Sighthill - Fountainwell Place Demolition

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Sighthill - Fountainwell Place Demolition

Postby Reenie Bujman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm

Nos. 2-4 and 16-18 Fountainwell Place in Sighthill are due for demolition in the near future and have been stripped for action. The rest of the estate looks rather desolate. Indeed, it gives me the creeps, more so than the cemetary next door.

I was up there the last week (Friday 30th May) and took a few photos of the "victims".

2-4 Fountainwell Place from the wall by the cemetary (looking West)

16-18 Fountainwell Place from the wall by the cemetary (looking West)

16-18 Fountainwell Place from Keppochill Drive (looking East)

Fountainwell Place from Pinkston Road railway bridge (looking North)

I was taking the last photograph by holding my camera over the high fencing and pointing it up the railway line when Mr Plod breezed by in a Transit van. He turned 'round and came back to ask what I was doing. My Canon EOS is about the size of a box brownie so it was rather obvious. Maybe he thought I was contemplating some sort of terrorist activity - like blowing down tower blocks onto railway lines, for example...

There was also a sulphurous aroma and I understand there used to be a chemical dump thereabouts. I think I'll wear my respirator next time and see what Plod makes of that.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Sighthill - Fountainwell Place Demolition

Postby hazy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Plod is still on high alert. Did you tell him you were waiting on the flats being blown up. He would have seen the funny side of it. NOT.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:55 pm

hazy wrote:Did you tell him you were waiting on the flats being blown up.

That's precisely what I told him and I won some funny looks for my troubles. Took a lot of explaining...

Eventually I played the "tourist" card and explained that we don't have tower blocks on the Somerset Levels and so away he went presumably convinced that West Country folk are barking.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:12 pm

Hey Reenie

I'm trying to make a Google map of all the demolitions planned for Glasgow. I've just begun experimenting with embedding images (so that people can try to decide where they want to stand) (assuming they actually look at it - in any case it'll help me remember where I'm going!) and I was wondering if you minded me putting your photos in there? Of course I'd give credit and a reference. If you'd rather not I completely understand. I've done one to let you see what I mean but I'll take it down straight away - here's a link to the map as it stands, zoomed in on the Sighthill site.
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Great idea, Scott. How do I move the "cameras" around? The first I clicked on was taken by the cemetery wall rather than Keppochill Drive (I did take one from there, 'tis true...)
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:00 pm

You should be able to now. Sorry, I got your photos mixed up - if you haven't made a Google Map before the default icon is a blue balloon and the easiest way to put in a photo is by editing in the 'rich text' section. You can change the icon in there too.

If anyone has any information about dates, vantage points to consider, or destruction photos they'd like to share, please feel free to stick them on the map as well!

It started as a way of helping myself keep track of what was going on but I thought it might be helpful for other folk to have a graphical point of reference as well as the threads. You can post your own info up there - there's a wee introduction section at the side, please take a second to look at it, and thanks for reading!
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:17 pm

I've added the Shawbridge photos and the rest of the Sighthill photos.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby alzaman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:39 pm

As far as i've been told, the Sighthill flats, where i lived for many years, are being demolished at on 13th July at midnight.

So i surmise that to be Saturday Night / Sunday Morning ..great for clubbers and pubbers coming home from a Saturday night screaming "Ahm sure there used tae be flats there 8O"

Scott, the Red Road flats are also due for demolition, not too sure of the time scale or what ones have been earmarked, but a great Google Map of the to be flattened parts of Glasgow. :mrgreen:
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi Alzaman - where did you hear about it? There's a discussion on another forum saying it's due for 2.30am. It's also going to be the same night/morning as the Millarston demolition in Paisley, it seems...

Scott
Glasgow Demolition Map - Feel free to add to it, but please state your sources :-)
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby alzaman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:07 pm

My mum spoke to people she still knows that live there, and they told her they were told it was midnight on 13th July .. i guess the only way to find out will be to go there before midnight incase there's a pile a dust after midnight ::):
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:29 am

238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:59 pm

scottwramsay wrote:Hi Alzaman - where did you hear about it? There's a discussion on another forum saying it's due for 2.30am. It's also going to be the same night/morning as the Millarston demolition in Paisley, it seems...

Scott
Glasgow Demolition Map - Feel free to add to it, but please state your sources :-)

scott when you said 2.30am I thought you were havin a larf. Its true guys at Network Rail have confirmed.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:18 pm

Where have GHA(?) put all the people?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alzaman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 pm

So it's still 2am on 13th of July then .. the first floodlit demolition in Scotland. Sighthill has finally made the record books :) ::):
The TImes didn't specify the date, maybe incase of any dynamite thiefs ! 8)
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:16 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Where have GHA(?) put all the people?

In Queen Street tunnel. Like GHA give a shit.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development