£50m building competition at School of Art

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

£50m building competition at School of Art

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:15 am

"The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) today launches an international competition to find an architect for a new building for the 2500 square metre site opposite the Mackintosh building, replacing those which currently stand on the site in Garnethill."

Isn't this the sort of nonsense which led to the Parish Cooncil building at the foot of the Canongate?

http://comments.theherald.co.uk/heraldt ... of-art.php
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: £50m building competition at School of Art

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 pm

If you mean the invitation to architects to submit their proposals for this development, and by parish cooncil you mean the Scottish Parliament, then yes. Yes I suppose it the sort of nonsense that leads to a building being built.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:11 am

crusty_bint wrote:If you mean the invitation to architects to submit their proposals for this development, and by parish cooncil you mean the Scottish Parliament, then yes. Yes I suppose it the sort of nonsense that leads to a building being built.

Curiously enough the £50m 'price' is much about the same as was originally mooted for the Parish Cooncil offices.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:57 pm

There's nothing curious about the budget, there's nothing curious about an invitation for proposals and theres no basis to compare a teaching block built by a School of Art and a Parliament built by two Governments, several tiers of Civil Servants and whose architect died three months before construction started.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:24 pm

They'd really have to put in quite an effort to come up with something worse than what's already there. Hopefully this is a trend that'll catch on.

"Here, ugly concrete boxes are shit, aren't they? Let's replace them with anything else."
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 pm

I've worked the door at the School of Art back in the old "Cool Lemon" rave days of the eighties and nineties so have had the opportunity to wander through and have a leisurely squint at the buildings 'in the raw' so to speak.

The new designers would have to go some to capture the atmosphere of the RM buildings, they simply reek of character and architectural charisma inside and out.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:54 am

Doorstop wrote:I've worked the door at the School of Art back in the old "Cool Lemon" rave days of the eighties and nineties .

Wow Doorstop ,I must have managed to get past you a fair number of times. Can you not tell when someone is ripped to the tits and out of their mash on cake ::):
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:00 am

::):

We let the mashed ones in to pay their door fee* then went hunting for them ten minutes later to blag their stash and launch them back out.

* The 'till' was a wee cardboard tray for years .. you figure out why we would prefer folks to pay in then pap them out later. :wink: *whistles nonchalantly*
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:07 am

crusty_bint wrote:There's nothing curious about the budget, there's nothing curious about an invitation for proposals and theres no basis to compare a teaching block built by a School of Art and a Parliament built by two Governments, several tiers of Civil Servants and whose architect died three months before construction started.

Which two governments do you have in mind?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:24 pm

you plank.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:30 am

crusty_bint wrote:you plank.

Fear not. It's a question which even stumps clever folk.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:27 pm

AJ

Masses go mad for the Mac

28 April, 2009

Astragal knew it would be tough to land the £50 million job of overhauling the site opposite the Mackintosh – but not this hard
According to sources on the ‘inside’, there have been more than 9,500 competition brief downloads for the contest to redevelop Glasgow School of Art’s Garnethill site opposite Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s well-known masterpiece (pictured).
Top statisticians believe this could result in more than 1,000 entries – making it the most popular architecture contest ever.
Only the Stockholm Library competition, which attracted 1,160 hopefuls vying to design the extension to Gunnar Asplund’s landmark, can come close.
And compare this with the RIBA’s recent biggee, the National Wildflower Centre contest, which mustered a paltry 160 entries.
What’s worrying Astragal is the list of names that have - allegedly - already thrown their hats into the ring.
Zaha and Foster have been rumoured to be approaching local ‘partnering’ firms. RMJM has apparently been talking to Moneo and Herzog and de Meuron is also understood to be having a pop. Look out for a bid from Stephen Holl too.
Speculation of course. But with so many ‘downloaders’ perhaps the question should be, ‘who hasn’t entered’?
Now, back to the expression of interest. ‘Has any employee whom you would propose to use to deliver this service been guilty of grave professional misconduct?….’

Hmm… a toughie to start with eh….

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 am

Here's an update with the shortlist for the proposed project

http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/gl ... tition.php

Any construction major or otherwise touches a soft spot hence the memories.

Twice a day for 6 years I walked past the Art School (my school was further up the hill) sometimes even in the winter time sliding past it on my schoolbag down to Sauchiehall Street. :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 am

Bridie wrote:Here's an update with the shortlist for the proposed project

Twice a day for 6 years I walked past the Art School (my school was further up the hill) sometimes even in the winter time sliding past it on my schoolbag down to Sauchiehall Street. :)

I was on a 66 bus yesterday with a couple of Australian tourists who needed a spot of help deciding where to get off to head up Renfrew Street to Glasgow School of Art because they'd heard 'that lovely building was going to be knocked down' :roll:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 am

onyirtodd wrote:
Bridie wrote:Here's an update with the shortlist for the proposed project

I was on a 66 bus yesterday with a couple of Australian tourists who needed a spot of help deciding where to get off to head up Renfrew Street to Glasgow School of Art because they'd heard 'that lovely building was going to be knocked down' :roll:

8O
SCARY to even think it !!!

Mind you I have it in my memory as a wee girl been taken by my uncle (retired Glasgow architect) to see the door of the Willow tearooms in Daly's.... as part of their storeroom!! Pre-tourist CRM days
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development