Does Glasgow need new shops?

Postby mercury » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:27 pm

No. ::):
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Does Glasgow need new shops?

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:03 pm

maybe not,but the city could do with a blue lagoon chippy or a wetherspoons pub imho. :roll:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:15 pm

this to do with buchanan galleries?

I hate the buchanan galleries, its bottom of my list of shopping areas if i have to go shopping.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 pm

bookies,that is what is required.betfred have just been granted a licence to operate in Clydebank to bring the number of betting shops in the area up to 12.council rejected the application but were overruled by the Scottish government on appeal. :evil:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hillbilly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Theres plenty of Wetherspoons. However we shouldn't build more as regards top of the Buchanan st steps when you look along Sauchiehall st these days. It's becoming more and more run down with stores closing. If you look up in the city there are loads of fine old sandstone buildings many old stores lying empty. We need life in the place not more flash shops.
THE MASTER OF THE CARAVAN :
But who are ye in rags and rotten shoes,
You dirty-bearded, blocking up the way?

THE PILGRIMS :
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further:
hillbilly
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Our leader promises 1500 new jobs. But probably that number are going as shops close like Crockets. I gave up shopping in Glasgow years ago as the city leaders become more and more "anti" car.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 pm

It would be nice if Glasgow city centre had more variety and less of the national/multinational chain brands which proliferate in a relatively small area. I think it would be great to see small, independent retailers akin to those in Cresswell Lane/Dowanside Lane, or something like Manchester's Afflecks Palace or Empire Exchange occupying the increasingly vacant premises. However, the rates make this impossible.
dazza
-
-

Postby rabmania » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:14 pm

moonbeam wrote:Our leader promises 1500 new jobs. But probably that number are going as shops close like Crockets. I gave up shopping in Glasgow years ago as the city leaders become more and more "anti" car.

Building yet another mall with a huge car park overlooking George Square= anti-car. ::):
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mjw » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Ach you pretty much give up hope with planners don't you? you can't magic up new shoppers out of nowhere it's just a greater concentration of customers in an ever decreasing area. If it was in my power I'd get rid of all major shopping centres, horrible horrible places to visit, too hot and way too many other people.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Targer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:34 am

Will Glasgow ever see again the shoppers density as seen on Sauchiehall St and Argyll st in the 50's?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm never quite convinced by this idea that Sauchiehall Street is dying on its a**e. Off the top of my head, you've got maybe four empty premises on the pedestrian bit (Mothercare, and the ones up the top opposite Tesco). The rest are filled most of the time they just change hands every six months or so. And it's still busy enough on the weekend that you can't walk down it at full pelt without having to change direction/slow down for some old biddy and her mates.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with for this area with the new consultation process...
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri May 15, 2015 8:38 pm

I rarely venture into town. Buchanan Galleries is the dog's arse of shopping "malls" (as the city council likes to call them).
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:11 am

What's needed is better quality shops on the high street - not in the malls. I lament all the pound shops and discount stores that have devalued Argyle and Sauchiehall Street. Blame the Galleries and the St Enoch Centre if you will, but its part of a national trend I'm afraid.

However, in Glasgow's all too often dreich weather who wants to be trapising through the rain getting poked in the eyes with other folk's umbrellas and breathing in their fag smoke. You can see why malls are attractive, regardless of their clinical character.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:27 pm

An apt description of Glasgow weather and street conditions.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby motman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:09 am

Targer wrote:An apt description of Glasgow weather and street conditions.

:D :D :D
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development