Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:07 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thecatsmother » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:02 am

HollowHorn wrote:Sealed the deal tonight, TCM, can't wait to get my wee mits on it. You do realise, btw, that I will most likely pester the life out of you for hints & tips ::):

Damn! The boay knows where ah live, an aw! ;)

Hope your happy with it, HH. It's got a fair amount of flexibility, having shutter and aperture priority modes, as well as all the automatic settings. It's also got the capability of shooting in RAW mode as well as your standard jpegs, which is like a digital negative with no camera settings applied. You do need to process a RAW file through software on the PC before it's usable, but you have much more control that way for serious photography. That might be overkill for what you want initially, but it's good to have it if you really get into the whole thing and want to take things further. All in all, a nice bit of kit for the money.
thecatsmother
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:34 am

I've got some money saved up and want to buy a good digital camera to replace my 35mm Minolta that got nicked. I've never owned and rarely used a proper digital camera, so I'd appreciate some advice on what to look for.

I've had a good look over this thread, and checked out some the cameras recommended online, but I'm still not sure as some posts were a while ago now. All advice greatfully recieved (when I get the camera, the results will of course be posted on HG!).
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:07 am

Ally Doll. Are you looking for a compact digital or a DSLR?

This is my favourite website for camera chat at the moment.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby allyharp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:13 pm

Yeah dpreview is great. Also what price range are you looking for?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:29 pm

allyharp wrote:Yeah dpreview is great. Also what price range are you looking for?

I've got a budget of a couple of hundred quid, but I'd like to get the most out of my money.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:30 pm

what you using at the moment Ally?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:34 pm

previous page Foss ;)
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:what you using at the moment Ally?

Nothing :( I had 35mm one a bit like this Image (can't find a pic of the exact model) and it got pinched on holiday last year.

I've been too heartbroken and skint to think about getting something new, but I've got some money to burn now...

I really liked the picture quality I got from the camera, but I'm not really a photography expert! My dad had a (much) earlier model and I just wanted something like he had.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:02 pm

Hollowhorn's Fuji E900 is still on offer from Amazon, you could pick up one and a sizable card for around £200.

Looks a really nice piece of kit for the money.

If your looking for a digital SLR and you've still got some Minolta gear look at the Sony. Its a bit dear but top quality and will use Minolta Dynax lenses (Sony bought Minoltas camera division a while back)
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Digital Camera repair?

Postby geedubya » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi,

I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC-P7 digital camera.

To cut a long story short, my other half borrowed it for her work and it came back, ahem, "not working". The lens doesn't come out when turned on and the LCD doesn't display anything when in photo mode, though it seems alright when viewing existing pictures on the memory stick. I'm 100% certain it's been dropped, but we're having to agree to differ on that :evil:

I'm gutted, as it's been a brilliant camera for me, and I discovered this on the night before we left for Barcelona . . . :cry:

Anyway, rant over - do you folks think it's worthwhile putting it in for repair, and if so can you recommend anywhere? I live in Glasgow, but would be open to sending it away if that was a better bet.

Or should I just cut my lossed and buy a new camera?

Thanks in advance

G
geedubya!
geedubya
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:43 pm

Atlantic Chambers [Hope st] I think it’s the 4th floor. There is a repair place in that building [can’t remember the name at the mo] If it the lens it might be as cheep buying a new one [or claming the insurance].

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby John » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:01 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Atlantic Chambers [Hope st] I think it’s the 4th floor. There is a repair place in that building [can’t remember the name at the mo] If it the lens it might be as cheep buying a new one [or claming the insurance].

Fossil

They repaired my Nikon years ago and did a good job but it cost a fortune.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Fossil » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:07 pm

Aye you’re right it is expensive. I took my old Fuji 1700 in 'cause the lens was sticking after a fall. The guy said it was cheaper for me to buy a new one.

A wee tip if the lens is sticking could be down to dust or grit. Get yourself a set of watchmaker screwdrivers [poundshops] and try and ease off the case. Worked for me, until the new purchase

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

EOS 350D

Postby jonathan_c » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:10 pm

Anyone have ideas where to get accessories for my new 350D??
Looking for all the stuff i'll need like filters, lenses, flash, decent tripod n so on....

Willing to pay about 800 or so for a lense and whatever else it takes for the tripod n stuff

Thanks in advance
jonathan_c
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment