Postby Doorstop » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:00 pm

::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Airport Thread

Postby RDR » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:17 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:A significant number of ragged tooth pubs survived for a while but basically people moved elsewhere as they did in all the new schemes. It'll happen to the new new Gorbals as well.

And if you're missing your slum with a hoity toity inside toilet there's plenty of them in say Allison Street. All privately owned.

You know what i miss : t"heads encrusted with scabs, exudation and lice". And other slum diseases such as ringworm and chronic malnutrition.

I can't make up my mind if you are just missing the point, or just like being an intellectual arsehole?

I'm also speaking as someone who had TB, so don't find any humour at all in your supposed wit.

In any case I'm not saying for one minute everything was wonderful in the Gorbals, but making the point there was plenty of good buildings that could have been saved if some effort had been put into.

The point is that the corporation were determined to wipe the Gorbals away completely as it had become such a well know area to the detriment of the rest of the city, as they saw it.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:59 am

just like paddys.a crime ridden midden according to the council leaders whilst choosing to ignore the official stats that more crime actually took place in buchanan st in any given year.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:18 pm

banjo wrote:just like paddys.a crime ridden midden according to the council leaders whilst choosing to ignore the official stats that more crime actually took place in buchanan st in any given year.

Didn't that 'official stat' ignore the fact there are far more people on Buchanan Street on more hours of the day for more days of 'any given year' than at Paddy's?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:34 pm

banjo wrote:just like paddys.a crime ridden midden according to the council leaders whilst choosing to ignore the official stats that more crime actually took place in buchanan st in any given year.

I read this yesterday, and thought of this.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:13 pm

I saw that too. Anyway, looking at the title of this thread, I can't help thinking that air traffic control wants for appreciation these days. I see the Bermudan Thread Monster has snuck under the radar and done for one of the posts too... :P
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:I saw that too. Anyway, looking at the title of this thread, I can't help thinking that air traffic control wants for appreciation these days. I see the Bermudan Thread Monster has snuck under the radar and done for one of the posts too... :P

In the last week or so? Wasn't us, guv, as far as I know.

But anyway, you're right. Expect shunting/archiving of much of the recent posts soon. On-topic, and all that.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:15 pm

70's or 80's postcard that is up for sale on ebay, I see two British Airways Tridents and a Viscount?, I'm sure there is someone on here who can ID the cars, although even I know a scimitar and a capri.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:04 am

Bottom left, Ford Cortina Mk II, Cortina MK III Estate and Scimitar. The wee white car above them is a Fiat 126 and to the left looks like a Landcrab. There's a white Capri in the middle with a black vinyl roof and probably another behind the red roadster. The rest I can't make out but night if the photograph were larger. The blue car between Capri and Fiat is probably a Vauxhall Viva. The high-tailplane aircraft are indeed Tridents. Can't make out the other, though it does look like it might be a Viscount.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:35 pm

The Old Glasgow Club's next meeting on the 14 April is about “The History of Glasgow Airport” presented by Stuart White.

The club meets at Adelaide's, 209 Bath Street, Glasgow at 7pm for 7:30pm. Tea and coffee are available (with biscuits of course!!) at 7pm with the idea of giving people some time to chat and discuss prior to the speaker's presentation.

Visitors are most welcome at a charge of £3 per meeting
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Landcrab?! I had to have a look to see what you were talking about then the penny dropped, I've never heard them be called that before but very appropiate.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sbhedges » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:01 pm

jodieohdoh wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:Does it mention Greggs?

Aye!! Whit happened to the Greggs in departures? I wanted a steak bake & the only option I had was that up its own arse "Eat" place where you have to remortgage for a sandwich

I've heard, from people working in the airport, that Greggs was under-cutting the prices of other shops selling similar items (notably the BAA one, take what you will from that) so they were asked to leave.
Sbhedges
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Sbhedges wrote:
jodieohdoh wrote:

Aye!! Whit happened to the Greggs in departures? I wanted a steak bake & the only option I had was that up its own arse "Eat" place where you have to remortgage for a sandwich

I've heard, from people working in the airport, that Greggs was under-cutting the prices of other shops selling similar items (notably the BAA one, take what you will from that) so they were asked to leave.

Thanks Sbhedges. i take it by undercutting you meant Greggs were selling their usual range at normal street prices.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sbhedges » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Sbhedges wrote:
jodieohdoh wrote:

Thanks Sbhedges. i take it by undercutting you meant Greggs were selling their usual range at normal street prices.

Yup :D

Just to add to this thread, here's just two of the pictures of the older, much better Glasgow Airport. I have alot more but you'll probably all have seen them before, these two were the best unique ones I could find :)

(from a postcard on eBay)

(Can't remember where I got this one from..)
Sbhedges
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Haggis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:35 am

i See theres article in the herald today about meeting with brown.to look at 3 options for link to airport again.tram/train.bus lane on m8 ,and fastlink.the bus options to arent good enough.the tram/train option is only one.it could be backbone to city metro linking up with subway and argyle line.it wouldnt cost the silly money edin half a line for tourists did.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development