The Listed Buildings process?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Listed Buildings process?

Postby escotregen » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 am

Are questions and doubts raised about the listed building process in Glasgow by the fact that Springbank Public School, Woodside (formerly St Columba Primary) was not a listed building (& could thus be easily 'got rid of')?
http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/4998/Woo ... _home.html
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The Listed Buildings process?

Postby jock78 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:26 am

As a veteran town planner, I must confess my ignorance as to how the process of listing works.
I have noted many times however, that often buildings which I think are ugly, are not particularly old and have nothing in my experience to justify their listing. I suspect this is done by elitist 'experts' without significant input from the general public.

I live near Kingston upon Thames where a major new development currently planned in the town centre has to incorporate two ugly red brick buildings within it- a former post office and sorting house. On tackling the architect for the scheme, he agreed that they did not have any merit- but they are 'listed' and we have to work round this.

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jock78 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:48 am

Hi escorege,
As a ps to what I just wrote-
If you feel strongly enough about this issue, you should start a petition.
This forum is as good a place to start as any but it also needs locals to get on their feet and get active.

Best of luck.

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:11 am

Thanks for your comments Jock. You actually reminded me that I was for a while a few years back a very active presence on this forum!
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jock78 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi escotregen,
I think this site is suffering from having been available for too long, most subjects have been aired and there is a reluctance to bring up new topics or even to check it out as regularly.
I do not know what the answer is-
my main interest is in the archaeology of the city- if you see my posts they do not draw much interest but what could be more relevant than the hidden origins of the town as buried below ground, or just as likely what had been wiped out by quarrying or large scale redevelopment?

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hound dog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:05 pm

jock78 wrote:As a veteran town planner, I must confess my ignorance as to how the process of listing works.
I have noted many times however, that often buildings which I think are ugly, are not particularly old and have nothing in my experience to justify their listing. I suspect this is done by elitist 'experts' without significant input from the general public.

I live near Kingston upon Thames where a major new development currently planned in the town centre has to incorporate two ugly red brick buildings within it- a former post office and sorting house. On tackling the architect for the scheme, he agreed that they did not have any merit- but they are 'listed' and we have to work round this.

John

Buildings are listed for different reasons - not just on architectural merit. Being of historical significance is one example e.g. In Glasgow a former Free Church Mission Hall is 'B' listed as it is where the the Boys Brigade was founded in the 19th century. Whether it is of any architectural merit, I've no idea, as I'm not able to judge - but it certainly deserves its listing imo
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development