Digital Camera Equipment. THE Help and discussion thread.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby allyharp » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm

My dad's digital camera has just gone on the bung. It's an Olympus Mju 300 and the problem looks to be some sort of power switch failure. He's currently debating whether to get it repaired or just to replace it with something new. Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations on a compact digital costing up to £200?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jim » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 pm

My digital camera has stopped functioning. It seems to have seized and the lens is half opened/closed. Its not the batteries. Does anybody have any ideas?
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:51 pm

HAd the same problem with my Fuji... If you've got a small set of watch makers screwdrivers try and tackle it on yourself. Could be a bit of grit hair in the lens cover

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby jim » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:04 pm

Cheers Fossil. I'll try it.
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:34 am

Has anyone thought of marketing Hidden Glasgow anoraks?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:44 am

onyirtodd wrote:Has anyone thought of marketing Hidden Glasgow anoraks?

I wouldn't have thought selling the members would be allowed ::):
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macca734 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:28 am

I use a Nikon Coolpix 7600 which I bought after winning about a grand on the Lotto. Stuck a 1Gb card it in and can get a shade under 300, 7.1 megapixel images on there. The only gripe I have about it is the long cycle time from turning on to being able to take a shot, and the cycle time between being able to take photos on max resolution.

Apart from that its the best camera I've ever owned. Its smaller than a 20-deck of fags, has a great battery life and, being a Nikon, the images are pin sharp. I have a couple of spanking pics I took on a nice crisp winters day out in Glasgow that really showcases the little beastie. If someone can show me how to upload them somewhere you'll see what I mean.
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:53 am

macca734 wrote:I use a Nikon Coolpix 7600 ...................... If someone can show me how to upload them somewhere you'll see what I mean.

check this thread for all your hosting needs :)

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1832

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby macca734 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:57 pm

Thanks Fossy.

I've uploaded three pics on a thread called Nice City Centre pictures or somethinng.

Thanks again.

Wullie.
macca734
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Local Hero » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:09 pm

Just ordered myself a digital camera last night so I can perhaps join in things like the Past/Present shenanigans ;)

Oh it's a Kodak Z740 (10x Optical zoom 5megapix 5x Dig Zoom). PC World had it online for just over £150 (Jessops and Argos both have it at £199). The reviews looked good and I am looking forward to getting me grubby mitts on it ;)

Will let you know how I get on.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Local Hero wrote:Just ordered myself a digital camera last night so I can perhaps join in things like the Past/Present shenanigans ;)

Oh it's a Kodak Z740 (10x Optical zoom 5megapix 5x Dig Zoom). PC World had it online for just over £150 (Jessops and Argos both have it at £199). The reviews looked good and I am looking forward to getting me grubby mitts on it ;)

Will let you know how I get on.

I've got the Z700 and I'm quite disappointed with it, if you can get the exposure right its good but that can be tricky at times, especially when using the flash. Its not even consistent, if it was always under or over exposing you could compenstate for it but sometimes it overexposes and other times it underexposes, but you pays your money... and because its a camera you can't take it back to Argos unless its broken :twisted:
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:11 pm

Apologies if I'm preaching to the coverted, but you need to learn the peculiarities of the metering/exposure system fitted to digitals. They're much more sophisticated than those on most film cameras, and are expected to perfom miracles (that they can't :) ).

The Z700 appears to have 3 modes, Multi-segment, Center weighted, Spot.

I've yet to handle a digital compact camera that had satisfactory multi-segment metereing. It tries to do the impossible by setting an exposure based on the whole scene - unless it's very uniformally illuminated, then you will have area of over and under exposure you have no control over, as the program tries to integrate the overall scene and determine an average exposure setting to meet it. Personally, I wouldn't even waste my time trying to use multi-segement, it's that bad.

Centre weighted does what is says on the box, and sets the exposure value with the setting determined largely by the illumination of the centre of the scene, and the surrounding area contributes little to the final value. The manual should give a diagram indicating the actual area covered. This is the setting of choice, as you then know what part of the scene will be measured for correct exposure. If the part you want to have correctly exposed in not in the centre, then there should be an automatic exposure lock that comes in to action if you hold the shutter release for a second or two. Use this to point at the area you want to expose for, activate the exposure lock, and then re-frame the scence (you'll have to deal with the focus youself though).

Spot-metering is best reserved for special situations. Does what is says on the box too, and meters only the central few % of the scene - there should be indicator to show the exact spot in the viewfinder when it's active. Can give odd results if you forget it's on, but you can, for example, shoot and expose correctly when standing in a bright exterior and looking inside a dark room - the camera will ignore the surroundings and espose only for the targeted spot in the room. It can't work miracles of course, and any of the exterior that appears in the shot will be very overexposed.

Give centre weighting a try over a number of shots - it saved me ditching cameres I thought produced such variable results (with multi-segment metering on) I wanted my money back too.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:17 pm

Apollo wrote:Apologies if I'm preaching to the coverted, but you need to learn the peculiarities of the metering/exposure system fitted to digitals. They're much more sophisticated than those on most film cameras, and are expected to perfom miracles (that they can't :) ).

The Z700 appears to have 3 modes, Multi-segment, Center weighted, Spot.

I've yet to handle a digital compact camera that had satisfactory multi-segment metereing. It tries to do the impossible by setting an exposure based on the whole scene - unless it's very uniformally illuminated, then you will have area of over and under exposure you have no control over, as the program tries to integrate the overall scene and determine an average exposure setting to meet it. Personally, I wouldn't even waste my time trying to use multi-segement, it's that bad.

Centre weighted does what is says on the box, and sets the exposure value with the setting determined largely by the illumination of the centre of the scene, and the surrounding area contributes little to the final value. The manual should give a diagram indicating the actual area covered. This is the setting of choice, as you then know what part of the scene will be measured for correct exposure. If the part you want to have correctly exposed in not in the centre, then there should be an automatic exposure lock that comes in to action if you hold the shutter release for a second or two. Use this to point at the area you want to expose for, activate the exposure lock, and then re-frame the scence (you'll have to deal with the focus youself though).

Spot-metering is best reserved for special situations. Does what is says on the box too, and meters only the central few % of the scene - there should be indicator to show the exact spot in the viewfinder when it's active. Can give odd results if you forget it's on, but you can, for example, shoot and expose correctly when standing in a bright exterior and looking inside a dark room - the camera will ignore the surroundings and espose only for the targeted spot in the room. It can't work miracles of course, and any of the exterior that appears in the shot will be very overexposed.

Give centre weighting a try over a number of shots - it saved me ditching cameres I thought produced such variable results (with multi-segment metering on) I wanted my money back too.

Apollo, its 10:15 on a friday night, open a bottle!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bluenose » Mon May 01, 2006 3:04 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Can anyone recommend a shop in Glasgow for a digital camera service, with a quick turnaround.
(B 4 Saturday)

Loxley Colour
Bluenose
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby marginalwalker » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:23 am

marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment