Saint Enoch Square redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Saint Enoch Square redevelopment

Postby [Paul Ferrie] » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:35 pm

I saw this tonight on the bbc website
Plans for developing st enochs in the next 3 years http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm

Does any one have any images, plans, models?
[Paul Ferrie]
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gordon » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:41 pm

I havent seen any more apart from the ones in the press.

Looks fairly ordinary, what I'd like to know is how they're going to fit in all the extra accommodation? I'd hope it doesn't encroach on the square too much - its not exactly massive as it is.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:51 pm

There is some more discussion on this other board

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=372918

Looks fairly ordinary, what I'd like to know is how they're going to fit in all the extra accommodation? I'd hope it doesn't encroach on the square too much - its not exactly massive as it is.

The centre is encroaching on the square due to GCC selling a strip of land (basically the bit at the stairs).
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:02 pm

it,s places like the st,enochs centre that made me decide to avoid the city centre like the plague years ago. i am just about old enough to remember the old st,enochs train station and hotel with all the little shops underneath the arches ,and they demolished it for the current monstrosity, and now they want to make it even bigger ? . i wonder if whoever is responsible for designing these bloody things stops and think,s for one minute about how it will fit in with the surrounding buildings? 19,th century ornately decorated building ,! oh i know a big glass box right next to it will fit in nicely :evil: :evil: :evil: come the revolution the first to go will be these architect,s !! ::): ::):
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

st enochs

Postby shug » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:31 am

Some pix on here showing what was replaced by the St Enoch centre - bad enough now - God forbid that it should be extended - a bulldozer is what the St Enoch centre needs !

http://www.glasgowpictures.co.uk
shug
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:54 pm

My Kitten wrote:There is some more discussion on this other board

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=372918

The centre is encroaching on the square due to GCC selling a strip of land (basically the bit at the stairs).

GCC selling off land?? That's not like them. :wink:
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:39 pm

Could they really make the St Enoch Centre look any worse ?
Perhaps a new front would help it.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby [Paul Ferrie] » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:59 pm

Ripping it down and starting again sounds like a great idea to me.
For me St Enochs is a big eyesore that eats up far to much of the sourrunding space.
[Paul Ferrie]
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scaryman2u » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:55 pm

cheers for the pics shug, i remember the hotel but was too young to appreciate the facade then. the hotel had facade retention written all over it what a waste of heritage! i`m a demolisher & most of the buildings we tear down are eyesores but the 123 building on st vincent st`s facade is a great example of what we could have done to st enochs, it was an education in engineering these guys knew how to build. I was site foreman & got to see the craftmanship of the statues, gargoyles & the like. We removed the facade retention steelwork on nightshift & these gargoyles were all staring at you very creepy... :twisted:
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:41 pm

Tbh I doubt they'd ever demolish St Enoch's (at least in the near future). The picture on the Beeb website makes it look a lot better than it currently does. I hate that place with a passion though, mostly cos of the design but also because of how they let the hotel get into such a state and then knock it down.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Why does everybody hate the place so much. It looks better than the Buchanan Galleries, thats for sure, at least it doesnt use wee orange bricks over the entre surface...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:25 pm

The one thing I dislike the most about the place (aside from the fact that I just hate big shopping mauls), is the St Enoch Square end has no proper "face" it's just a staircase, with a glass bit above, all very boring.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:57 pm

Vladimir wrote:Why does everybody hate the place so much. It looks better than the Buchanan Galleries, thats for sure, at least it doesnt use wee orange bricks over the entre surface...

You have to be joking! 8O
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:38 pm

One particular problem with St Enochs is that all the shops are too small - they can't have really decent retailers cos they want bigger units. I'm surprised that Boots is still there, that shop is a nightmare, especially at Christmas :?

I rarely go there - I'd bulldoze it as long as something better is put in it's place.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:12 pm

You have to be joking!

No, Im not joking. Are you joking?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development