Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:28 pm

...Plastic, have you any pictures taken in reduced light situations ? Im talking here darkness. would really like to see how your flash coped in those situations.

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:24 pm

Yeah! Loads. But like I say, a lot of them blurred cause of the focus.

The flash is pretty decent though. 'Night' mode has a notch flash, though shutter speeds are slower. But it's pretty good (fill flash etc). I can plug a different flash in to my cam too.

I don't know how to post pictures (though i have an idea I need webspace). I'm backing up to just now too (stupid virus stuff), but I'll try and get some up sometime...

:Del
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:09 am

There ya go, Modern Fossil.

This was taken in a ward at Ravenspark Hospital. Taken at the nurses station or something like that, this is only a few feet short of the ward's full length. It was a quick snap, that's why it so crap, but it was pretty black at the time, so that's the flash. Think I used night mode for this, which is different from the 'fill' flash, and slower shutter speed. Also why it's crapper. Was trying to find a better example, thought I had more than I actually do.

PS: This is my first photo post on here. YAY!

:Del.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:54 pm

is it torch light? i got a pretty wierd looking one that i swear had eyes and horns.. will dig it out as soon as i get my new hard disk and can put all my photos on it instead of using the 30 or so badly organised cds..

incidentally does anyone have any advice on buying a tripod? i dont have an awful lot of money to spend but want something thats reasonably portable sturdy and allows a decent amount of movement. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:18 pm

If you want good low light photos Fossy, you would be hard pressed to get better than a Canon.

Even the cheaper A series have a clever low light CCD design and automatic long exposure noise reduction.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:25 pm

turbozutek wrote:If you want good low light photos Fossy, you would be hard pressed to get better than a Canon.

Even the cheaper A series have a clever low light CCD design and automatic long exposure noise reduction.

Chris...

You can't go wrong with a Canon you can even hack it and extend its video capabilities amongst other things Eh! Turboz? 8)

http://nostromo.dynalias.org/canonhacking/
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:36 pm

hacking canons? damn it i cant get into that.. it asks for a password. i have an powershots50.. is it actually worth it? would like a look at least if theres any other places that have information on it. if you have a solid place and dont move at all it seems to take pretty bloody good pictures in almost pitch black. needs a long exposure though.
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:49 pm

leper_2000 wrote:
incidentally does anyone have any advice on buying a tripod? i dont have an awful lot of money to spend but want something thats reasonably portable sturdy and allows a decent amount of movement. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

Fluid heads a good choice stops the jecky movements when using video.
tripod

Also have you thought about a monopod...............
monopod

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:06 am

leper_2000 wrote:hacking canons? damn it i cant get into that.. it asks for a password.

I just cancelled the password box and it let me carry on unmolested :)

The hacks I looked at were given as bytes to be changed in the code. Nothaving one though, I don't know any details of how though.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Compact flash card....

Postby kelvin_hall » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:00 pm

Have been using my compact flash card with a usb card reader as a removable disk for pc files. Now my camera doesn't seem to read the card or allow me to format it, I can switch on the camera without the card in and it works fine but with the card in it freezes. Any ideas?
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:26 pm

reformat it in the pc/card reader. try fat and fat32.
"You just keep pumping away until someone suitably qualified tells you to stop."
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:53 pm

There used to (might still be) a problem with cameras reading cards formatted using PCs. Unfortunately, as you note the camera doesn't like it at all, the solution was to make sure you only ever used the camera to format the card.

Search the web also for (free or demo) sofware to recover and reformat memory cards, as it's a common problem for some users.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:05 pm

Apollo wrote:
Search the web also for (free or demo) sofware to recover and reformat memory cards, as it's a common problem for some users.

try here
http://hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=865
its helped me out a couple of times..

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby kelvin_hall » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:06 am

Linux saves the day.

Formatted the drive to ext2 through the command line and camera accepted it fine.
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon May 16, 2005 12:00 pm

Can anyone advise me what customs charges there are for ordering from 7dayshop.com? I remember my dad got hit with something, not sure how much it was though. Is it a fixed price or a percentage? I'm thinking of buying a camera from them, now that it has suddenly disappeared from the amazon site.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment