Glasgow Crossrail

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby dave2 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:38 pm

Surely the fact that West St is not too busy at the moment makes it ideal for such an interchange with heavy rail?
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:34 pm

I agree What they need is a proper car park like the one at Shields Road, and cameras and security in said car park. It's ideal really, means less traffic being parked in suburban areas thats come in from elsewhere, leaving the locals struggling to find spaces for themselves.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:03 am

From the BBC-
Calls for Train Project to be Urgent Priority:->Click Me<
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Is this connected? Central Belt Train Link:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/disp ... 91.0.0.php
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Word » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:52 pm

The Cross Rail dream seems to be as far away as ever, maybe another 25 years of talking.

Crossrail jungle

Photo taken today - from the Saltmarket.
'Hark the Herald Angels Sing'
My Word
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:14 pm

Through one of the fish tanks in the wee pet shop on the corner by the looks of it :P
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Word » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:17 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Through one of the fish tanks in the wee pet shop on the corner by the looks of it :P

A few yards to the left HH! :wink:
'Hark the Herald Angels Sing'
My Word
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Glasgow Crossrail

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:31 pm

SPT

Phased plans for Crossrail link

SPT has unveiled proposals for a phased development of the Glasgow Crossrail Project ahead of a parliamentary debate on the plans.
The project, which has been dubbed the crucial missing link in Scotland's rail network, would be delivered in three stages.
The first stage could be completed in time for the Commonwealth Games in 2014, if an early go-ahead is given.
The plans have received cross-party endorsement from MSPs, who are due to put the case for Crossrail to Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson on Thursday in a special member's debate.
Crossrail's supporters want to see the project approved as a priority and included in the Scottish Government's Strategic Transport Projects Review.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Wonder how much an all day ticket will be? :roll:
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:18 pm

£4.50 just now lynnski, called a roundabout, but only in the strathclyde area
£8.50/£15 for day trippers

(sorry couldnt resist being a smart arse)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:20 pm

::): ::):
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:01 pm

I noticed from the Crossrail website, http://crossrail.fs-server.com/index.php ,updated 24th October 2008, that the project is still up and running, scheduled for opening in 2012.

I had (perhaps misguidedly) presumed that Crossrail project and the M74 extension http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/projects/M74-completion are mutually exclusive?

Will the proposed restored rail line south of Gorbals junction go over or under the M74 extension?

Does the planned layout for the M74 extension take any account of the Crossrail Project? Is it included in the estimated costs?

If this part of the line is not restored, where will they get access to the West Coast Main Line or the lines to East Kilbride, Barrhead and Kilmarnock?

With all the political support for both projects, I must be missing something obvious. Any enlightenment would be welcome.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hazy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:55 pm

Anorak I am sure its still only a proposal. We have the airport link and the new Bathgate link to finsh off first. As a rail employee and a commuter I would certainley welcome the development.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 pm

I wish I'd noticed this thread before trying to work out how traffic from St Enoch made its way to Strathbungo as it would have given me a good head start. I'd thought Crossrail "merely" involved using the former St Enoch to Paisley Canal line that is still in existence between Shields Junction and High Street (I'm sure I actually saw a train travelling on this a good number of years back when I was on a bus in Eglinton Street, although perhaps my memory is playing tricks and it was just a dream) to link north and south of the Clyde so that trains could run from Edinburgh to Ayr for example. Reinstating the link from the Gorbals to Strathbungo seems far more ambitious although I would love to see it happen. I would also be interested to know whether the M74 extension takes account of this.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re:

Postby Charlie Endell » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 pm

james73 wrote:.

Heard about the closure of the Neilston line before. The idea was to trim
the line back to Whitecraigs (not Williamwood), recover the OHLE and
us it to electrify the East Kilbride branch, by this time re-connected to the
Williamwood to Muirend line via the restored Williamwood Curve. Whether
or not the residents of Neilston would've been compensated by the re-opening
of the former Neilston station (Neilston High?) on the GSW line I dont
know. Thornliebank, Giffnock and Patterton would've lost their stations.

James H
That one must have passed me by at the time. I'm surprised Neilston wasn't culled with Uplawmoor but good thing it wasn't as it would have left the village very isolated in public transport terms (I don't think I've ever seen a bus in Glasgow with Neilston on its destination board). Is the current Neilston station not Neilston High with Neilston Low being on the Kilmarnock line (Neilston with two stations eh!)? Patterton has always seemed a bizarre location for a station to me as it's so isolated; I'd imagine plenty of commuters from the Mearns use it as a park and ride but who's going to get on / off there at night or on a Sunday? I hadn't heard of the Williamwood Curve - back to Google Earth to see if I can spot anything.

Edited to add: just had a look on Google Earth - the Curve must have involved the abandoned railway bridge just east of the bridge carrying the line out of Williamwood to Muirend. I pass that way quite a bit and I now recall seeing it before.

Edited again to add: after a look on the Railscot site it did indeed involve this bridge but the Curve was only used from 1903 / 4 to 1907. The site was formerly Clarkston West Junction but this was obliterated by Williamwood Station.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development