Panasonic Lumix Compact camera screen replacement.

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Panasonic Lumix Compact camera screen replacement.

Postby BTJustice » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 pm

After my success when I cleaned and replaced the lens unit on my Panasonic TZ7 camera (see here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12008 ) I was feeling like a camera repair god so I headed straight for ebay to see if I could get another patient for the BTJustice camera hospital.

Having had great results from my TZ7 and as I had been inside my own I decided to stick to what I know and bought this Panasonic DMC-ZS3, the NTSC version of my camera;

It came boxed, with all the cords and instructions for less than a tenth of the price of my camera when new. The bad bit?

Smashed screen;

Now before I go any further its the disclaimer and *WARNING* Do not carry out this repair unless you are really confident about opening your camera up.

Allow for the possibility of the repair not working and your camera being scrap. If you cant handle this possibility leave it alone and take it to a professional.

First thing to do was sourse a new srceen so off to ebay and for £15 a new screen was on its way from Hong Kong.

Job one was to get into the camera. The back is held on with 6 screws but make sure if you do this job to use the correct size zero screwdriver or you will chew up the screw heads.

As before, with the back off we have to be careful with the ribon cables;

The ribon cable can be disconnected from the circuit board by carefully lifting the tab on the connector and gently pulling out the screen ribon and the smaller (and more fragile) back light cable;

Now the camera is in two parts we can put the lens section to one side. I chose to give the sensor a quick clean while it was open before moving on to concentrate on the screen half;

The screen is sandwiched in a metal holder which is fixed to the camera by these small tabs;

These are gently levered out and the complete screen unit comes away from the plastic body.

On the side of the screen you look at there is a plastic cover thats simply held on with a soft adhesive. This needs peeled off;

This gives us access to the screen and frame. The frame is held to the screen mount by tabs around the outside which need gently prised apart to let the screen and frame lift out.

Strangely, the screen frame in a Panasonic camera is embossed with a Sony mark;

We are still not quite at the screen, this frame needs removed from the screen. The frame is in two parts, held together with an interferance fit. The front and the back of the frame need to be prised appart and they have the rigidity of the tin foil Kit-kats come wrapped in;

Now we can start the re-assembly. Not surprisingly you need to be very careful not to touch the screen or you will permanently have finger prints on it.

This is the new screen fitted in the frame with the old screen in the background;

From this point on, re-assembly is pretty much the reversal of the dismantling procedure so if your memory is bad, try and find another camera to record each part of the sequence as you work.

With it back together its time to try it;

Success. I now have a danger camera for more risky missions that cost me a lot less than it would have new.

Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Panasonic Lumix Compact camera screen replacement.

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Very impressive!

Now, get back to that Beetle!! :D
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Panasonic Lumix Compact camera screen replacement.

Postby BTJustice » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Cheers.......I think :D

I have updates on the beetle but nothing very exciting so I was going to group them together with the next big job on the Bug.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Equipment