New Gurdwara on Berkeley Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

New Gurdwara on Berkeley Street

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 am

"The proposed new building will be Scotland‘s only purpose built Gurdwara, and will be built on the existing grounds at Berkeley Street, Glasgow in 2 separate construction phases. Eventually it will be able to accommodate 1500 worshippers, making it not only Scotland‘s largest Sikh temple, but also Glasgow’s largest religious building, as well one of the city’s largest privately funded public buildings of any kind."

This is the building on Berkeley St at Claremont St opposite the Henry Wood Hall.

Has anyone else passed by recently and concluded that work seems to have stopped?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: New Gurdwara on Berkeley Street

Postby rabmania » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 pm

The Egg Man wrote:"The proposed new building will be Scotland‘s only purpose built Gurdwara, and will be built on the existing grounds at Berkeley Street, Glasgow in 2 separate construction phases. Eventually it will be able to accommodate 1500 worshippers, making it not only Scotland‘s largest Sikh temple, but also Glasgow’s largest religious building, as well one of the city’s largest privately funded public buildings of any kind."

This is the building on Berkeley St at Claremont St opposite the Henry Wood Hall.

Has anyone else passed by recently and concluded that work seems to have stopped?

I've been taking pics of the progress...and haven't taken one in five months...
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hambone » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 am

I heard the stonework imported from India is unsuitable for the Scottish climate .talk of having to replace it all ,at enormous expense no doubt. :oops:
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Turns out there's a client v contractor dispute which has now gone to legal appeal. It could take years.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gerry B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Surely It Wont Go On Like Gaudi's Sagrada Familia 8O
The Last Time I looked In The Mirror! I Was Still There......
Gerry B
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:06 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Turns out there's a client v contractor dispute which has now gone to legal appeal. It could take years.

Painfully slow build even when the Contractor was on Site. I got the impression that it was a development strapped for cash.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 am

Socceroo wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:Turns out there's a client v contractor dispute which has now gone to legal appeal. It could take years.

Painfully slow build even when the Contractor was on Site. I got the impression that it was a development strapped for cash.

The initial sums were done when they derived considerable revenue from the car park they ran on that site.

Local parking restrictions changed, their income dropped - that threw their sums out of the window but they were committed to the build by then.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:19 pm

First casualty?

"More than 20 people who rely on the Mel Milaap Day Centre at Charing Cross in Glasgow - including a Second World War veteran and two people over 90 - are protesting against plans to move the service to the Southside.

The heartbroken pensioners say they went without food on Wednesday and have been left worried and upset at the prospect of leaving their "second home".

Glasgow City Council has given them until October 21 before they will withdraw day care services.

The authority says this is because the building in Berkeley Street, which is also home to Mel Milaap Community Centre, does not meet health and safety specifications, including fire safety.

Mel Milaap caters for elderly people from the local Asian community and was one of the first ethnic minority day centres of its kind in Scotland when it opened in 1989.

Many elderly people have been visiting the community centre for more than 20 years."

Looks like they'd been expecting to find a home just along the road.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:42 pm

The Gurdwara people wrote:Glasgow’s largest religious building

Every time I look at this thread I think, hold on - that'd be Glasgow Cathedral? (Unless they were being seriously over-ambitious about the size of the thing.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:
The Gurdwara people wrote:Glasgow’s largest religious building

Every time I look at this thread I think, hold on - that'd be Glasgow Cathedral? (Unless they were being seriously over-ambitious about the size of the thing.)

I suspect they may simply be multiplying up the square footage. It goes down a few floors, up for 4 or 5 floors and has quite a large footprint.

That might be the basis on which they claim it's Glasgow’s largest religious building.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Ah, I see. They're not being entirely full of nonsense then - you'll understand my puzzlement.

All at a standstill yet on site, I take it?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:04 pm

No movement from the crane in weeks. It must be costing someone a fortune.

Whether any internal works are continuing, I don't know but the barricading has made that corner from Berkeley St to Claremont St even worse than before the cyclepath was built. Traffic waiting for the left filter into Sauchiehall St queues back onto Berkeley St.

Add in the buses and parents collecting kids from the Gaelic School and it's a miracle nobody has been injured (as far as I know).
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hawk » Tue May 27, 2014 5:49 am

Building work has started again. ...keep an eye out for more post's.
hawk
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby rabmania » Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 am

rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hawk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:14 pm

So much noise coming from this place now......if you look up at the top the brick work/cladding has been started on two of the domes.....I don't have a camera with a zoom to show the work.
hawk
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Glasgow Development