Polmadie Regeneration

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Polmadie Regeneration

Postby Socceroo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:48 pm

I had a good look at some of the housing that is being built down at Polmadie today. I'll post some Photo's later.

There is a mix of new build for sale and Housing Association stock.

The quality of the materials is quite shocking, it nothing like the standard of build achieved in the Gorbals over the last ten years.

Apart from the usual expanse of white render which is to be expected these days, there is cheap coloured Concrete Blocks / reconstituted Stone with coloured mortar and dodgy coloured cheap windows. The buildings are absolutely featureless.

In fact they do not look that different from the 1930's Tenements that were there previously which were built out of Oatmeal coloured Concrete Blocks.

I see there is also Apartments getting built with better quality materials. No doubt the cheaper looking builds are the Housing Association / Rental stock. :x
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:54 pm

I quite liked the tenements in Oatlands and I fear the replacements. Ive only passed by, havent had a good look about yet.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Polmadie Regeneration

Postby bAzTNM » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:51 am

Yeah, I know somebody who was moved out of one of the old Oatlands properties into one of the new ones and he much preferred his old house. He feel he has been conned big time.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu May 17, 2012 10:55 am

I know I am going to get pilloried for saying this, but was the M74 Extension not supposed to spark "regeneration" in Polmadie with the increased vehicular footfall through the area?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 17, 2012 12:06 pm

No.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Fri May 18, 2012 6:01 am

Traffic is terrible on Polmadie Road these days. A very, VERY busy road now.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... NBL4MLb0II

CONVERTERS HAVE YOUR SAY ON PLANS FOR NEW WASTE HANDLING PLANT

ET

A PUBLIC consultation was launched today to give people the chance to have their say on a planned £154million rubbish recycling plant in Glasgow.

The community consultation will last 12 weeks and the company behind the plant will inform locals about the centre, which will turn waste into electricity.
The huge "energy-from-waste" facility will be built in Polmadie, in the South Side, and process up to 200,000 tonnes of domestic rubbish each year, as reported by the Evening Times last November.
Despite opposition from SNP and Green Party councillors, Glasgow City Council gave the site the go-ahead in December.It is due to open by 2015.
Steven Don, Scottish regional manager for sustainable waste company Viridor, said: "Our commitment is to support Glasgow City Council in achieving its ambitious aim of becoming one of Europe's most sustainable cities through enhanced recycling and recovering green energy from what remains."
Recycling bosses say the 25-year contract will save the city £254m and the equivalent of 28,000 tonnes of CO² every year.
The plant should generate enough energy to power the equivalent of 20,000 households and heat the equivalent of 8000 homes from the non-recyclable waste that remains.
Bosses have avoided calling the new plant an "incinerator" because it is different from traditional incinerators, which burned rubbish, releasing dangerous toxins in the air.
Although environmental campaigners and some engineers would call the waste-to-energy plant an incinerator, the plant will use hi-tech systems to turn non-recyclable rubbish into gas – and then burn that gas to create steam and drive electricity turbines.
Bosses say up to 250 jobs will be created, including 25 apprenticeships, and will boost local businesses throughout the building programme.
Mr Don added: "Our proposed centre represents the next generation of sustainable waste plants akin to what it is established in Norway, Sweden and Holland, built to the highest standards and providing significant benefits to the people in the surrounding areas and across Greater Glasgow, through jobs, investment and economic growth.
"We are keen to hear from the community. We are committed to listening and responding to questions or concerns and will continue to work hard alongside the city council to keep people informed as we progress."
Viridor, a recycling, renewable energy and sustainable waste management company, was awarded the contract to handle Glasgow's domestic residual waste after a 22-month tender process.
But environment campaigners oppose the energy-from-waste approach. They say such plants create an incentive for councils to produce more rubbish and recycle less.
The Unison, Unite and GMB trade unions also wrote to every Glasgow councillor urging opposition to the plant.
There will be a series of public events on June 18 and 19 at the Royal Concert Hall; June 21 at the Larkfield Centre; and June 22 and 23 at Toryglen Community Football Centre.
You can also have your say at http://www.transformingwasteinglasgow.com or at Twitter feed @viridor_glasgow
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:16 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Anybody know if they are doing anything regarding the Richmond Park end of Polmadie Road? (the Glasgow Green end, not the Aitkenhead Road bit). It is an absolute tip and that poor church is just sitting there ramshackled, the old allotments look a state too. Taking a video there today and didn't notice some smackhead staggering towards me like something from "Night of the Living Dead". "That's a nice camera you've got there". Luckily I had my bike and sped off. . I believe I saw 2 rats running about that area of the street too.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:50 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Anybody know if they are doing anything regarding the Richmond Park end of Polmadie Road? (the Glasgow Green end, not the Aitkenhead Road bit). It is an absolute tip and that poor church is just sitting there ramshackled, the old allotments look a state too. Taking a video there today and didn't notice some smackhead staggering towards me like something from "Night of the Living Dead". "That's a nice camera you've got there". Luckily I had my bike and sped off. . I believe I saw 2 rats running about that area of the street too.

You appear, sir, to be a remarkably unlucky individual.

Parts of the city that most of us are able to negotiate unmolested by man or beast apparently metamorphose into minefields of vermin, lowlife and aggressive illegal immigrants at the very hint of your presence.

My commiserations. It must be dreadful.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Josef wrote:
bAzTNM wrote:Anybody know if they are doing anything regarding the Richmond Park end of Polmadie Road? (the Glasgow Green end, not the Aitkenhead Road bit). It is an absolute tip and that poor church is just sitting there ramshackled, the old allotments look a state too. Taking a video there today and didn't notice some smackhead staggering towards me like something from "Night of the Living Dead". "That's a nice camera you've got there". Luckily I had my bike and sped off. . I believe I saw 2 rats running about that area of the street too.

You appear, sir, to be a remarkably unlucky individual.

Parts of the city that most of us are able to negotiate unmolested by man or beast apparently metamorphose into minefields of vermin, lowlife and aggressive illegal immigrants at the very hint of your presence.

My commiserations. It must be dreadful.

Ah! You noticed too? :)
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm just the first one to break cover. I can't believe that none of you heartless bastards have expressed your sympathy for the poor unfortunate chap before now.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:53 am

It's bloody true! He didn't look tough though.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:27 am

got off lightly there baz,i was fearing that evidence please was going to rear its ugly face.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 am

banjo wrote:got off lightly there baz,i was fearing that evidence please was going to rear its ugly face.

:-)
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development