Gorbals redevelopment history - Can anyone help?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Gorbals redevelopment history - Can anyone help?

Postby Brodie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:32 pm

I'm researching someone's family history and like to put in more than just names and dates. The family were Irish immigrants and lived in South Coburg St and Hospital Street in the Gorbals around 1890. I've read loads about the Gorbals and to me it seems the area has been twice 'round the circle' - decay, demolition, rebuilding, decay, demolition, rebuilding. I've also read about overcrowding due to the influx of immigrants, with large families living in one room.

What I can't quite fathom is what it would have been like in those two streets in 1890. I get the impression that the family would have been living in a tenement built after 1860 and that those tenements will now have been demolished. But had the process of decay already started again in 1890? Were the family relatively comfortable or were they living in overcrowded and insanitary conditions?

Can anyone set me straight on the history of those streets?

Brodie
Brodie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby duck » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi Brodie, interested to just find your post! I've done a lot of research on my family history and whilst I can't give a definitive answer I can give you my thoughts.
My great grandfather came to Glasgow from Co derry and married in 1868. He then went back to Ireland, had my grandfather and other children over there and came back to Glasgow about 1881. The family lived around the area for the next few years - Cumberland St, crown st etc. My great uncle Thomas was born in Hospital st in 1884. Around this time my g.g.father applied to the Poor Law for medical assistance as all his six children had chicken pox. He is stated as having been unemployed for the past six months. So i think that the area was still pretty much not the most desirous of areas! Hope this helps
David
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Gorbals history

Postby Brodie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks David - that's exactly my thoughts. I just can't quite put my finger on when the tenements in that area started to go downhill.

Brodie
Brodie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:00 am

Have tried asking at the Mitchell if they have any old history books about the Gorbals or even if they have information on old photos?

I am sure they would be happy to help you with your research. There may even be a local history group that has done some research and left it at the Mitchell.

I will ask the local Councillor if he has any information that may be of assistance to you.

My wife's brother-in-law's family came from the Gorbals as well as members of another family I have been researching.

I'll try and get back to you once I speak with the Councillor. He knows a lot about the Gorbals.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Gorbals redevelopment history - Can anyone help?

Postby pwm437 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:03 pm

Brodie wrote:I'm researching someone's family history and like to put in more than just names and dates. The family were Irish immigrants and lived in South Coburg St and Hospital Street in the Gorbals around 1890. I've read loads about the Gorbals and to me it seems the area has been twice 'round the circle' - decay, demolition, rebuilding, decay, demolition, rebuilding. I've also read about overcrowding due to the influx of immigrants, with large families living in one room.

What I can't quite fathom is what it would have been like in those two streets in 1890. I get the impression that the family would have been living in a tenement built after 1860 and that those tenements will now have been demolished. But had the process of decay already started again in 1890? Were the family relatively comfortable or were they living in overcrowded and insanitary conditions?

Coburg Street : Ran from 119 Oxford Street to 84 Bedford Street, and was naed after the town of Coburg, which is in the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. At number 71 stood the Guild of Aid hall, next to the garage premises of Hunter, Barr & Co. Ltd. Kinning Park Co-op had an office at number 12 which was built in 1910 to a design by Bruce & Hay (still standing). Number 32 was known as the Coronation Buildings.

Hospital Street : Ran from 34 Adelphi Street to 53 Cathcart Road, and named after St. Ninians hospital which stood in the vicinity, founded in 1350 by Lady Lochow, and used as a leper hospital. The tenement at numbers 190 to 192 was designed by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson.

Can anyone set me straight on the history of those streets?

Brodie
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development