Sandiefield Rd Demolition:Sunday 21st July

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Sandiefield Rd Demolition:Sunday 21st July

Postby Mori » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 pm

FB

Demolition scheduled next sunday for Sandiefield

Letter to all residents within the New Gorbals area issued by New Gorbals Housing Association.

Roads within the Exclusion Zone to be closed on Sunday 21st July

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Sandiefield Rd Demolition:Sunday 21st July

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 am

Coo - was thinking about going to see this. Glasgow Green seemed like an good place (although you'd only see the tops falling). But then I'll get to see the dust pile close at hand at work on the Monday - apparently it took days to clean up the last time.

Cheers for the info, sir.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HelenD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Too much buggering about - Twitter said they were waiting for police helicopter to become available - meant that the battery in my camcorder gave out at about 1:15. Went home to recharge it. Police said "mid-afternoon", so I didn't short-charge the battery and run straight back.

Then I heard a sickening bang.

Bastards. :(
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Gone Forever :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:00 am

A couple of last snaps from Friday afternoon

Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lawman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:53 pm

After:

A top notch blowdown!
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HelenD » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm still pissed off about missing the blowdown. I'm going down there later on to stick it all back together...
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:53 pm

HelenD wrote:I'm still pissed off about missing the blowdown. I'm going down there later on to stick it all back together...

If it's any consolation, this is the latest in a long list of ones that I've missed. I'd better hurry up; there won't be any multis left in Scotland at all at this rate.

Lawman wrote:After:

That's just perfect :D
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Lucky Poet wrote: ...........
If it's any consolation, this is the latest in a long list of ones that I've missed. I'd better hurry up; there won't be any multis left in Scotland at all at this rate.

Shaftesbury Street is yet to come down.

It towers over a primary school, a chapel and an NHS clinic.

Should be worth seeing.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:
HelenD wrote:I'm still pissed off about missing the blowdown. I'm going down there later on to stick it all back together...

Lawman wrote:After:

That's just perfect :D

Isn't it just! Couldn't believe it when I seen it, I thought the other block was tidy at first! Textbook stuff, all the floors stacked perfectly!

I had to pass on this one too due to family commitments, but there are plenty of blocks left :D

Those demolition engineers are artists, there wasn't a stone out of place in the Co-Op carpark, the street on the opposite side shows a little evidence of being a tad dusty and swept, but apart from that you would never have noticed anything major had happened 8)

Quite right, I'll give you a hand! It's one I would have loved to have seen from the disused railway line across the road! (or at least set off a video camera there)
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:50 pm

The photo's perfect as well, Lawman. Love it.

The Egg Man wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote: ...........

Shaftesbury Street is yet to come down.

It towers over a primary school, a chapel and an NHS clinic.

Should be worth seeing.

All it's missing is a nearby orphanage. Ten billion bonus points if it all went wrong.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:01 am

Lawman wrote:
Lucky Poet wrote:

Isn't it just! Couldn't believe it when I seen it, I thought the other block was tidy at first! Textbook stuff, all the floors stacked perfectly!

I had to pass on this one too due to family commitments, but there are plenty of blocks left :D

Those demolition engineers are artists, there wasn't a stone out of place in the Co-Op carpark, the street on the opposite side shows a little evidence of being a tad dusty and swept, but apart from that you would never have noticed anything major had happened 8)

Quite right, I'll give you a hand! It's one I would have loved to have seen from the disused railway line across the road! (or at least set off a video camera there)

I watched the Derby St flats in Dundee come down a few weeks back - funny that I thought they'd messed it up as on one of the blocks there were six floors at the top that went down so far and then fell over (watch the YT footage to see what I mean), but apparently this was deliberate to make sure they didn't hit the church sandwiched between.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lawman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Makes sense.
You can see in one of the videos what seems to be another charge going off, round about the area at the bottom of the toppling section. Clever stuff!! 8)
It didn't go entirely to plan though, going by this video :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=rela ... fZBqkpCBAo
Lawman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:37 am

Cracking pictures. I got a few on my way to work this week which I'll put up in a bit when I've got time.

According to the word on the street, one house in Crown Street had a broken window which was replaced by Sunday evening. Other than that, everything went without a hitch - other than the fact there was a fairly big delay in getting everyone out. Although I think most people could have realised that trying to get the residents of the Gorbals oot o' their beds at 7am on a Sunday might prove to be a challenge - I think the full fried breakfast being provided in Blackfriars school free of charge helped a bit! :D
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HelenD » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm

This demolition and why they wired the top floors together was explained on BBC's The One Show this evening. Probably on iPlayer.
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development