BHS site redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

BHS site redevelopment

Postby escotregen » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:10 pm

I can't say that the image of this development at all appeals to me, but it is important that the site is quickly redeveloped. Glasgow can little afford another long-term city centre gap-site like at Argyle St/Trongate.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/09/01/75m-glasgow-office-plan-for-former-bhs-site/
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: BHS site redevelopment

Postby RDR » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm always bemused by the idea we need yet more office blocks when quite a few seem to lie empty.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:41 am

RDR wrote:I'm always bemused by the idea we need yet more office blocks when quite a few seem to lie empty.

Yes, there appears to be a glut if you look at all the "To Let" signs, but the prestigous blue-chip companies that the city is trying to attract are only interested in Grade A office space, that's built to all the latest standards in energy efficiency, connectivity, infrastructure etc. Your Morgan Stanleys of the world ain't going to relocate in some grotty old Brutalist block from 1971.

The older 1970s office blocks - if they can't be let out again - either get demolished, replaced by 21st century ones, or converted into hotels - and there are plenty of examples over the last few years.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowSurveyor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:52 am

I think the stat is that there is already a million square ft of unoccupied office space in Glasgow with more to come. Not ideal!
GlasgowSurveyor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm

GlasgowSurveyor wrote:I think the stat is that there is already a million square ft of unoccupied office space in Glasgow with more to come. Not ideal!

What proportion of this is all the shiny new A-grade blocks that have recently went up, and what is the older 1970s/80s office buildings that the blue chip companies won't be interested in. Many of these will eventually get demmied and replaced anyway, others will be converted into budget hotels or even residential flats as has been the pattern for the last few years.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development