Parking Charges

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Parking Charges

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:36 pm

Glasgow bids to charge drivers for parking anywhere

ET

MOTORISTS in Glasgow could be hit by parking fees on all city journeys, under controversial plans to cut congestion.

The city council wants to see the introduction of fees at workplaces, entertainment venues and out of town shopping centres.

The move is part of a plan to reduce pollution and carbon emissions in the city.

Council bosses claim the latest local transport strategy will persuade more people to cycle, walk or take public transport.

advertisementBut motoring groups warned the plans are likely to be unpopular if applied to workplaces and shopping centres, such as Glasgow Fort at Easterhouse and Braehead, Renfrewshire, where motorists expect free parking.

Glasgow Chamber of Commerce warned local businesses could be badly hit by the proposals.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:53 pm

It will encourage me to go and get a job outside of Glasgow. It would cost me double to take public transport into work than drive and would would take 40 minutes as opposed to 10 minutes. That makes a difference of 30 quality duvet minutes I might add. :evil:
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:37 pm

It shouldn't be localised (as both Mori 'Glasgow Chamber of Commerce warned local businesses could be badly hit by the proposals.' and Scallop 'It will encourage me to go and get a job outside of Glasgow.') imply.

Implemented nationwide, it is a great idea.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:45 pm

I can't see it going further josef... the public outcry will be too one sided and local businesses will end up rebeling against the high rates that they pay.

In order to survive local busineses need their influx of clientele which most of own cars.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:49 pm

I work in cambuslang theres no way id use public transport to get there, too hard

For a 6am start forget it. First train at 06.45, need at least 2 buses or 2/3 trains.

Altho if i go a wandering i use trains and buses as i prefer to make a day of it.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:54 am

They need to improve the public transport first before weilding the big stick.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:21 am

Why don't they try converting car parks into eighteenth-century tenements? Solve a few problems at once, there.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Another great idea by GCC and Mr Purcell which will probably go nowhere. Was this in the Labour Council Manifesto before the elections? It's to keep Purcell's profile high in the eyes of the Scottish Executive as he's looking to move into national government at the next elections. How on earth would this be policed? They can't keep up with illegal parking in the city as it is.

I could kick those who voted that wee jobby Purcell back into the council. What's wrong with them? :evil:
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Its getting worse by the day. :?

Tax on the sick’

DOZENS of Glasgow health workers today staged a protest over new parking charges to be imposed at the city's hospitals.

They waved placards and chanted "No to parking charges" as they lobbied a meeting of health board NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde in North Street, near Charing Cross.

The fees, ranging from £1 for up to two hours and to £7 for over five hours, will come into force for staff and visitors at Yorkhill, the Western, Gartnavel and the Victoria on July 29. They will then be brought in at the Southern General and Stobhill Hospital in November, and the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley the following month.

Speaking at the protest, Anne McGinley, Glasgow branch secretary of health union Unison, said the charges were imposed "without proper consultation and discussion with the trade unions".

She added: We don't think any charges are acceptable. This is a stealth tax disguised under a different name. It is a tax on our hospital staff and on the sick and their relatives."

The board said permits would be available for staff.

However, Ms McGinley said: "The majority of staff will not qualify for these permits. Without a permit staff are looking at paying £7 a day, that's £35 a week, £140 a month."

Carol Cairns, 46, theatre sister at Gartnavel General, said: "We have been told we are non-essential staff and won't qualify for the permits."

Steven Campbell, 41, a nurse at Gartnavel Royal, added: "Why should health workers have to pay for parking and why should the sick be taxed?

"I work in psychiatry and some relatives travel from as far as Dumbarton and Clydebank. They might wait hours for a relative to be assessed, in which case they will be paying a fortune to park."

Unison's regional organiser for Glasgow and Clyde, Matt McLaughlin, has raised the issue with Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon.

The board made no comm
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:48 pm

Is Braehead in Glasgow or renfrewshire council's patch?

I know it's on the border and from the press it seems that Glasgow intend to make the charges there and managenent have an opinion about it, but I was pretty sure that all but a small part of braehead was in renfrewshire

*puzzled
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:04 pm

JayKay wrote:Is Braehead in Glasgow or renfrewshire council's patch?

I know it's on the border and from the press it seems that Glasgow intend to make the charges there and managenent have an opinion about it, but I was pretty sure that all but a small part of braehead was in renfrewshire

*puzzled

When it was built all of the shopping centre was in Glasgow - apart from the last 2-3 tills in Sainsbury's. The boundary has since been changed to KGV docks and the whole development is in Renfrewshire.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:13 am

Mori wrote:However, Ms McGinley said: "The majority of staff will not qualify for these permits. Without a permit staff are looking at paying £7 a day, that's £35 a week, £140 a month."

Not really. At GRI, staff have been given NHS permits at £25 a month, or they can purchase permits directly from the company running the car park at £45.

I agree that parking is a contentious issue at hospitals but the parking around hospitals was such that staff were nabbing all the free spaces and visitors and patients at hospitals were having to pay at car parks anyway.

You can't please everybody. However, asking folk then to pay to park if they're going to Tesco and the GCC get the money is a real cheek. Out of town parking is, for the most part, pretty plentiful.

This is nothing to do with the environment and all to do with making cash.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:40 am

Mori wrote:Speaking at the protest, Anne McGinley […] added: We don't think any charges are acceptable. This is a stealth tax disguised under a different name.

It'd be a bit of a shit stealth tax otherwise, though, wouldn't it? More of an obvious tax, in fact.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deevlash » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Josef wrote:It shouldn't be localised (as both Mori 'Glasgow Chamber of Commerce warned local businesses could be badly hit by the proposals.' and Scallop 'It will encourage me to go and get a job outside of Glasgow.') imply.

Implemented nationwide, it is a great idea.

No it isnt, unless your a sandal wearing pinko lentlisit. Cars are already taxed for their use twice, road tax and petrol tax. Theres still no conclusive proof to link cars to global warming (Mars has warmed up too of late, and theres no green men in hummers up there) As a plan to ease congestion its just lazy politicing to get more money. Its easier to tax something as opposed to making the public transport usealble and affordable to all. The biggest problem however is that the people who use public transport are in general, scum. I dont want to have to pay to sit next to some smelly methadone ridden junkie or nutter in a hi vis vest with jester hat. Plus if I go to town shopping, Im going to buy less if I have to humph it back on a crappy train as opposed to my own car which will affect city centre businesses and leading directly to the death of town centres and result in them becoming over run with shitty pound shops and dubious "leather goods" shops.
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:51 am

As a plan to ease congestion its just lazy politicing to get more money. Its easier to tax something as opposed to making the public transport usealble and affordable to all. The biggest problem however is that the people who use public transport are in general, scum.

I see the usual standard of eveidence offered by the car owning nutters is being maintained.

I speak of course as a car owning, bicycle riding, pedestrian who uses public transport.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development