Tesco on Argyle Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tesco on Argyle Street

Postby barry » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:47 am

Anyone know why they moved further down the street? Seems like they've moved into a smaller property. I'd imagine the rent for the old one might be quite much?
barry
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Tesco on Argyle Street

Postby Fossil » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:14 pm

I heard that TK Maxx is moving into the Old Tesco shop
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:38 pm

barry wrote:Anyone know why they moved further down the street? Seems like they've moved into a smaller property. I'd imagine the rent for the old one might be quite much?

The lease ran out, and couldn't be renewed(don't know why)
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 am

The building that Tesco, Currys and Benny Hamish are in is still owned by Woolworths i believe so that may have somthing to do with why thy couldnt renew the lease.The Currys lease runs out next year too.The plan wasnt to renew that either.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Its_a_gamp wrote:
barry wrote:Anyone know why they moved further down the street? Seems like they've moved into a smaller property. I'd imagine the rent for the old one might be quite much?

I was told the landlord wanted an exorbitant amount and Tesco couldn't afford it, which I find difficult to believe.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Monument wrote:
Its_a_gamp wrote:

I was told the landlord wanted an exorbitant amount and Tesco couldn't afford it, which I find difficult to believe.

Not so. My daughter works for Tesco, and the lease definitely ran out and couldn't be renewed.

Floweredpigs suggestion about it being owned by Woolworths makes sense, although I thought woolworths sold a lot of there properties and leased them back long before they went bust, possibly Argyll Street was not one they sold off.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:05 pm

floweredpig wrote:The building that Tesco, Currys and Benny Hamish are in is still owned by Woolworths i believe so that may have somthing to do with why thy couldnt renew the lease.The Currys lease runs out next year too.The plan wasnt to renew that either.

I think this might be the case
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby floweredpig » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:11 pm

Having checked with someone in the know this afternoon the building was indeed handed to the administrators of Woolworths.

It was a trustworthy source.

Currys lease is up in 2010 as it was a 25 year one signed in 1985 and it wont be renewed.They werent going to renew it anyway as it was very expensive hence Jamaica St opening a few years ago which costs buttons in comparison.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Fossil wrote:
floweredpig wrote:The building that Tesco, Currys and Benny Hamish are in is still owned by Woolworths i believe so that may have somthing to do with why thy couldnt renew the lease.The Currys lease runs out next year too.The plan wasnt to renew that either.

I think this might be the case

So how come TK Max got a lease on it then?
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:27 pm

I dont know.Have TK Maxx opened or showing signs of opening?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:34 pm

If they have then the Administrators would have put a lease up on their own behalf.Tescos and Currys are leasing from Woolworths who,as we know,no longer exist.and Benny Hamish will have the Mafia behind him so he can do what he wants......Sicilian Italian Couture.

And hes from Kashmir!
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby chateaudulait » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Passed by it today and the Curry's is closed down now. Also does anyone know whats happening to the building opposite? The one where Ravel's shoeshop was based for years? They have demolition signs and herras fencing on it.
chateaudulait
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby deevlash » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:20 am

I worked there for years, Tesco weren't going to renew the lease about a year ago but some kind of last minute thing kept it going for a while. The building was at one point owned by the university of glasgow (wierd) so I dont know why woolies ended up with it again. Tesco arent overly keen on renting buildings anyway and that was one of the few that was (at the time) along with the old williams lows in Linlithgow.

The building is a mess anyway, theres only 1 working service lift, its got a sewage pump type thing between floors, it had damp, the neighbours constantly complained about noise from deliveries (dont buy a house in the centre of town morons). It has 2 entrances which was a pain in the arse to cover with security and its layout was wierd and too small. It had a total remerch planned about 4 years ago but that was scrapped as they were looking to get out then. All in all they were quite glad to get shot of it really and Ill bet the administrators just wanted to bump the rent back up after tesco had negotaited it downwards over the years.
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm

The new one's pish, it's tiny and the aisles are way too narrow. Try taking a kid in a buggy in...
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bravotwozero » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:20 am

im in the know its t k maxx that will be opening.
bravotwozero
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Development