Re: Old tunnels, missing tracks, disused stations etc

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:26 am

thanks for the info Alycidon.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:16 pm

moonbeam wrote:Are any political party going to re nationalize the railways? Why sell off to the private sector the east coast line. A couple of years down the line and we will be subsidising it.

Nationalisation just goes against the grain of current political ideology (regardless of party) - the private sector is good, public bad. Simple as that. What is being done to the ECML franchise is pure political vindictiveness on the part of Tory ministers whose chances of re-election are still hanging in the balance.

Who wants to bet that the East Coast franchise will go bust for the third time? GNER and National Express failed because they were greedy and promised to pay the govt huge premium payments in return for running the line, but the public voted with their feet and stayed away.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 15, 2014 9:04 am

Under Maryhill Locks beside the Kelvin

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby iankemp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:13 pm

It is a shame that a lot of the old railway lines in and around Glasgow are being built upon, Old Partick Central will soon have flats and shops on. The tunnels are slowly being filled in or being built in front of. Glasgow and surrounding areas could have had a great railway system. People who live up and around botanic gardens would have a rail connection instead of having to go all the way to Partick. Oh well, I suppose with the cuts in Beeching days he did not take into account of economic growth and people growth! Shame something cannot be done about it now.
iankemp
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:00 am

iankemp wrote:The tunnels are slowly being filled in or being built in front of.

I've always thought that was deliberate. I lived in Parkhead at the time when, decades after the closure of the line, they filled in the tunnels. It seemed odd at the time.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 am

There was once a moratorium that the land wasn’t to be built on and maintained for possible future railway reintroduction but money talks and the moratorium was removed in the 1980’s and the land was bought up by developers (example Kelvindale Road) where houses were built upon and so they sold the Kelvinside Station also and that was turned into Carriages – and has been many types of place since then.

In my view, had they retained this and kept the existing rail beds, they could have had a fully integrated and viable public transport service but alas it isn’t to be.

A few years ago, I was down at the North Yorkshire Heritage Railway (the one that they used in Heartbeat) and the voluntary station master told me that he had David Dimbeldy in earlier that week and spoke about the beauty of the station and it was a shame that it wasn’t kept open. To which the station master replied, ‘had they kept it open it would have been a plastic shelter by now.’ He went on to tell me that the way they made the line ‘unprofitable’ was to stick a new - fangled Diesel engine on the line and claim that the costs were outweighing the income.’ This was apparently the method of Beeching’s enforcers….
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development