Anderston Kelvingrove Church.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Anderston Kelvingrove Church.

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:49 pm

This is the 'pyramid' church at the foot of Elderslie St.

"Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997
Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Anderston Kelvingrove Parish Church, 759 Argyle Street, Glasgow
Following from a recent visit to assess the above property for listing, we have reached an
interim assessment of the significance of the building. We would like to invite your
comments on its proposed listing at category B

We are seeking your comments, preferably in writing, on the listing proposal for Anderston
Kelvingrove Parish Church and its special architectural or historic interest. You can write to
us at the address above or email us at [email protected]. The criteria which
guide the selection of subjects for listing is attached and can also be found on pages 74-76
of the Scottish Historic Environment Policy (2011), available on our website at
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf.
Please set out the factors which would support or undermine its case for listing in line with
these criteria, notably age and rarity, architectural or historic interest and close historical
association. Please also inform us of any planning application, appeal or development
proposal affecting the building and check the accuracy of the statutory address against
your records. Your comments will assist us in reaching a formal decision. Please bear in
mind that we may be asked to release your comments on request.
Please submit any comments you may wish to make, including a ‘no comment’ by 20
December. We do not issue reminders but if you need longer to reply then please get
in touch as soon as you can.

More information about listing can be found in our free booklet, Scotland’s Listed Buildings,
which is available to download from our website at http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/scotlandslisted-
buildings.pdf. Should this not be convenient I will be happy to post a copy to you.
Rosanne Watts can be contacted on 0131 668 8091 to discuss the reasons for listing, or
myself on 0131 668 8762 for administrative issues.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully
Craig Dixon
Designations Support Officer"
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Anderston Kelvingrove Church.

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Should be listed....

Anderston temple by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

It certainly does need to be listed and soon. Glasgow Presbytery Plan has identified that Anderston Kelvingrove may be merged with Renfield St Stephen's and the part of the parish west of the M8 be reallocated to Sandyford Memorial Church.

Which basically means that, because of the tiny congregation, there's a good chance this church is going to be sold of for development. Without a listed status, it could go altogether.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:35 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:It certainly does need to be listed and soon. Glasgow Presbytery Plan has identified that Anderston Kelvingrove may be merged with Renfield St Stephen's and the part of the parish west of the M8 be reallocated to Sandyford Memorial Church.

Which basically means that, because of the tiny congregation, there's a good chance this church is going to be sold of for development. Without a listed status, it could go altogether.

Yet without a congregation, what is it being kept for?

The brand new, all singing and dancing Salvation Army Citadel should be completed in a year or two - offering all the community activities presently housed in AK Church.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:35 pm

Well, this is the thinking. There are a number of buildings which are likely to be highlighted as "surplus to requirements". Lansdowne is another which is likely to be sold for development, and I suspect the adjoining hall will be developed to house the congregation (similar to what they did with St Andrew's East in Dennistoun).

It would be a shame to lose the building altogether, though. Hence the listing application, I suspect. If a developer can do something with it, so much the better. But sadly, as a church, it's days may well be numbered.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:27 pm

I used to be in there regularly, since they ran an afterschool club which my children attended.

I liked it a lot. I'd be happy to see it listed.

As development sites go, I wouldn't have thought it would attract the highest of prices.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:35 pm

SomeRandomBint wrote:Well, this is the thinking. There are a number of buildings which are likely to be highlighted as "surplus to requirements". Lansdowne is another which is likely to be sold for development, and I suspect the adjoining hall will be developed to house the congregation (similar to what they did with St Andrew's East in Dennistoun).

Lansdowne has been signed over to the Four Acres Trust, the group who developed the Cottier, and the congregation has merged with Kelvin Stevenson Memorial in Belmont Street.

F.A.T. have all kinds of plans for the building but it needs a huge amount of money spent on it for essential repairs so they will be seeking grants from the likes of the Heritage Lottery Fund.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development