Building Bridges

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Building Bridges

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:34 pm

Passing over the GeorgeV bridge yestarday I couldn't help get an eyefull of a crane being placed on the embankment and this morning... lo and behold... it was sitting on a barge in the Clyde. So it would seem they are starting construction of "Neptunes Way"!!!

Due for completion in 2007 along with a new night club on the Tradeston side and landscaping for the surrounding banks at a cost of £40million this should hopefully be the catalyst that leads to the complete regeneration of Glasgows much maligned riverfront.

I plan to document its construction (sad as that may seem!) so if anyones passing with a camera over the next few years... please, snap away... I'd like to see ur pics and hear ur views :D ::):

http://www.glasgowbridge.com
Last edited by crusty_bint on Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Re: Building Bridges

Postby duncan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:43 pm

crusty_bint wrote:this should hopefully be the catalyst that leads to the complete regeneration of Glasgows much maligned riverfront.

out of the 10 or so designs that were shortlisted for the bridge, the one they chose was one of my least favourite. mainly on account of it being almost twice as long as it needs to be. might be nice for a leisurely stroll, but if you're just getting from A-B, you'd be better off crossing elsewhere.

also, that diagram of the new bridge seems to bear little relation to what it'll actually be like. what's that bit going off at right-angles with what seems to be either a cruise liner or a cargo ship berthed in it? if i'm reading it correctly, that's on the south-side.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:49 pm

Got to agree with u there Duncan, it wasn't my choice either!! Of the shortlist I liked Latis unfortunately we're stuck with it now tho :evil: let god bestow a plague on our city fathers for their predictability!!!! tut-huh :roll:
Last edited by crusty_bint on Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby duncan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:57 pm

i quite liked the "people's crossing" myself:
http://www.glasgowbridge.com/sub_5.html
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:03 pm

The cruise liner thingy is an impression of the new nightclub... Im not sure what the plans for landscaping are... see what u mean tho, it looks as tho they plan to excavate a small dock possibly?

...and yeah, that is the Tradeston side
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby duncan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:15 pm

crusty_bint wrote:The cruise liner thingy is an impression of the new nightclub

uh-oh, sounds like they're bringing back the Tuxedo Princess:
http://www.mas.ncl.ac.uk/~nrsc2001/pics/boat.jpg
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:20 pm

My God they really do want to be Gateshead / Newcastle (which is it?)

Wonder if they'll mourn the Tuxedos passing?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:24 pm

:)! thats wot I meant about their predictability (is that even a word?)... give us something new... something different... something worth the money!!!!

BTW Duncan, that was my least favourite... its just dull dull dull!
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby duncan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:44 pm

crusty_bint wrote:BTW Duncan, that was my least favourite... its just dull dull dull!

i dunno, call me old school or something, but i don't think a bridge needs to be exciting. maybe that's why i liked this one, it's the one that looks least like a bridge, and isn't "impossibly thin", "an ethereal space" or an "exuberant brooch on the Clyde"!

Also it doesn't have "a dramatic funicular ride in a glass cabin", unlike two of the proposals. you could imagine that going the same way as the tower at the Science Centre - broken within days

they're all a load of wank though
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:18 pm

wahahahaha... how eloquently put :wink: ::): ::): ::): ::):
You're right tho Duncan... all those stupit buzz words and flowery adjectives... a bridge is a bridge after all! My point is that they fork out millions on projects like this and fortunes on studies, consultations, field trips etc etc just to come up with the same old regurgitated bollox!

The Science Tower is real shame, an original idea and a first for the engineering world and an "icon (here he goes :roll: ) for Glasgow". They scoffed at the Finnieston crane when it was under construction coz it was already obsolete yet it is whole-heartedly accepted as a monument to Glasgow's illustrious past.

but as I say, ur right...

they are a bunch of wanks!!! ::): ::): ::):
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby caine » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:32 am

my mate actually owns the renfrew ferry, and even they havent been told about whats supposed to be happening to tem, cos this new bridge and stuff is planed for the same area as the ferry sits just now. there was talk of the council moving them over to the other side of the river, but as you can imagine, its not cheap, so the council have offered to apy for it all!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:41 pm

caine wrote:my mate actually owns the renfrew ferry, and even they havent been told about whats supposed to be happening to tem, cos this new bridge and stuff is planed for the same area as the ferry sits just now. there was talk of the council moving them over to the other side of the river, but as you can imagine, its not cheap, so the council have offered to apy for it all!

I have to admit I did think about the Renfrew Ferry when I looked at the plan. If they have any sense and move it to the other side or somewhere where it can be more accessible, which it certainly deserves cause it's a nice wee venue.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:07 pm

To be honest i thought they would simply get rid of it! There doesnt seem to be any place in the scheme for it so I presumed they would relocate to this ship thingy thats in the pic?

So have the council not offered to buy ur mate out Caine?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby caine » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:13 pm

well its all a bit cloak and dagger at the moment, but he wants to keep the place, and their offering to pay to move it across the river and buy his small plot of land off him to build the bridge etc. but they;'ve also offered to buy them out completely, and have him manage the place, effectively doing exactly what he does now but paid by the council. either way the ferry is staying in roughly the same area but on the other side of the river, and its getting a refurb regardless of what happens!!! :D
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:36 pm

Glad to hear they're not being swept aside, I don't ever remember it not being there! Just realised... this bubble's roughly where the Renfrew Ferry is now aint it?

crusty_bint
-
-

Next

Return to Glasgow Development