Glasgow Airport Thread

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Airport Thread

Postby Glasgow Man » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:47 am

Hi all, first post here, although some will know me from Skyscraper city.

Anyways, would people be interested in a thread dedicated to the happenings at Glasgow International and Glasgow Prestwick airports?

I will start of with some news from today, arguably the best news yet this year!

Daily Flights from Glasgow to Paris CDG Cleared for Take-off
Budget airline, Easyjet have today announced another new route from there base at Glasgow International, this time to Charles de Gaul airport in Paris.

The new daily service to Paris will commence on the 29th of October with fares starting from just £21.99 one-way or £45.01 including taxes.

Easyjet are the largest operator at Glasgow International Airport, with almost 2 million passengers per year. Easyjet are expecting to carry over 100.000 passengers on this route within the first 12 months of operating.

Book your Easyjet flights direct from Glasgow to Paris, Berlin, Alicante, Belfast, Bristol, Geneva, Ibiza, London Gatwick, London Luton, London Stansted, Malaga and Palma now at http://www.easyjet.com
FlyGlasgow.net
I would be grateful if you could take my survey, its on what new routes you would like to see launched from Glasgow Airport.
Glasgow Man
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:01 pm

I'll never understand why Easyjet dumped their Amsterdam route from Glasgow, it must surely have been profitable?

The environmental concerns about budget flights do niggle me, but that's not to say I don't secretly welcome a Paris option, having just taken advantage of Ryanair's introductory fares on their new Budapest route and blagged a 20 quid return for November....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:23 pm

as a fairly regular visitor to paris , 2/3 times a year , i was excited about this until i saw their prices . i have been using ryanair from prestwick, for years for my paris trips booked well in advance cost me around £32.00 return , incuding all taxes . my next trip is in september and even when you include the bus service from beauvais to paris and back to beauvais again , it still works out about £40.00 cheaper than easyjets new service , that,s enough to book another trip in the future ! 8) with this big a difference in prices i wonder just how long easyjet can maintain this route for ? .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:33 pm

yes, but Beauvais is 75 minutes away from Paris and Prestwick is 50 minutes away from Glasgow.

I usually travel from Prestwick with Ryanair when i travel abroad but i understand the appeal of that extra £40
Last edited by cheesemonster on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:26 pm

It sure beats a transfer through Heathrow and no luggage at the other end with BA.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glasgow Man » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:45 pm

I'll never understand why Easyjet dumped their Amsterdam route from Glasgow, it must surely have been profitable?

Indeed it was profitable, it was axed along with a number of other Amsterdam routes due to a fall-out between Easyjet and Amsterdam Airport regarding a landing fees price hike by AMS management.

Since then the problems have been sorted out and Easyjet have added new routes from Amsterdam, unfortunately not Glasgow, yet.

Code: Select all
The environmental concerns about budget flights do niggle me, but that's not to say I don't secretly welcome a Paris option, having just taken advantage of Ryanair's introductory fares on their new Budapest route and blagged a 20 quid return for November....

If you ask me its like likes of British Airways you need to worry about, older/dirtier aircraft, non-direct flights from anywhere outside London, this causing people to take four flights for a return journey rather than two.

Also most BA long haul are operated with 747, four engines are much “dirtier” than the budget airlines two engines.

with this big a difference in prices i wonder just how long easyjet can maintain this route for ?

Like chesemonster said, Ryanair fly PIK to BVA, Easyjet are offering a daily flights between the two cities main airports, thousands of people, myself included will pay a bit extra to travel from Glasgow International over Glasgow Prestwick.

Anyways, there is room for the existing double daily Ryanair service, a double-daily Easyjet service (at the moment just once daily) and hopefully in the future a 2 or 3x daily Air France service.

Glasgow to Paris is a HUGELY underserved market at the moment, as indeed more European cities are underserved or not served atoll from GLA.

It sure beats a transfer through Heathrow and no luggage at the other end with BA.

:) so true, driving to Paris beats the dreaded “Heathrow Slog”.
FlyGlasgow.net
I would be grateful if you could take my survey, its on what new routes you would like to see launched from Glasgow Airport.
Glasgow Man
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glasgow Man » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:21 pm

Flights for the new Glasgow to Paris service are now on sale at easyjet.com, most flights available from £40 return including taxes.

http://www.easyjet.com
FlyGlasgow.net
Glasgow Man
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby mr moto » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Glasgow Man wrote:Flights for the new Glasgow to Paris service are now on sale at easyjet.com, most flights available from £40 return including taxes.

£40.00 return ? now that sounds better , i must have got my wires crossed when reading your first post about this , glasgow man , i read it as £40.00
one way :roll: . thank,s for that info :D
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glasgow Man » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:48 pm

mr moto wrote:
Glasgow Man wrote:Flights for the new Glasgow to Paris service are now on sale at easyjet.com, most flights available from £40 return including taxes.

£40.00 return ? now that sounds better , i must have got my wires crossed when reading your first post about this , glasgow man , i read it as £40.00
one way :roll: . thank,s for that info :D

Yea I just noticed the mistake in my initial post, it should have said one-way flights for £20 and return flights from £40. :)
FlyGlasgow.net
Glasgow Man
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:55 pm

i fly from prestwick when i book wi seguro, infact going from there on 20th august,

even tho i stay in larkhall prestwick is the easiest one to get to from here
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glasgow Man » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:02 am

nuttytigger wrote:i fly from prestwick when i book wi seguro, infact going from there on 20th august,

even tho i stay in larkhall prestwick is the easiest one to get to from here

I'm in Larkhall quite often and to be honest, Larkhall to Glasgow International only takes me around 30mins to drive, its Motorway the whole way.
FlyGlasgow.net
Glasgow Man
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glasgow Man » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:02 am

FlyGlobespan Axe Boston Route, North West Airline Set to Announce Glasgow to Boston
Glasgow based budget carrier, FlyGlobespan will axe there daily Glasgow to Boston service at the beginning of November, just seven months after the route was launched.

An official from Boston Logan International Airport said that the airline will suspend the flights from November 1 until at least mid-March.

Although this is disappointing news for Glasgow Airport, Detroit based national carrier, North West Airlines have applied to the United States Department of Transport for a licence that would allow them to fly daily, and all year round between both Boston and Detroit to Glasgow International.

North West Airlines formerly carried over 15,000 passengers per month on there Glasgow to Boston route before it was axed due to a new partnership with Dutch Airline, KLM which say all European flights being operated trough Amsterdam.
FlyGlasgow.net
Glasgow Man
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glasgow Man » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:03 am

Appalling Passenger Numbers at Glasgow Airport
The July 2007 passenger figures are shocking, no other way to put it. For the first July in four years, Glasgow handled under 1million passengers in the month, infact it was so bad only 879,740 passengers passed trough the airport, that’s a loss off 4,983.0 passengers compared to the same month last year, down 6.4%.

There is no excuse for this from BAA, there management of Scotland’s premier airport is appalling, and this is the final straw for me.
Last edited by Glasgow Man on Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyGlasgow.net
Glasgow Man
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:11 am

I always try to fly from Prestwick
Great airport, and it always seems quicker for checking in, boarding and at the bar.

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Mori » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:49 pm

I always try to fly from Prestwick

The traitor that You are Fosy. tut tut
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next