Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tower Block Demolitions - Rolling Updates!

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:26 pm

in the confessional box?
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm

HollowHorn wrote:It's not just that they will not admit that they got it wrong, they will not even give the large lawful protest any credence in changing their decision. They are now actually blaming the protesters. Apparently the demolition cannot go ahead because of fears that the protesters could pose a threat to security & safety at the site.

I'm sure the cooncil will be able to recruit some burly bouncers from G4S to do the needful evicting and clearing of anyone that gets in the way....
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Why bother with G4s when Bily McAllister's available?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 pm

re red road

our local mp is as useful as ever

http://www.williebain.com/2014/featured ... -ceremony/
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 pm

pingu wrote:re red road

our local mp is as useful as ever

http://www.williebain.com/2014/featured ... -ceremony/

He does rather seem to have a distinctive way with words. "WILLIAM BAIN MP WELCOMES GORDON BROWN’S SPEECH ON UK BEING BEST PLACED TO SAVE-GUARD SCOTS PENSIONS"
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Celyn » Thu May 08, 2014 12:22 am

He seems to be someone who places too much faith in his spelling checker. ::): Or, given that he doesn't seem to like apostrophes and does seem to like Amercanised spelling, perhaps he's just silly. Come to think of it, isn't he a lawyer by profession? If so, he shows a worrying lack of attention to detail, but I might have remembered the "lawyer" bit wrongly.
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:09 pm

The demolition guys are at the Lincoln Avenue flats. They are just "setting up".
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:01 pm

moonbeam wrote:The demolition guys are at the Lincoln Avenue flats. They are just "setting up".

Aye - heard about that one. Subsidence they reckon 8O Although its just the two they haven't reclad. Assume that will be a nibble-down rather than explosives?

Any more word about Bluevale/Whitevale??? Obviously not going to happen before the CGs now, but are they going to camoflage them instead?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby eyes adrift » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm

I drove past the Bluevale / Whitevale towers the other day and did not see a sign of any work happening yet - but most recent proposal were for towers to be used as some sort of advertising billboard for branding purposes...People may find it uncomfortable to see big business, Nike swooshes and drinks promotions branded over empty facades but it looks like GCC are set on getting some sensational visual impact even after the Red Road demolition controversy and a potential revenue income may be swinging things here...
eyes adrift
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Celyn wrote:He seems to be someone who places too much faith in his spelling checker. ::): Or, given that he doesn't seem to like apostrophes and does seem to like Amercanised spelling, perhaps he's just silly. Come to think of it, isn't he a lawyer by profession? If so, he shows a worrying lack of attention to detail, but I might have remembered the "lawyer" bit wrongly.

He was a law lecturer at Strathclyde. I don't think he's ever been a practicing solicitor or advocate though.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Lincon Ave flats got the barricades up round them. Demise appears soon. The Linkwood flat in Drumchapel appears to be next on the hit lost.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Just from curiosity, you understand : is anyone prepared to explain to me why high-rise social housing = Bad, bad veeery bad, whilst high-rise private housing = good, good, the way forward?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Josef wrote:Just from curiosity, you understand : is anyone prepared to explain to me why high-rise social housing = Bad, bad veeery bad, whilst high-rise private housing = good, good, the way forward?

Id say......the council doesnt have to pay for upkeep/repairs so its more money for 'jaunts' for the clowncillors, or is that cynical?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:17 am

Josef wrote:Just from curiosity, you understand : is anyone prepared to explain to me why high-rise social housing = Bad, bad veeery bad, whilst high-rise private housing = good, good, the way forward?

Very simple....

High Rise Social Housing:-

Cheaply Built
Badly Designed
Most were built to a standard specification using "system built" construction methods so the same problems (ie damp) cropped up in multiple different buildings.
Ugly (subjective, I know)
Built in the wrong place; Red Road being the prime example.
Councils underestimated the high maintenance costs of these buildings.
The underlying "social engineering" behind these schemes was fatally flawed.
Following on from the above, many high rise blocks deteriorated and were then cynically used as dumping grounds for the dregs of society, which then gave a good excuse for getting rid of them.

High Rise Private Housing:-

Generally built and designed to a higher specification.
Usually built in central locations that are more "desirable", and closer to where people actually work.
Priced to keep the riff-raff out... (putting it bluntly, I know...but largely true...)

None of these things are mutually exclusive of course, there are always exceptions, but those are broad points to argue on.....there is also the argument that public housing tenants were often MADE to live in these places because there was no alternative, where in private high rises it's the choice of the individual to live there.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:19 pm

RA... Nail, head.

I also totally get where your sweeping statement is coming from. A small percentage of low income households are "Riff raff", but sadly a high percentage of "Riff raff" are on low income.

There are still some horrible habits and better off Riff raff in the newer private style blocks. However managing agents demand a healthy fee from the residents so try their utmost to stamp out this sort of behaviour to prove they are worth this fee, so it is in their best interests to keep the well off Riff raff at bay/in check. Something that the council/housing associations weren't too fussed by, allowing the social problems to manifest.
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development