The Real Glasgow Conspiracy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Real Glasgow Conspiracy

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:03 pm

i've highlited this subject in the Garden festival Thread the other day, the denial of the then tory government not giving the areas around the GF site anything that was due to them, seems documents are being unearthed by the Herald on these matters.

Herald

Garden festival communities denied cash

Published on 15 Jan 2010

The communities which faced the most disruption as a result of the Glasgow Garden Festival were denied any extra cash to “take part” in the event, files have revealed.

The documents showed Central Govan, Elderpark and Linthouse community associations were encouraged by the then Housing Corporation to prepare business plans for grant funding. But they were all denied the cash.

Glasgow MP Bruce Millan had met the corporation and had added his support to the associations’ argument that they should be given additional resources in the period up to the garden festival.

He said: “The Government could ask the housing corporation to give a degree of priority to Govan if additional resources were made available.”

The housing associations did not want money taken from other areas and he supported the argument that they should be given extra resources in the period up to the garden festival.

“The Glasgow Garden Festival presented an opportunity to revitalise the south west of the city, and the three housing associations in Govan were anxious to play their part in this process by accelerating plans for housing improvements strategy,” he said.

However, Scottish Secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind said: “Additional funds for the Govan associations means equally reduced funds for someone else.

“Given the chronology I can well understand that for a considerable period the Govan associations may well have felt that they were being encouraged in their aspirations.

“But it is also clear that the Housing Corporation was giving very serious consideration to the proposals and we are highly sympathetic to them provided that the effect in other areas was not seriously deleterious.”

A document attributed to Sir Malcolm stated that “Glasgow and Govan in particular had been well favoured by the Housing Corporation and that over a number of years the corporation had given more assistance to Govan than the whole of the city of Dundee”.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Johnny_Gogo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:55 pm

This thread is top notch and well worth revival.
Johnny_Gogo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:16 pm

The Romans used to keep the plebs quiet by giving them bread and circus. We have the 2012 London Olympics and the 2014 Glasgow games. Does anyone think the Garden Festival was a waste of money? What was/is the legacy left from the Garden Festival and come to think of it the year of Culture. Glasgow Council are trying to drum up support for the idea of 2014 legacy- get all the kids active-but can us plebs afford to use the venues for various "activities" after the games are over. I can just see it " Ma wean an his pals want to use your velodrome for daein jumps an wheelies oan his second haund £79 BMX special we just picked up at ra barras" " But misses its a hi tech expensive track" " Aye but ma giro pays ma cooncil tax which paid fur it. So ahm entitled so aye'm caus I cumfae Barrafield and ahm deprived so I am cos it says so".
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Do you have any other examples of how you think Glaswegians speak? Did you take tips from Ian Pattison. He'd have used ATB rather than BMX and let his caricatures have some knowledge.

Is Bells Bridge a legacy of the Glasgow Garden Festival? Or was it just a stop on the route from Glasgow's Miles better to the tourist destination it is today?

I realise the poor in Glasgow hand over a higher percentage of their income in tax than the rest of us but they still have access to schools, libraries and museums. What does one do to encourage them to use their paid for municipal amenities?

And what about the ever increasing numbers of Glasgow cyclists. They're spread across all incomes although concentrated in the realms of the young. It will cost them less than the price of a packet of fags or about the same as their favourite beverage Buckfast. if they have a Young scot card it will be so much cheaper.

This young chap has to go to Newport to get some practice in. How much easier would it be if he only had to travel to Parkhead.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:28 pm

IIRC the Bells bridge was built mainly for the festival as the main rail link was to Exhibition Centre station and there was no other footbridge at the time
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby rico » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:54 am

I grew up during the Garden Festival and City of Culture era and think the legacy was pretty big for myself but for the city at large beyond the mentioned bridge, what about The Arches which came out of Glasgow's Glasgow. Also when was the CCA opened?

As far as the velodrome goes, I will be using it at least weekly as well as the crit circuit they are building. I think it will have a large impact on competitive cycling in scotland, because currently the best I've got is an outdoor ageing velodrome in edinburgh which each time i've tried to go has been closed due to rain, either that or a trip to manchester...
rico
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:59 am

rico wrote:I grew up during the Garden Festival and City of Culture era and think the legacy was pretty big for myself but for the city at large beyond the mentioned bridge, what about The Arches which came out of Glasgow's Glasgow. Also when was the CCA opened?

As far as the velodrome goes, I will be using it at least weekly as well as the crit circuit they are building. I think it will have a large impact on competitive cycling in scotland, because currently the best I've got is an outdoor ageing velodrome in edinburgh which each time i've tried to go has been closed due to rain, either that or a trip to manchester...

The CCA came out of the Third Eye Centre which was inspired by the Arts lab movement of the late sixties. The third eye centre went bust and the CCA has had its troubles but one could link its survival to that revival in Glasgow of a belief in municipal sponsorships of culture.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development