Park Circus

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby deebers » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:35 pm

It's a pity quality stone masonry is so expensive now. It would have been much better for Glasgow to complete the circle with the traditional design.

I can see that the architects are sort of trying to complement the existing buildings by using sandstone, but I doubt they will stand the test of time like the older buildings have. I hope I'm wrong and we'll be pleasantly surprised by them. But my theory is - historic and pivotal site - don't mix the old with the new.
Ehhh... cool. Whatever you say, I'm sorry. You're the man. The dude in the chair.
View my Blog
deebers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby little lane » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:50 am

deebers wrote:But my theory is - historic and pivotal site - don't mix the old with the new.

The only way to not mix the 'old' with the 'new' is to not build at all. Anything at all you build, is going to be new anyway!

Trying to build something that looks old, never works, or it has to be done to such a high standard that it just wouldn't work out financially viable.

I'd rather they were honest about what they build. Granted, not everyone likes the steel and glass boxes that are popping up everywhere, but at least they are honest to what they are, new builds.

But of course whatever they do build, should at least compliment what it sits along side and not just totally disregard it completely, which I admit some of the new stuff in Glasgow does.
little lane
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

little lane wrote:
deebers wrote:But my theory is - historic and pivotal site - don't mix the old with the new.

The only way to not mix the 'old' with the 'new' is to not build at all. Anything at all you build, is going to be new anyway!

Trying to build something that looks old, never works, or it has to be done to such a high standard that it just wouldn't work out financially viable.

I'd rather they were honest about what they build. Granted, not everyone likes the steel and glass boxes that are popping up everywhere, but at least they are honest to what they are, new builds.

But of course whatever they do build, should at least compliment what it sits along side and not just totally disregard it completely, which I admit some of the new stuff in Glasgow does.

hear hear - best post on this thread yet

:)
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 pm

lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Park Circus

Postby MungoDundas » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Grtz,

Half the big museum on Chambers street in Edinburgh is closed for refurb, however the modern bit next door has a handful of the collection on display.

Bimbled upon a wee model of Lynedoch Place Glasgow, showing 'Proposed Sheltered Housing' & 'Disputed Office Development'. Need to drive up there to figure out how this computes.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development