Tesco Pollok Silverburn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:52 pm

stevenh1983 wrote:I was only speaking as a member of the Pollok community and i do believe that the whole area will benefit from the current regeneration.

Shoot me down for saying that with your long winded arguments but that is how i feel. I believe most people in this area welcome the current regeneration.

And yes i did mean the highest unemployment rates, i made a mistake, so what? we all do.

The world is never going to be perfect for everyone but we get on with it

Agree 100%. Well said Steven.

Welcome to HG hope you haven't been put off by entering into this debate. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:40 pm

Vladimir wrote: It means producing to our fullest ability the goods and services of the modern world

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here Vlad. Is a shiny new shopping centre not "providing the services of the modern world"?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:20 pm

we get on with it

No, never accept current conditions. You keep saying things like this, I can almost hear your sigh of defeat!

Shoot me down for saying that with your long winded arguments

Long winded true, but long considered. Why not try to shoot me down, explain the real benifits of this centre other then the creation of a rather small amount of jobs?

I believe most people in this area welcome the current regeneration.

Im sure they do, because it is the best they, and most people in Scotland are ever likely to get! Great, jobs! But not great jobs... What Im saying is strive higher! Demand more, dont just accept what is given.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here Vlad. Is a shiny new shopping centre not "providing the services of the modern world"?

Then let me clarify for you. You might have noticed that the word I chose was 'producing' and not in fact 'providing' as you saw it. Providing is simply buying and selling. Producing is creating.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Oh and Alex, it isnt a real 'debate' if people only support your viewpoint, as Steven does! If anybody is
put off by entering into this debate.
then they should go to a lecture instead, where they are expected to accept the common beliefs...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:09 am

Vladimir wrote:Then let me clarify for you. You might have noticed that the word I chose was 'producing' and not in fact 'providing' as you saw it. Providing is simply buying and selling. Producing is creating.

Semantics! Describe please the difference between producing a service and providing a service.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stevenh1983 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:01 am

Im sure they do, because it is the best they, and most people in Scotland are ever likely to get! Great, jobs! But not great jobs... What Im saying is strive higher! Demand more, dont just accept what is given.

What you need to understand is people have to start somewhere, how many people get the perfect job first time? When you don't have a job the jobs on offer here are welcomed greatly.

Yes I agree with most of what is Alex is saying but you strike me as someone who would find holes to pick no matter what the subject matter was.

This is a fantastic development in the area and it is long overdue, this will be a success, yes there will be critiscm from some people but they are in the minority.
stevenh1983
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby escotregen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:48 am

Stephen can I add my congratulations to what you have said. Like Alex I hope you are not put off HG by some of the comments you get. It seems to really stump a few people when real residents from a local community come out and supports development and progress.

We had another local guy on short while back pointing out that he had got a 'great' job and at a great salary through the retail sector. Just a ordinary working guy who got on with bettering himself and not too pre-occupied about the theories of those who would tell him that his job wasn't 'great'. Others have pointed out the reality of crappy wee local shops in poorer areas without large scale developments. They didn't want 'curent conditions', they wanted the new developments.

Forget the knockers and enjoy the progress that you rightly predict for the area :wink:
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:42 pm

Semantics! Describe please the difference between producing a service and providing a service.

Making not just selling. To produce is to create a product, to provide is simply to sell on that product. Scotland is currently stuck in stage 2 of this process. Its very simple.

What you need to understand is people have to start somewhere

And what YOU need to understand is that the low level started with is the end level. I dont really care whether you live there or not, its no qualification to have the only correct opinion.

you strike me as someone who would find holes to pick no matter what the subject matter was.

And you strike me as a typical defeatist. I always find things to criticise, thats true, and its people like myself that prevent the world from slumping into mediocrity!

development and progress.

Development, but no progess. Its shops, shops, shops. No more. Wake up and realise that, and expect more of your community!!!
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:49 pm

£1.3bn exports mark BGI-Glasgow's tenth anniversary

The international business development agency has seen the value of exports from Glasgow more than double from £611 million to £1,350 million - growth of more than 120% - since it was formed in 1996.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:41 pm

Vladimir wrote: I always find things to criticise

you sure do :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:06 pm

Good statistics Crusty, does that take inflation into account?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:40 pm

I worked in retail years ago and I can honestly say every day was a ball burster. If I got paid off from my engineering job tomorrow and they offered me a job in a shopping centre I would run like fuck. It's about time Scottish politicians took a fresh look at things and started looking beyond their own term of goverment. In my opinion the Silverburn jobs only cover over the cracks. I am not being flippant or trying to be an industrial snob here but some people will only ever be low paid shop workers. If anybody on HG is , then honestly , I know how hard it is.
Lets look at a couple of examples hear. Japan ! blown to kingdom come at the end of the 45 war. Within 30 years a major player in world economy. South Korea ! ravaged by cival war in the 45-50 war again now a major player in world economy. These two countries by example started from scratch and saw that engineering and technology invesment was the way forward.
They created real invesment for their own country. Not jobs that invited multinational faceless companies into town ,who in reality do not give a shit about people in low paid jobs. All they want is the profit margins at the end of days trading.
We do have some excellent examples of Scottish technology. Linn HiFi a world leader in music systems. Optos who design medical devices. Again in my opinion companies like these will create a better standard of living for people instead of all these multiplex shopping icerink resturants centres that keep poping up.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:53 pm

It is almost sad that some people refuse to enter the 21st Century.

Viva La Revolution.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:08 pm

Alex Glass wrote:It is almost sad that some people refuse to enter the 21st Century.

Viva La Revolution.

?
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:14 pm

Sorry hazy I had deleted the message and forgot I had delete his name. It was intended for Vlad. :oops:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development