Park Circus

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Park Circus

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:49 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/5059634.shtml

A DEVELOPER which sparked outrage over controversial flat plans has returned with new proposals.
Stewart Milne Group has submitted a fresh application for a £15million plan to build 107 apartments and a 115-space underground car park in Park Circus Lane and Park Quadrant.
A previous plan for the historic terrace was thrown out after a storm of protest.
Historic Scotland, the Architectural Heritage Society and residents claimed the contemporary design "vandalised" a conservation area of outstanding architectural beauty.
However, Stewart Milne said its plans were drawn up after consultation with the city council's planning department, Historic Scotland and local residents.
The firm said it employed Page and Park Architects to design a development in keeping with the area.
If the application goes ahead, the homes will cover 5907sq m and a communal garden will be built on top of the underground car park.
A spokeswoman for Historic Scotland said the group had been in talks with the developer and local authority.
The spokeswoman said: "This affects one of the best examples of 19th century planned development in the UK with beautiful terraces, tenements and public buildings.
"We have received the application and will make our formal comments to Glasgow City Council."
Architectural consultant Neil Baxter said: "I haven't seen the new plans so I cannot comment specifically on them. However, the area badly needs developed."
Local householders have voiced their disapproval of the plans.
Martin Mann, of Wilton Street, said: "Every green space in Glasgow is being built upon. We don't need any more flats."
A spokesman for the Stewart Milne Group said: "We have worked hard on this project and are awaiting a decision from Glasgow City Council."
A previous application for the site was made in 2002 but thrown out.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:05 am

Yikes, I saw that, looks like a nightmare (only saw the online version though). But is there an empty space there, or are they knocking something down?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:50 am

There is a very big gap site.

Must be quite painful owning it but not getting yer plans though ::):
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sunflower » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Ah yes, Google Earth shows it full of nice trees, it's been a gap for a while then? Maybe we could discover some rare beetles or something.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Sunflower wrote:Ah yes, Google Earth shows it full of nice trees, it's been a gap for a while then? Maybe we could discover some rare beetles or something.

Its been a gap site since the mid 60's AFAIK. Before that I believe it was used as hockey pitches for the girls of The Park School.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:11 pm

Christ, is it going to be another collection of MFI flats :roll:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:31 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Sunflower wrote:Ah yes, Google Earth shows it full of nice trees, it's been a gap for a while then? Maybe we could discover some rare beetles or something.

Its been a gap site since the mid 60's AFAIK. Before that I believe it was used as hockey pitches for the girls of The Park School.

It's been a gap site since it was built as the developers ran out of money in the 1850s.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:35 pm

stinkpad wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

It's been a gap site since it was built as the developers ran out of money in the 1850s.

Indeed, was it not because it was too near to Woodlands and the poor(er) people there?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:41 pm

My Kitten wrote:Indeed, was it not because it was too near to Woodlands and the poor(er) people there?

No, Woodlands was a lower-middle class area at that time, a nice respectable area. The poor people lived in Cowcaddens. The original plans for the South Claremont Estate were to have 2 concentric circles of housing. I can't remember exactly what happened (i was quite young at the time :wink: ) but the developers either didn't have enough subscriptions or ran out of money to complete the project.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:42 pm

stinkpad wrote:
My Kitten wrote:Indeed, was it not because it was too near to Woodlands and the poor(er) people there?

No, Woodlands was a lower-middle class area at that time, a nice respectable area. The poor people lived in Cowcaddens. The original plans for the South Claremont Estate were to have 2 concentric circles of housing. I can't remember exactly what happened (i was quite young at the time :wink: ) but the developers either didn't have enough subscriptions or ran out of money to complete the project.

But it wouldve been scummy if you were buying a house at Park Circus would it not? IIRC thats what the Doors Open Day guide wummin said on the park tour. :wink:
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:50 pm

My Kitten wrote:
stinkpad wrote:

But it wouldve been scummy if you were buying a house at Park Circus would it not? IIRC thats what the Doors Open Day guide wummin said on the park tour. :wink:

It certainly wouldn't have had the views over the west end park but there's a bit of green ground in front and its high enough up to look over Woodlands.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:56 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:04 pm

I like how the bottom right hand picture has air brushed the hamburger stall out. And I hope all the potential home buyers know that the Hack drivers sit there 7 nights a week.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:26 pm

Mori wrote:Image

That is truly awful, whatever happened to craftsmanship? Is it all done on computers these days?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ozneil » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Its terrible!!! It has to be stopped!!! It will spoil Park Circus area which is one of the best examples of Victorian town planning left. It was designed by Charles Wilson in 1850s. He was a very much under rated Architect/developer.

In my humble opinion the proposed development is totally out of character, would be more appropriate in Legoland, thats only my opinion though, Ithink Page & Park should turn over a new leaf!!!

I worked for several years in one of the terrace houses in Park Circus Place. It was "unrenovated", though well maintained, and was a magnificent place to work,though a trifle chilly in winter. The architectural detailing was magnificent. There were even carriage mounting blocks over the gutters outside some front doors. The ambience of the area made it seem that made it seem like being in a more genteel age. It is a fantastic spot dont let anyone f**k it up!!! It has to be left open space surely the Local Authoriy can cough up enough brass to buy it.

In late 60's Parking meters were banned because it would bugger up the street scape & also bugger up my parking!!!
ozneil
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development