New cinema in Shawlands?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New cinema in Shawlands?

Postby dinkydoll » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:05 pm

Just wondered if anyone here has heard of any plans for a new cinema in Shawlands? My reliable sources have informed me that it will be where 'The Cell' nightclub is just now and will extend to the space previously occupied by an old Shawlands cinema - The White Elephant. Apparently it will have 3-4 screens and will be licensed, similiar to the Grosvenor cinema over in Ashton Lane. Sounds good to me!!! :D
dinkydoll
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: New cinema in Shawlands?

Postby My Kitten » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm

It was in the Southsider "newspaper| about 6weeks ago. The Cell nightclub is where the White Elephant cinema was.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:19 pm

my wife works in the bank opposite and she was talking to someone from g1 who told her they are seeking permission for four 100 seat cinema screens with the intention of splitting it asian/childrens/arthouse/mainstream which would be a fantastic focal point for shawlands i think you will all agree? Oh and there will be an M&S in Giffnock within a year,it would have been Shawlands if the arcade had been redeveloped sooner,been looking to open in Shawlands for the last three years but because of planning/development dragging their heels its not going to happen now.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm

There's a GlasgowStory image of how the cinema and ballroom complex looked on opening in 1927 here:
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00311

Some more info on the building can also be seen here:
http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/elephant.html

It'll be interesting to see if they do a Grosvenor/Loft and open up and restore the original ceiling etc.

I haven't seen any sign of an actual planning application for this yet, so if anyone comes across one, please let us know!

Cheers,

Nodrog

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:04 pm

floweredpig wrote:my wife works in the bank opposite and she was talking to someone from g1 who told her they are seeking permission for four 100 seat cinema screens with the intention of splitting it asian/childrens/arthouse/mainstream which would be a fantastic focal point for shawlands i think you will all agree? Oh and there will be an M&S in Giffnock within a year,it would have been Shawlands if the arcade had been redeveloped sooner,been looking to open in Shawlands for the last three years but because of planning/development dragging their heels its not going to happen now.

New M&S in giffnock....fandabidozi, where?the old safeway, or next to morrisons.
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Better news for you and your staff,Waitrose outbid M&S and are moving into the old Safeway site this year.

Enjoy your Olives.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 pm

floweredpig wrote:Better news for you and your staff,Waitrose outbid M&S and are moving into the old Safeway site this year.

Enjoy your Olives.

Brilliant.. was always scared that the old Safeway site would be took over by some horrid cheapo store like aldi,Lidl,etc., attracting riff raff, scroungers, and doleys to wonderful old giffy. Come to think of it wouldn't woolworths in shawlands make a super site for these cheapo's, or does shawlands have too many pound shops now?
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 pm

Yes because Morrisons is so upmarket isnt it?

You Giffnock folk all shop in Newton Mearns anyway dont you so you can pretend thats where you live.

Ah the shallow futility of a life spent trying to let your neighbours think you earn more than them.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:04 am

floweredpig wrote:Yes because Morrisons is so upmarket isnt it?

You Giffnock folk all shop in Newton Mearns anyway dont you so you can pretend thats where you live.

Ah the shallow futility of a life spent trying to let your neighbours think you earn more than them.

In my case my neighbours dont think they I earn more than them, they know I earn more than them. My staff have never shopped in the Mearns, its too far a walk with all those messages.
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:11 am

lord lucan wrote:In my case my neighbours dont think they I earn more than them, they know I earn more than them. My staff have never shopped in the Mearns, its too far a walk with all those messages.

Yes a weeks worth of spam must weigh alot
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:37 am

dave3009 wrote:
lord lucan wrote:In my case my neighbours dont think they I earn more than them, they know I earn more than them. My staff have never shopped in the Mearns, its too far a walk with all those messages.

But not as much as the weight of debt to maintain the facade of middle class respectability
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:00 am

floweredpig wrote:
dave3009 wrote:

But not as much as the weight of debt to maintain the facade of middle class respectability

middle class!! how dare you....also please note envy does not show you up in a good light
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:54 pm

lord lucan wrote:
floweredpig wrote:Yes because Morrisons is so upmarket isnt it?

In my case my neighbours dont think they I earn more than them, they know I earn more than them. My staff have never shopped in the Mearns, its too far a walk with all those messages.
messages? you are showing your roots there sir.New money.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:03 pm

Don't feed the animals, if lord lucan does live in Giffie then the bank will have a rod so far up their arse it'll look like a scene out of Highlander. Incidentally I did a wee search on properties in Giffnock on rightmove I have to say that sitting here surrounded by acres of vacant farm and wood land I wouldn't pay 5 times the amount and live on a postage stamp just for a G post code.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:15 pm

dave3009 wrote:Don't feed the animals, if lord lucan does live in Giffie then the bank will have a rod so far up their arse it'll look like a scene out of Highlander. Incidentally I did a wee search on properties in Giffnock on rightmove I have to say that sitting here surrounded by acres of vacant farm and wood land I wouldn't pay 5 times the amount and live on a postage stamp just for a G post code.

::): ::): ::): having come from farming stock myself i know what you mean and miss it every day i live in the city,next move will be out of town.I moved here from London 7 years ago and anything feels airy after that.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development