Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:40 am

As we seem to have multiple threads going on at the same time about all the high flats that are on 'death row' - I thought it might be a good idea to consolidate the current status of each in just one thread. I was driving about last night and took some mental notes, so if anyone wants to add news or information as they find out - please feel free....

Bluevale/Whitevale - empty; I see the windows are now almost stripped out completely on both blocks. Possibly before the end of the year, early next year?

Red Road - only three of the remaining six towers are still lit up at night, the last remaining slab block is completely stripped - no word yet on when it will be coming down?

Norfolk Court, Laurieston - Still loads of lights on pretty much every floor - doesn't look like they've even made inroads into clearing the block yet. Maybe a U-turn on this one is imminent? Last I heard the residents were digging their heels in to save the block.

Rosemount Street, Royston - the block farthest from the M8 embankment appears to be completely switched off now - couldn't see if stripping out has actually begun. The block closest to the M8 however still has lots of lights still on. I imagine it will be the last to go, and it will be a nibble down.

so over to everyone else - please jump in if you have any more info.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Postby DavidMcD316 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:37 am

The Royston high rise has all its windows out. the small flats there have all their windows out too.
Would expect them both to come down before the new year?

The Red Road slab, they have started work on that one again after doing nothing to it for over a year. Maybe finally coming down this side of christmas?
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lawman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Funny about colourvale, I drove past the other day, just at a fleeting glance both blocks still look normal and otherwise occupied! Weird eh?

I'm all for keeping Norfolk Court

Red Road slab block will be a cracking show if it is on a nice crisp winters day :)
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Lawman wrote:Funny about colourvale, I drove past the other day, just at a fleeting glance both blocks still look normal and otherwise occupied! Weird eh?

I was in Tescos at the Forge Retail Park last night, and tried to get a pic of them but it was too dark - they look even more forboding and grim now that they have been switched off completely and the windows are mostly removed. As an ex Eastender I have mixed feelings about the Camlachie Twins coming down, but that's progress.... :?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Work has began on the two Kingsway flats at the bottom of Kingsway/Dumbarton Road and the 'Nibbler' has been working away on one of them, it won't be long until it's a mound with a flag pole!

Nearby in Knightswood's Lincoln Avenue, there are still a small number of inhabitants in the two flats which are coming down.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Interesting website documenting the end of the Bluevale/Whitevale flats. Not sure how sound his claims are, but he's implying that they've run into snags with the demolition and it won't happen before the CG's.....

http://thisiscentralstation.com/feature ... s-endgame/
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:32 pm

I'm pretty sure the claims about the Bluevale / Whiteval flats are accurate. I attended a talk last night by Chris Leslie who is the author / photographer / artist responsible for the Endgame site and the Glasgow Renaissance Project.

It looks like there will not be enough time before the CG's to strip out and demolish the blocks given the asbestos content and the proximity to the railway and adjoining blocks...
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:06 pm

There's a Glasgow GHA demolition programme on Quest Channel on telly now.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:I'm pretty sure the claims about the Bluevale / Whiteval flats are accurate. I attended a talk last night by Chris Leslie who is the author / photographer / artist responsible for the Endgame site and the Glasgow Renaissance Project.

It looks like there will not be enough time before the CG's to strip out and demolish the blocks given the asbestos content and the proximity to the railway and adjoining blocks...

Well if they are to stay in the short term it'll be interesting to see how they pretty them up (if they do that is...can't see the powers that be wanting these two eyesores in the background when the great and the good are in the city!) - maybe they should invite Sony back to smatter them with paint like they did to that block in Toryglen a few years back! ::):
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hambone » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 pm

see a lot of activity half way up slab block in the Red road ,arc lights ,lots of workmen moving about ,,,could this be explosives been positioned???? hmmmmm , :?: :?: :?:
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:08 pm

hambone wrote:see a lot of activity half way up slab block in the Red road ,arc lights ,lots of workmen moving about ,,,could this be explosives been positioned???? hmmmmm , :?: :?: :?:

The Birnie Court site is now cleared (no pics I'm afraid, due to time constraints), so they may have moved the guys working on it to there. Must try and get round for a proper look tomorrow.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:52 pm

The Egg Man wrote:There's a Glasgow GHA demolition programme on Quest Channel on telly now.

There was another about Fountainwell on earlier this evening.
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:53 pm

They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Sunday, December 1st is to be the date for 20 Rosemount Street's appointment with some dynamite :)
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby biggaryoung » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Oh smashing. Can't wait, I assume both the tower and the low flats are coming down at the same time? .
biggaryoung
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Glasgow Development