Glasgow Crossrail

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby AMcD » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:31 pm

Aye... Mono is a vegan restaurant owned by the guy who used to run the 13th Note. Also owns Stereo in Kelvinhaugh Street, it used to be West 13th.

I don't think it'll be too noisey... I've been in the rehearsal/recording studios along there when trains have gone past, and it was more of vibration than a noise. Would be interesting to see how the diners would put with it though.
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:21 pm

duncan wrote:I think you're talking about the place that used to be a Mexican restaurant?

Aye, indeed it was. I was in it once, in about 1995 I think. I didn't notice
any trains passing above.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:26 pm

Another mention of Crossrail - and interestingly, a Parkhead station - in today's ET:

The city's transport system is improving with the road and rail networks on track to be improved with the completion of the M74 and planned rail link to Glasgow Airport due to be open in 2008.

Strathclyde Passenger Transport chairman Alistair Watson said if the funding is in place the city can deliver a transport network capable of hosting the games.

He said: "By 2014 the airport rail link will be six years old and I expect Crossrail will also be established.

"We will also be looking at a rail station for Parkhead as a priority following the announcement of the indoor arena.

"SPT are capable of building it all we need is the funding."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5029081.html
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:37 am

nodrog wrote:Another mention of Crossrail - and interestingly, a Parkhead station - in today's ET:

The city's transport system is improving with the road and rail networks on track to be improved with the completion of the M74 and planned rail link to Glasgow Airport due to be open in 2008.

Strathclyde Passenger Transport chairman Alistair Watson said if the funding is in place the city can deliver a transport network capable of hosting the games.

He said: "By 2014 the airport rail link will be six years old and I expect Crossrail will also be established.

"We will also be looking at a rail station for Parkhead as a priority following the announcement of the indoor arena.

"SPT are capable of building it all we need is the funding."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5029081.html

I think this Parkhead station is a station on the Queen St to Airdrie
line, at the location where it crosses Duke St (used to be a station
there years ago). Actually nothing to do with Crossrail or the Airport
link, unless they're planning a new turnback siding at Parkhead to
terminate services there.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:59 am

JamesMc wrote:
crusty_bint wrote:I totally agree Pgcc... lets hope we dont have another fiasco like that damn motorway and something comes to fruition! 30 years is an outragous timescale!

Jamjes, Iv noticed the station at Cumberland St... whata sad state of play Iv often thought... never knew about the Brazen station tho

Just to confuse things, this quote from Crusty was to James73, i'm new(JamesMc) and i've finally been able to open a photobucket account to start posting pics. I stay near the Cumberland st station and recently got some pics which show the deterioration of the place. The interior shots are particularly sad and also quite eerie, i think. Doing some basic research, it opened in 1900, was enlarged in 1909 and closed in 1966. Lets hope if they do re-open this line or part of it, they can resurrect this grand old building.

Recently revisited Cumberland St Station, got a much better pic of the interior showing the steps leading up to the high level platforms.

JamesMc
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:28 am

Another 'boost' for the mythical creature known as crossrail

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5034696.html
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:51 pm

Save starting a new thread;
Anyone know apart from the mainline to London what lines where served from St Enoch station?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:09 pm

Not sure exactly what destinations the trains ran to, but here is a map showing all the rail connections.

StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:58 am

cumbo wrote:Save starting a new thread;
Anyone know apart from the mainline to London what lines where served from St Enoch station?

Services would have been:
St Enoch to Renfrew
St Enoch to Paisley (West)
St Enoch to Fairlie Pier
St Enoch to Largs
St Enoch to Girvan
St Enoch to Dumfries
St Enoch to Kilmarnock
St Enoch to East Kilbride
St Enoch to Stranraer
St Enoch to Beith
St Enoch to Barrhead
St Enoch to Ardrossan Montgomery Pier via Barrhead
St Enoch to Greenock Princes Pier via Paisley Canal and Kilmacolm
St Enoch to Ayr via the Kilbarchan Loop

It was also possible (from platforms 1 & 2) to leave the station northwards
although I doubt there were many services scheduled that did that. It may
have been used for diverted services

He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:16 am

The short lived G&SW bus trains ran from Shields Road to Bridgeton Central via St. Enoch and would have used the northernmost platforms.

There would also have been services to Govan and on the Paisley-Barrhead - Glasgow circle route. All abandoned in the early years of the last century.

G&SW services to Ardrossan initially called at Winton Pier. Caley services ran from Montgomery Pier to Central station. After the grouping a chord was added to allow boat trains from both piers to run to St. Enoch.

There were also services to Carlisle via Dumfries the best know of which, the Thames-Clyde Express, met with Midland Stock at Carlisle Citadel and ran over the Settle and Carlisle route to St Pancras.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:28 pm

aye it would be cool to see the station at cumberland street reopened. i used to want to open it as a restaurant, but naebody would have gone to it. a new bridge at eglinton toll will be excellent too. whens this all planned for?
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:12 pm

yourebarred wrote:aye it would be cool to see the station at cumberland street reopened. i used to want to open it as a restaurant, but naebody would have gone to it. a new bridge at eglinton toll will be excellent too. whens this all planned for?

The Crossrail idea has been on the drawing board since at least 1973. As
for the new bridge at Eglinton Toll, this is required since the Gorbals to
Strathbungo section was removed years ago and the original bridge taken
down. The bridge abutments are still in place.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:55 pm

Cumberland Street Station on the City Union line circa 1969

West end of the station at Eglinton Street.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:37 pm

Anyone else visit the station some years back (10-ish) when it was opened to allow an installation to be set up as part of Doors Open Day?

The place was lit by candlelight, and the artist had suspended suitcases on the stairs up to the platform, together with shoes postioned as if there was an invisible person there.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:41 pm

Found this old news clipping from the Glasgow Herald. 30 years on and still no sign of the crossrail project coming to fruition although theres Lots of talk about it.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development