Glasgow Airport Rail Link (G.A.R.L.) Project Photographs

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Airport Rail Link (G.A.R.L.) Project Photographs

Postby jonno22 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:44 pm

http://jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/c1624294.html - Glasgow Airport Rail Link (G.A.R.L.) Project Photographs
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Glasgow Airport Rail Link (G.A.R.L.) Project Photographs

Postby Haggis » Mon May 04, 2009 7:38 am

:) Great pics mate,it would be nice if they put a nice new shiney tram on that route,
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jonno22 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:46 am

Hi Haggis many people have said to me that the glasgow trams should never have been taken away but oh well. The road network within the city of Glasgow is far too congested in order to build and especially run a tram network system hence why a rail link to Glasgow International Airport which is in the 'slow' pace is being built at the moment. The link will run from Glasgow Central High Level train station. A tram link, I suppose, would have been useful to get to and from Glasgow International Airport from the city centre (for tourists in the summer especially) if the rail link had not gone ahead but like I say the road congeston on the roads and motorways within Glasgow and the city is heavy (most of the time). The project is estimated at the moment a year behind schedule. It was due for completeion in 2012 ahead of the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games but the completeion date is now 2013 (i'm waiting for it to be even firther delayed). To add, Siemans in Germany are building 38 (22 4 - car & 16 3 - car set) E.M.U. (Electric Multiple Units) for the new Glasgow International Airport route. The trains will also be running on the Ayrshire and Inverclyde lines from Glasgow Central High Level station also. A mock up of the new trains will be on display in the station carpark at Glasgow Central High Level on Thursday 7th May (this Thursday) until Thursday 20th May. I will hopefully have som epictures uploaded on thursday or possibly before if I end up taking some photographs for the First ScotRail press office (something which I have been doing recently). Hope this information and the above comes in useful to yourself (Haggis and other readers).
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Mon May 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Geneva has expanded its tram network despite its streets being as narrow - if not more so - and definitely being more congested. It is a political decision to prefer public transport to private, car, transportation.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jonno22 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:54 pm

I agree but I also agree on the fact that the streets and motorways are too congested for a tram network system. I am surprised the Edinburgh Tram Project is going ahead ( A photography project which I am carrying out at the moment) http://jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/c1663248.html . I still think Edinburgh should have had a link to the city's airport which again (and surprisingly) has been rejected by the scottish parrliment. I think Alex Salmond is a smart guy and knows what he is tlakig about but I think he should have done a bit more to back up an E.A.R.L. (Edinburgh Airport Rail Link) because it would certainly be more popular and mainly faster (in terms of time and speed) than the tram network system that is in the middle of construction at the moment I think. Anyway going off topic a bit here I think and I want to obey the rules of sticking to the topic and whatnot:P.

*ADMIN EDIT NAME REMOVED AGAIN AS PER PREVIOUS ADVICE*
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sonnyj99 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:01 pm

think they have also started some work on the st james's playing fields opposite the airport where i believe the rail link will fly over the motorway and arrive at high level outside the main terminal building, think there is an spt video on you tube about it.
sonnyj99
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jonno22 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi all. I've added / reinstated the G.A.R.L. (Glasgow Airport Rail Link) photograph gallery to my site. Photographs date back to 2007 and show trains using the 11a platform at Glasgow Central High Level station with the sign '11a' noticeable in some photographs. The platform has been renumbered platform 12 as part of the G.A.R.L. plan. Photographs also include Cardonald station where a third track will be be laid and also Paisley Gilmour Street where the new Class 380 fleet (currently being built by Siemens) will be calling at to serve the service to and from Central station to the new airport terminal when built in hopefully 2013, despite the media predicting further delays in the in regards to the engineering of the project. Photographs can be found in the link below and I will fill captions throughout the day/week.

G.A.R.L. (Glasgow Airport Rail Link) Project Photographs
http://www.jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/garlproject

I'll update the gallery with any photographs relating to the project in the future.

jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Reference: 09/02027/DC Community Cnl: Anderston (Inactive)
Address: Central Station 79 Gordon Street Glasgow
Proposal: Internal alterations to listed building associated with Glasgow Airport Rail Link.
Date Received: 28.08.2009 Date Valid: 28.08.2009
Applicant
Details: Network Rail
Agent Details: 0141 220 2000
Atkins Ltd
200 Broomielaw GLASGOW G1 3SL
Ward: Anderston/City
Type: Listed Building Consent Level:
Case Officer: Ms K Maxted, 0141 287 6057
Listing: A Cons Area: Central Area
Map Reference: (E) 258773 (N) 665298
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:45 pm

jonno22 wrote:Hi Haggis many people have said to me that the glasgow trams should never have been taken away but oh well. The road network within the city of Glasgow is far too congested in order to build and especially run a tram network system hence why a rail link to Glasgow International Airport which is in the 'slow' pace is being built at the moment. The link will run from Glasgow Central High Level train station. A tram link, I suppose, would have been useful to get to and from Glasgow International Airport from the city centre (for tourists in the summer especially) if the rail link had not gone ahead but like I say the road congeston on the roads and motorways within Glasgow and the city is heavy (most of the time). The project is estimated at the moment a year behind schedule. It was due for completeion in 2012 ahead of the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games but the completeion date is now 2013 (i'm waiting for it to be even firther delayed). To add, Siemans in Germany are building 38 (22 4 - car & 16 3 - car set) E.M.U. (Electric Multiple Units) for the new Glasgow International Airport route. The trains will also be running on the Ayrshire and Inverclyde lines from Glasgow Central High Level station also. A mock up of the new trains will be on display in the station carpark at Glasgow Central High Level on Thursday 7th May (this Thursday) until Thursday 20th May. I will hopefully have som epictures uploaded on thursday or possibly before if I end up taking some photographs for the First ScotRail press office (something which I have been doing recently). Hope this information and the above comes in useful to yourself (Haggis and other readers).

