The Barras and its future

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Barras and its future

Postby ibtg » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

'Voices from the Barras' by Diversity Films.

http://diversityfilms.org.uk/index.php/category/barras/
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:41 am

ibtg wrote:'Voices from the Barras' by Diversity Films.

http://diversityfilms.org.uk/index.php/category/barras/

Did we not see it at The Old Glasgow Club last month Liz? Yes we did ::):
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 am

Well whatever happened to all the energy about the new barras centre and it's promise as a centre for small fashion business in a portobello style market? It all seems to have fallen flat. For whatever reasons, Che Camille pulled out and the Made in the Shade girls too. It's really gutting as it all seemed so promising and exciting last autumn and the regular craft market in the central area of the barras centre was potentially a real draw.

I get the impression there's some elements of the organisation at the Barras that really does not have a clue. That venue, properly promoted and organised could plug a real gap in Glasgow and really pull people in. There's a lack of provision of low priced units for the rapidly increasing number of tiny independent businesses in the city. Yet most of theirs lie empty in an ideal venue, and all the plans - which could really have worked for the businesses and for the greater market - have fizzled out.

I don't go for sports socks or knock-offs. I went for the vintage stuff and the quirkier and cheaper antiques. And, latterly the Made in the Shade market. But it's all these things that seem to disappear and get replaced by the aforementioned tat or overpriced 'antiques' I could get far cheaper on ebay.

As I say, I don't know the reasons, or the root cause but it's really disappointing. If they don't shift with the times and offer something worth visiting then they'd be as well bulldozing it for flats! And I never thought I'd say that.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:45 pm

I enjoyed this from the BBC website. A fond look at some of the old and even some of the new characters trading at the Barras

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/arts/trad ... oday.shtml
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:43 pm

STV

Dangerous building at the Glasgow Barras Market to be demolished after storms

The structure in Moncur Street was declared dangerous by structural engineers after recent stormy weather.
20 January 2012 11:23 GMT

The structure in Moncur Street was declared dangerous by structural engineers on Friday morning as they were assessing it after recent stormy weather.

The facade of the building, which contained the Discount Fabrics shop, is believed to be particularly unsafe, while the inside of the property is also in a dangerous state.

Glasgow City Council confirmed several streets in the Gallowgate area have been shut off from around 10am after the building was declared dangerous.

A Glasgow City Council spokeswoman said: "The dangerous building in Gallowgate which has sparked road closures is a vacant, two storey, 'L' shaped sandstone former commercial property. It has been empty for a number of years and was due to be demolished... Continues.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks for bringing this thread back up to visibility again - interesting observations overall though, it is plain to see that the overall strategy IS to clean up not only the Barras, but Calton as a whole. I think Morrisions recent building of a new supermarket there is a clear indication - they obviously see a lot of gentrification going on through the building of private flats which have been going up year on year for the last decade or so.

The council I think sees the Barrowland Ballroom is the 'anchor' of the area that they want to promote, the market I think is getting less and less relevant now (and too far gone now) because of its dire reputation and the cost of policing it is no doubt becoming a headache - both this and all the old Celtic pubs are barriers to regeneration, so I don't see it becoming Covent Garden anytime soon, but the old soul of the area is undoubtedly getting eroded very slowly. Whether you see this as a good or a bad thing depends on your point of view, really.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am

Nice pics Robert, whenever I see those buildings (the surrounding Barras buildings, not so much the main Barrowland building itself), I can almost smell that musty, mildew smell that is in all of them - takes me back to my childhood going into the junk shops - pity they haven't invented smellovision yet! Small wonder a lot of them are on the verge of collapse though, they are slowly getting eaten away by damp.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anarion » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 am

I can remember the days of jumping on the bus from Cumbernauld and making my way into the Barras to for the latest 15 floppy disk computer game...and reading through the lists of software, picking what u wanted and waiting a couple of minutes until your software had been picked up by a 10 year old and brought to you... ::): none of this Pirate Bay stuff :)
Anarion
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Haggis » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:32 am

I think there was a bit in evening times about recent plans for the area."Barrowlands ballroom blitz"
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:50 pm

I dont live in glasgow now so probably should not comment but i do remember the barras well from my childhood and i wondered what do the local residents of the area want to see happen. what kinds of development would they like to see take place?
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:24 pm

The Barras market at heart of Calton regeneration plan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-19422073

If they go some way to what they have planned for the Olympic Park;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/ ... intcmp=239
well it can only be a good thing - I can see the shaking heads and why does it take Olympics or Commonwealth Games to boost areas that have been run down for so long but if it all goes to plan - so what.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 pm

The ET gives its readers the benefit of their opinion on the regeneration plans:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/opinion/in-our-opinion-why-calton-deserves-a-facelift.18722455

I hope they don't over-do the regeneration of The Barras. Where else will I get my sports socks and gas lighters? :D
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Council approves funding for Calton Barras Action Plan

Glasgow City Council today (27 September) approved the Calton Barras Action Plan and funding of £3.5million over the next five years to support its implementation.

The approval of the Action Plan comes after the Calton Area Development Framework (ADF) was approved by the council on 30 August 2012. It sets out a strategy and policies to guide the regeneration of Calton and the Barras over the next 10 to 15 years and will act as supplementary planning guidance to the Local Development Plan.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/News/Calto ... n+Plan.htm
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 am

Is Pearsons in the photo the shop that sells ariels valves electrical stuff etc i used to go to this shop when i stayed at my grandparents house and buy open reel tapes for my open reel tape recorder i also remember a bike shop further down but cant remember the name of it the shop was to the left of pearsons as you came out of the shop is the building still there or has it been demolished
i also remember the stalls selling towels, sheets, crockery and net curtains and the stall holders doing their sales pitch
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development