Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:01 am

I often wonder though, where the oft-quoted "social problems" actually emanated from. A lot of the older generation who lived through the slums are often heard talking nostalgically about a greater sense of community living and so on, even though the housing itself was dire. What exactly went wrong?? We seemed to go from rubbish buildings+great community to modern buildings+dysfunctional community.

On that note, the standard GHA cop-out for demolishing tower blocks always seems to be either "social problems" or "structural problems", yet these terms are never fully explained as to what they mean. In the case of the latter - look at Red Road for example. The asbestos is always a convenient excuse - yet forgetting that there are hundreds of historic buildings in Glasgow that are also ridden with the stuff, yet nobody is saying we should demolish those.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:28 pm

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:57 am

Did anyone watch "The Secret History Of Our Streets" the other week they were dealing with Duke Street, and there was a piece about the Bluevale/Whitevale towers.

Looks like it is going to be deconstruction (like they did at Tayside House in Dundee, or the old Daily Record building at Anderston Quay), rather than nibble-down and certainly not explosives due to the close proximity of the railway line.

Either way it's going to take ages and cost a fortune.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Slower than a nibble down? :(

Fckin', boo.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 am

Lawman wrote:Slower than a nibble down? :(

Fckin', boo.

Yup. It's essentially still a nibble down but from the "inside out" using remote control machines.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Wee update - sort of.

A client of mine told me today she'd had a communication informing her the date for blowing down the Petershill blocks has been set at September 23rd. A quick check of a calendar (after I'd left her house) showed that date to be a Tuesday - as August 23rd is a Saturday, I suspect that to be more likely.

Anyone else heard anything about it? (I've posted in the Red Road/Petershill thread too).
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:30 am

So is it the remaining slab that's coming down, or is it the three point blocks along Petershill Road (or both?)

That will just leave the old YMCA block and 10 Red Road Court.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:53 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:So is it the remaining slab that's coming down, or is it the three point blocks along Petershill Road (or both?)

That will just leave the old YMCA block and 10 Red Road Court.

She didn't seem to know the correct date RA, and I didn't ask about which blocks. My understanding was that all the remaining blocks except 33 (ex-YMCA) were due to be the CWG opening ceremony highlight (sic), so if this is, in fact, going ahead, I'd expect it to be them all.

Sadly, I can't find anything on the GHA, GCC or Safedem websites, so no confirmation about a date far less what blocks. :(
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:00 pm

A wee project from over last winter, just got round to putting it together. Nibble-down of the 2 Kingsway flats in Scotstoun. Some of the differences are from the weather, others the state of my windows ::):

ImageKingsway Flats Demolition by guachglw, on Flickr
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mjw » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:26 am

That's a great bit of work Gaucho, my wee gran lived up on Kirkton Ave and I'd see these flats on my way to the station. A part of me feels nobody really cares about these buildings, when and why they went up and when they came down, that no-one is documenting them apart from us amateurs.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lawman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Bluevale/Whitevale blocks are now largely windowless, looking pretty gumsy.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:01 am

mjw wrote:That's a great bit of work Gaucho, my wee gran lived up on Kirkton Ave and I'd see these flats on my way to the station. A part of me feels nobody really cares about these buildings, when and why they went up and when they came down, that no-one is documenting them apart from us amateurs.

Problem is those flats are pretty generic in their design, just like thousands of others - unlike your Red Roads, Whitevale/Bluevale, Hutchie C etc where they were either tallest, most controversial, famous architect etc...that's not to say these flats don't have a story of their own. As you say it takes the amateurs to grab the initiative and put them on the map as it were on their own merit.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Lawman wrote:Bluevale/Whitevale blocks are now largely windowless, looking pretty gumsy.

They`ve got weird night lighting. A vertical row of lights running right up the middle. Wonder why? Something to do with air traffic, maybe?
:?: :?: :?:
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:49 am

Ruchazie Rat wrote:
Lawman wrote:Bluevale/Whitevale blocks are now largely windowless, looking pretty gumsy.

They`ve got weird night lighting. A vertical row of lights running right up the middle. Wonder why? Something to do with air traffic, maybe?
:?: :?: :?:

Sure it's not just the close lights on each floor that they've left on?
Picture someone please!!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:31 am

the same happened when the red road flats where getting ripped apart...they keep the landing lights on but as no one lives there all the house lights are off so only leaving a big strip lit up.
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development