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk

god......I am sure that there is some interesting info on the above, but fuck, could you be bothered reading through a pile of blurb, try inserting paragraphs or something, have you ever compiled a CV and wondered how you never get invited for interviews?
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:04 am

I have constantly raved at the worsening condition of Shawlands, look at Victoria road, now a total slum, shawlands will folow, too many sub lets, too many cheapo shops,too many to let signs, too many cheapo pubs (sir John's,james tassie) too many immigrants, too much chewing gum, (check pavements from blue lagoon), i could go on,and on, by the way, what the F**K is happening to eglington street, around the area of the star bar and eglington medical centre, are they filming some kind of black ghetto drama, (not noticed any cameras) or is this for F****ing real

lord lucan wrote:god......I am sure that there is some interesting info on the above, but fuck, could you be bothered reading through a pile of blurb, try inserting paragraphs or something, have you ever compiled a CV and wondered how you never get invited for interviews?

As compared to this piece of over repeated racist shite. You think fuck offends us when you can't use capitols, punctuation nor spell Eglinton. Welcome back toss pot.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:51 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:I have constantly raved at the worsening condition of Shawlands, look at Victoria road, now a total slum, shawlands will folow, too many sub lets, too many cheapo shops,too many to let signs, too many cheapo pubs (sir John's,james tassie) too many immigrants, too much chewing gum, (check pavements from blue lagoon), i could go on,and on, by the way, what the F**K is happening to eglington street, around the area of the star bar and eglington medical centre, are they filming some kind of black ghetto drama, (not noticed any cameras) or is this for F****ing real

lord lucan wrote:god......I am sure that there is some interesting info on the above, but fuck, could you be bothered reading through a pile of blurb, try inserting paragraphs or something, have you ever compiled a CV and wondered how you never get invited for interviews?

As compared to this piece of over repeated racist shite. You think fuck offends us when you can't use capitols, punctuation nor spell Eglinton. Welcome back toss pot.

ooh am i sooo glad to be back thank you for your warm welcome dsc perhaps if you could take your head out of your PC fascist guide book and really look around you you would see Im right and if its name calling you want well im far too mature for that enjoy the punctuation check
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jonno22 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi 'Lord Lucan'. I do know what a paragraph is and yes I do have a CV also, a dam good one and its all fine. I was eager to type what I wanted to say (which you call blurb) and I was in a rush to get out the house at the time I wrote it so I was not thinking about paragraphing and whatnot.

jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Glasgow Airport Rail Link Should Happen No Matter What!

Postby jonno22 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi all. A link to a report fro the Glasgow's Evening Times newspaper website regarding the G.A.R.L. (Glasgow Airport Rail Link) Project.

GLASGOW'S airport rail link is still on track after new talks about costly engineering works near the terminal, according to officials.

Airport owner BAA and Transport Scotland have been in negotiations over the relocation of a fuel depot to allow the line to be brought into the site.

There had been fears the work would be too expensive and the potential sale of Glasgow Airport would threaten the link, planned to open before 2014.

However, talks have now ended and Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson is considering a report detailing the options.

advertisement
It's still hoped the new line from Paisley Gilmour Street to a new station at the airport will be completed and ready to take passengers to and from Glasgow Central in time for the Common-wealth Games in 2014.

Talks over the summer have focused on a solution to the fuel depot problem.

BAA Scotland said it expected clarity in the next few weeks.

A spokesman said: "We have done all that has been asked and given assurances we are committed to the link and we have signed a contract to deliver this."

BAA is appealing against a ruling from the Competition Commission to sell either Glasgow or Edinburgh airport, but it ruled out any suggestion of that affecting the rail link.

The spokesman added: "The timeline of any sale would not impact of the link. Even if the appeal is lost it could be two years before any sale. By then work will be well under way."

Tendering for the track and bridges in Paisley has been delayed until the fuel depot issue is resolved.

The cost of moving the tanks is understood to have risen from £5million to £30m.

The total cost of the project is almost £400m after the airport link was combined with re-signalling work in the Paisley area.

A Transport Scotland spokesman said: "Work on capacity improvements on the existing railway line between Glasgow Central and Paisley is already committed and well under way.

"Transport Scotland and BAA have recently concluded discussions in relation to the work in the airport campus."

The article aswell as an atrists impression at Pailsey Gilmour Street staion can be found in the link to the Evening Times website below:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/search/di ... _track.php

jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:22 pm

jonno22 wrote:yes I do have a CV also, a dam good one and its all fine

Is it watertight? :P
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Airport Rail Link Should Happen No Matter What!

Postby Autolycus » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:15 pm

jonno22 wrote:Hi all. A link to a report fro the Glasgow's Evening Times newspaper website regarding the G.A.R.L. (Glasgow Airport Rail Link) Project.

GLASGOW'S airport rail link is still on track after new talks about costly engineering works near the terminal, according to officials.

This has just been cancelled.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development