland meet 2 - South Glen Sheil Ridge
(the typo.............................^ is on the thread)

:mrgreen:

Cheers for the link I'll be checking it out :)

I've did all the stuff on the north side of the glen Five Sisters Etc. The Forcan Ridge is the only southern bit I've set foot on. Still got to do the South Shiel Ridge.
A long sunny day required for that one I think. 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:06 pm

Folks, I use Picasa2 to upload my pics from my camera, using this program I can also tinker around with colour, sharpness, and the like, it is also very helpful when I need to straighten an image. My problem is that when I transfer my altered images to Flickr, they revert to their original state. What am I missing or is there another program that will allow me to do this?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:32 pm

sounds like picasa is remembering the settings you changed for each pic, and applying the filters when you view them again.

Can you export pics from picasa after you've edited them?
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:06 pm

I agree on the remembering of the edits etc.

I tried Picasa for a while, but don't like progs that tinker with my stuff without being 100% crystal clear about what they are, and are not doing, so got rid of it.

It was rather nice for organising pics, but once I got around 12,000 pics in, it was too slow, and I just went back to irfanview and my own directory system.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:58 pm

Cheers gents, the Alter then Export option did the trick. :D
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:35 am

Has anyone ever had any problems with their SD card (or indeed any other media) slot on their cameras? I was using my camera a fair bit yesterday and suddenly at one point I turned it on to find that it hadn't recognised the memory card. When I opened the battery/memory cover the SD card was sticking out of its slot. The slot is a push-push style - where you push it in and it locks into place, then push it again and it springs out. Only now it doesn't seem to lock at all so I can't use it. :?
I've only had it for 2 months so I shouldn't have a problem getting it sorted under warranty but it is rather annoying :(
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:24 am

could it be a bit of grit?

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:03 pm

I haven't had any problems (yet) though I use a large card so don't have to remove it that often.

I have suspected the longevity of the push-to-latch/push-to-unlatch mechanism though, as the size of the camera means the latch operating surfaces must be quite small, so they're not going to last long if exercised often.

I don't know why they added this complexity, as the hatch/door secures the card when closed anyway, and when it's open, it's only so you can insert or remove the card.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:57 pm

That's where the odd thing is. I have never removed the card since I bought it! It's been there for over 1 month, untouched until all of a sudden it plays up. :?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:33 pm

I'm in the market for a new camera at the mo, was looking at the Kodak Z700 (the wife wants me to get something she can use too).
Has anyone got / used one of these and if so were there any probs, wee annoying things to watch out for etc.

I've also been drooling over the Minolta 7D but at around £700 for just the body 8O its a little bit pricey but as I've used their 35mm cameras since the 7000i I've got a fair bit of kit that I can use with it and it might just encourage me to dust of my 700si (was thinking of selling it but got depressed at the prices they're fetching on eBay, £50 with a mid-range zoom, it was a £500 body only when I bought it!!!) :cry:

So all donations will be gratefully recieved :wink:

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:58 pm

If you've got Minolta experience, then I can thoroughly recommend the Dimage Z series.

Point and shoot simplicity for day-to-day use, but with a 12x zoom and image stabiliser which means you can hand-hold 48x when you add the 4x digital zoom.

Z2 (10x and no stab) and Z3 now deleted, but can be had for £180 new for 4 MP in stock clearances from dealers. Z5 has 5 MP for around £250. Z6 adds more MP and more expensive, but after 4 or 5 MP, more is a waste of money.

And they use AA batteries, so no silly £70 second batteries.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:11 am

I use a Minolta Dimage Z2 for postings and attachments. I think feck all now, i just point and shoot the thing and post on the web and try to convince everbody that i am David Bailey. Fool proof.

However, i am really proud of the photos i take with my Canon EOS 35mm.
Last edited by Socceroo on Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:49 am

Another minolta man here. I've got the Z10 and it's magic. I'm more than happy with it, and i can just about fill up a 512MB card (300-ish photos) with one set of 4xAA.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment