Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Postby Digitographer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Sharon, did you go for the 5D?

If you did, you'll love it - fantastic camera.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:49 pm

zoidberg wrote:My wife's just got me a belated Christmas pressie ( we postponed it because we had a death in the family), a Nikon D60 camera kit. The thing is, I'm really not much more than a holiday snaps kind of guy.
I've always wanted to get into photography but I never seem to 'see' the photo opportunity if you know what I mean. I look at photos on this forum of seemingly everyday mundane things but they make amazing pictures. That's what I don't seem to be able to 'see', I would just walk down the street missing all the photo opportunities.
I was thinking of buying "The Photographers Eye" by Michael Freeman as this seems to be about how to compose better pictures. Has anyone read it, and would you recommend it. If not, are there any other books websites etc that might be useful that you could recommend?

I'd certainly recommend Freeman's book - very useful (and I really should finish it). If you buy it, there's not many websites that'd trump it. Having said that, google 'rule of thirds' for some useful tips.

You might not feel that you 'see' things, but one thing I've learned is that everybody sees different things in their own way, which is part of the beauty of this game. The January 2 walk was interesting, seeing how everybody had their own take on what we all saw. Look at others' photos and think about why you like them - or why you don't.

The best advice I could give is to take your camera with you whenever you possibly can, and to photograph anything that catches your eye. If they don't please you, just delete them. Digital costs pretty much nothing. The more photos you take, the more you'll learn how to take what pleases you, which is surely the main point :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby zoidberg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks for the advice about the book - it's on order - and I'll be taking your advice LP, about taking my camera around with me. I'll have fun deleting the pictures I thought were going to look great, only to get home and look at them again and wonder what on earth I was thinking :)
"He can't stay down with three barrels on him, not with three barrels he can't."
zoidberg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tomazagato » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:11 pm

I have a Sony DSC-F505V cybershot camera that has developed a fault. ( cheesed off as it was a 40th birthday gift from my wife) anyway a fully charged battery inserted and then switched on gives two responses only, the power light button comes on and the lcd screen gives a brief flicker then zilch nowt nada. So I would like to get it repaired but where? and will it be worth repairing. Considering the cost of cameras today that have a much bigger megapixel range than mine , I need advice. Thanks in advance and have great Sunday, cheers.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy
Tomazagato
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Digitographer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Have you contacted Sony?
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tomazagato » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:09 am

Digitographer wrote:Have you contacted Sony?

No, not yet as I have a feeling they will want me to post it to England. I was wondering if there are any local repairers in and around the Glasgow area who can give me an idea of cost before I commit myself. I realise that if you refuse the cost of repair they still want money for the time to diagnose the malfunction before they return your camera.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy
Tomazagato
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Digitographer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:30 am

My experience has been that items of that sort really need to be fixed by the people who made them. So in that case, the choice is simple - decide whether or not you want to send it off for repair, or else consider just getting a replacement.

It might be an idea to see if Sony have a user support forum online - you may then get a better idea of whether it's worth fixing and how much that may cost. After all, it may be something very simple that's wrong.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed May 13, 2009 6:20 pm

I've pondered getting one for a while, and was just wondering: has anybody here used a split prism focusing screen in their DSLR? If so, any joy?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby cheesemonster » Thu May 14, 2009 11:48 am

Tomazagato wrote:
Digitographer wrote:Have you contacted Sony?

No, not yet as I have a feeling they will want me to post it to England. I was wondering if there are any local repairers in and around the Glasgow area who can give me an idea of cost before I commit myself. I realise that if you refuse the cost of repair they still want money for the time to diagnose the malfunction before they return your camera.

My experience with faulty Sony items is that they need to be sent to Sony for repair. The shop where you bought it from may do this on your behalf though.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu May 14, 2009 1:04 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I've pondered getting one for a while, and was just wondering: has anybody here used a split prism focusing screen in their DSLR? If so, any joy?

Some contacts have used and recommend Katz Eyes screens. You can send them your camera and they'll fit it for you, or you can attempt to do it yourself. It can be a fiddly job and there's the possibility of damaging your camera
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon May 18, 2009 8:25 pm

looking for a ccd for a fuji s20 pro. Any ideas cant find it any where.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Was thinking of getting another lens for my canon, i already have the standard efs 18-55mm and sigma 70-300mm, but want one in between them, as i have started trying macro photography, but i find the sigma doesnt work on some of the close ups (out of focus at minimum set)

Is this one any good, >>canon 55-250mm<< ?

Looked on flickr at some pics and seems ok.

tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 am

Cheaper on amazon...and there are some reviews. Make sure it'll fit your camera!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-55-250mm- ... roduct_top
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hazy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:30 am

I have just been handed a Nikon D60 . How the fuck do you get the OSD to show you the frame . I can only see the frame through the view finder but not on the LCD. all I get is the info on the frame regardingfstops and shutter speed. :oops: :oops:
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 am

A quick google says the d60's LCD can only be used for image playback and not as a live viewfinder.

<<<clicky>>>
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment