Govan Graving Docks

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Govan Graving Docks

Postby Dunmaglas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Does anyone know up to date information on what is to be done with the old graving docks in Govan?

I've seen there were redevelopment plans a few years ago, whether they have been abandoned or not I'm not sure but I can't say I'm all that impressed with the one I've seen 3D renderings of. It looks as though the plan is/was to fill in the two outer drydocks leaving only the middle one and surrounding the whole thing with "luxury" flats and high rises.

I think it would be a shame to turn this gem of industrial heritage (infact I can't believe it's not a UNESCO site) into yet another bland dockland modernisation, especially since it's the only dock left in Glasgow that hasn't been filled in. Perhaps a better idea would be to restore the site, preserving as much as possible of the original quay structure and landscape it as some kind of shipbuilding heritage park and renovate the pump house building into a visitor centre and cafe. Some boats or floating features in the docks might be good as well. At the very least all of the docks should be preserved as quaysides and the stairwells would be ideal for creating access to pontoons.
Dunmaglas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Govan Graving Docks

Postby old jock » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 am

Can't help, but I remember my first visit to both there and the (Ahem!!!)...............Riverside museum.

I just thought it would have been a great idea to combine the 2 of these, I suppose other logistical and practical considerations took precedence but I just thought how fabulous that may have been

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:58 pm

i liked the masterplan proposal for the graving docks. very much. the housing (and underground car parking) proposed for two of the docks were to be designed as to be reversible, that is, the docks would remain completely intact. i would hope that masterplan informs whatever redevelopment might take place in the future.

from futureglasgow.co.uk, sadly no longer updated

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby StrachMan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:31 am

I worked with the Govan Graving Docks in great detail for about a year during my final year at Strathclyde School of Architecture - working on my Postgraduate Diploma. I have always been against the flattening and filling-in of Glasgow's history and heritage, particularly along the Clyde. The thesis looked to re-using the docks in a more suitable method for the future Glasgow - aquaponic food production on a massive scale. Scientific fact or fiction regarding the viability of it aside, sites like this shouldn't be covered over with housing; instead, they should be celebrated and/or reutilised.

Final presentation model here: http://strachan.tumblr.com/post/56764998829

Site sections here: http://strachan.tumblr.com/post/25295063846

Site photographs here: http://strachan.tumblr.com/post/12477039619

The project also won the Glasgow Institute of Architecture Final Year Parchment - Award for Outstanding Student in Design: http://gia.org.uk/awards/student-awards

It was also named as 1 of 14 finalists in an international competition 'ONE PRIZE 2012': "
The ONE Prize 2012 competition is powered by the idea that social, ecological, and economic struggles can simultaneously be addressed through collaborative action and innovative design. Situated in the context of a struggling U.S. economy and the tension of stagnant unemployment, ONE Prize 2012 is a call to put design in the service of the community, to reinvigorate deindustrialized and depressed urban areas, and to repurpose spaces for economic growth and job creation. It aims to explore the socially, economically, and ecologically regenerative possibilities of urban transformation and design.

Seeking architects, landscape architects, urban designers, planners, engineers, scientists, artists, students and individuals of all backgrounds:
Can we rework the skeletons of 20th century manufacturing for 21st century innovation?
Can former plants in Detroit become greenhouses, schools, theaters?
Can mill towns be revamped as digital fabrication hubs?
Can vacant parking lots become farms or parks?
Can abandoned strip malls be reinvented?
Can we reboot the American economy?
"

http://www.oneprize.org/12finalists.html and http://www.oneprize.org/063.pdf
StrachMan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yoker brian » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Anyone know what's going on at the Graving Docks?

I've noticed (from the train on the North Clyde Line) over the past couple of nights that there are about 6 vehicles ( mixture of transits, & box vans) on site, a couple of the vans seem to have hi-Vis yellow bands along the body of the vehicles. In addition tonight there was a couple of small boats working alongside.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 pm

yoker brian wrote:Anyone know what's going on at the Graving Docks?

I've noticed (from the train on the North Clyde Line) over the past couple of nights that there are about 6 vehicles ( mixture of transits, & box vans) on site, a couple of the vans seem to have hi-Vis yellow bands along the body of the vehicles. In addition tonight there was a couple of small boats working alongside.

Anti-terrorist squad making sure people who have been banned from the bridges don't swim over?
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Looks like they're clearing the greenery
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am

Guacho wrote:Looks like they're clearing the greenery

Tidy up for the telly :D
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Socceroo wrote:
Guacho wrote:Looks like they're clearing the greenery

Tidy up for the telly :D

After last night, more like the fireworks :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:15 pm

A sort of update - well, they're still there, and still very derelict:

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:35 pm

New City Vision still own the Govan graving docks site. I would be surprised if the development goes ahead any time soon as detailed in Crusty's earlier post above. Building inside the dock basins, is likely to be cost prohibitive.

I recall passing the Govan Graving Docks on the top deck of a bus many times as a child and being fascinated at the activity that was going on.

Hopefully we will see some form of scheme being developed on the site in the not too distant future to liven up that corner of the river bank. Perhaps some form of quality commercial / residential scheme around the dock basins, with the dock basins repaired and flooded out.

I do know that the site is high on Glasgow City Councils radar and that they are frustrated at the lack of movement with the site.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:39 pm

It's hard to envisage a scheme like that one going ahead, for sure. The crucial thing, as that scheme appears to have respected, is that the basins are preserved. How much can they actually deteriorate in the mid-term, I wonder? Large masses of concrete with heavy granite dressing would be fairly inert, you'd think.

Socceroo wrote:I do know that the site is high on Glasgow City Councils radar and that they are frustrated at the lack of movement with the site.

Very understandable and quite heartening, though it also means quite a dangerous situation for the docks - there's any number of developments (thinking furth of Glasgow in large part) that only went ahead because things had been stalled for so long that a less than ideal development came to be seen as better than another ten years of nothing happening.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby old jock » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:55 am

Aye I agree about your fears on development LP, if its not summit botched then the other route is the proposal gets watered down to the point that its just another lot of flats and architectural significance or heritage effectively gets removed (think Ruchill for instance, they struggled just to save the water tower in the end)

Loving the pictures thanks a lot
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 pm

There's been a murder at the docks!!!

River City, BBC One, now.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe