Central Govan Masterplan

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Central Govan Masterplan

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:32 pm

Some Images of the Central Govan Masterplan.

Last edited by Mori on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Good too see the building comming to some good use.

Quote:
http://www.glasgowcitycouncil.co.uk...f7+3f8+3f9+3fa+

Glasgow City Council
Development and Regeneration Services (Property) Sub-
Committee
Report by Director of Development and Regeneration Services
Proposed Refurbishment of Former Orkney Street Police Station
and Development of Adjacent Sites
Purpose of Report:
To advise members of proposals being developed to refurbish the former Orkney Street Police
Station into a small business and training centre, and to develop adjacent sites for private
residential development.
Recommendations:
It is recommended that the Sub-Committee:
(a) Agree in principle to lease the former Orkney Street Police Station to Govan Initiative on
terms still to be agreed to allow it to be refurbished.
(b) Recommend to the Policy and Resources Committee that up to £500,000 of the capital
receipt to be generated by the disposal of adjacent sites for residential development should
be allocated to the refurbishment project.
(c) Authorise the marketing of the sites detailed in the report for residential development.
(d) Note that Council funding for the project may be included within the submission currently
being prepared for the second round of City Growth Fund.
(e) Note that a further report on the project will be brought back to the Committee for decision
providing full details of the overall development proposal and the terms of disposal of the site.

Proposed new transport hub @ Govan X

Proposed new Housing @ Water Row
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:34 am

The first image is so Sixties. Let's hope they don't go down that road again. Yes, they look great on paper (or screen) but the reality is so much different. There are so many buildings to be seen which obviously looked good on paper but are a big sore thumb on the street. For example, the low rises in Hutchesontown, now gone. And the Gorbals high rises to name a couple. I am sure that Castlemilk, Drumchapel and Easterhouse all looked good on paper too. Now they're needing some major work. The original theory was sincere. To rid the city of some massively inferior housing but in practice huge areas of nothing but houses in the middle of nowhere was a recipe for the disaster they became. The planners ripped the heart out of many areas of the city. I hope they don't do it to Govan too.
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:59 am

Not 'sixtiesophobia' again! ::): The hearts of so many of these places beat their last years ago. Sometimes a heart transplant is required...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:21 pm

Not more artist's impressions. Makes me want to throw up. Rant over.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:17 pm

But I thought that the Govan Cross area had already been redeveloped around 15 or so years ago :?: And look what happened to that master plan. Can't the great and good that come up with these barmy schemes just sit back a wee bit and analyse just what went wrong in the first place before blowing an awful lot of money on the latest scheme. It makes me :cry: mad :cry:
It would be nice, mind you, to see a real aerial photo taken in the last 10 or so years to compare with the artist's aerial sketch just to see what will be different. I can't see an awful lot of difference around the Langlands Road area. The riverside stuff I expected(is that idylic wee stream with a bit of ferryboat meant to be the Clyde?), and a tidy up/rethink around the abysmal bus/subway station area is overdue, but to attach a label like the Central Govan MasterPlan is a bit much.
But there again, I'm not a politician.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alasdair » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:25 pm

The planners have made the same mistake, yet again, that they first made in the 1950s: flat roofs, building materials with a short lifespan, and loud colours which clash with their surroundings.

As you say, artists' impressions are hopelessly optimistic re- the weather, local environment and cleanliness. They are misleading.

Is any socially-owned housing being built?
Does this amount to gentrification?

In any case, a redevelopment of the subway and bus station is most welcome.

Sincerely,
I.M. Disgusted
(Jordanhill)
Alasdair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby crazygray23 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:04 pm

going by those plans are we to see the govan shopping centre re developed and expanded or being pulled down completely, the new subway looks good but an all glass affair in govan isnt a good idea imo
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:20 pm

crazygray23 wrote:going by those plans are we to see the govan shopping centre re developed and expanded or being pulled down completely, the new subway looks good but an all glass affair in govan isnt a good idea imo

They tried the glass approach at the bus station and guess what?
They then tried the plastic approach, that didn't work either. Now
they have gone for the wind tunnel approach. (Let the feckers
freeze waiting for a bus). :evil:
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:29 pm

ramor69 wrote:
crazygray23 wrote:going by those plans are we to see the govan shopping centre re developed and expanded or being pulled down completely, the new subway looks good but an all glass affair in govan isnt a good idea imo

They tried the glass approach at the bus station and guess what?
They then tried the plastic approach, that didn't work either. Now
they have gone for the wind tunnel approach. (Let the feckers
freeze waiting for a bus). :evil:

:) the bus station doesnt provide shelter as it is, as for redevelopment lets get the govan shopping centre renovated.(maybe we can get a mini silverburn) and give the existing subway and others an overhaul rebuilding stations isnt the way, giving govan a lick of paint and brightening it up would do wonders
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby smartie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Looks like the set of Logans Run !!
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:41 pm

where can i see the plans in better detail? im intrested in the top down view of the proposed new subway station and shopping centre
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:51 pm

where can i see the plans in better detail? im intrested in the top down view of the proposed new subway station and shopping centre

No such detailed plans for the public to view as of yet Gary.. but the company that are doing the feasibility studies are http://www.mcinally-associates.co.uk/govan.htm

and also http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=262513

hope this helps
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:43 pm

Mori wrote:

No such detailed plans for the public to view as of yet Gary.. but the company that are doing the feasibility studies are http://www.mcinally-associates.co.uk/govan.htm

and also http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=262513

hope this helps

:) my names not gary its graeme and thanks :)
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:16 pm

No such detailed plans for the public to view as of yet Gary.. [/quote]

:) my names not gary its graeme and thanks :)

:) Sorry Graeme :oops: i'm making your ID Name Crazy GRAY to Gary.

:D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development