Queen St developments??

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Queen St developments??

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 am

Scotland.gov.uk

Economic boost for Glasgow

14/12/2012

A £50 million funding package will see an empty building in Glasgow City Centre transformed into high quality retail and office space, accommodating up to 1,200 workers.
From January, construction work will get underway at 110 Queen Street - a former bank – to create 143,000 sq ft of Grade A offices and 20,000 sq ft of retail space, supporting more than 30 jobs and apprenticeships in the construction sector.

11/02063/DC | Erection of mixed use development comprising retail, restaurant and office floorspace at ground floor with offices at upper floors and associated servicing, basement car parking and public realm works. | 110 Queen Street Glasgow G1 3BX

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:19 am

The Slab will soon be all obliterated.

Images from Rcahms

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:31 am

SomeRandomBint wrote: .................
I'm not willing to throw Glasgow's architectural heritage under a bus for money.

Why? See the north side of George Square. Takes 12 months to build, 20 years to get rid of. Better to not build it in the first place.

We threw it away years ago. What we're talking about now is getting something back after years of abandonment.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Yes - just as I thought - although it looks a bit like the Glasgow Herald building on Albion Street with a wavy front added (which isn't that novel really - look at Richard Seifert's Gateway House (1969) in Manchester (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_House,_Manchester)and you will see the same effect, albeit in a late '60s style).

There's a slight irony here that the architectural firm responsible (Cooper Cromar) banging on about how good it is, were also responsible for the Bluevale/Whitevale twin towers 50 years ago......

I don't know I think the proposal is a very intrusive building that doesn't respect any of its neighbours - dare I say i I think the 1971 vintage building that's there at the moment looks less intrusive, although that may just be a familiarity thing because it's been there longer than I have and I am used to it being there. And lets remember, it's quite a glassy building at street level also.

My overall attitude is that buildings that are perfectly serviceable should be given a second chance - just demolishing them simply because they are of "low architectural quality" is highly subjective (and wasteful)....so what if you turn them into Travelodges or Premier Inns, they are giving people employment - I mean - what if this building received a St. Andrew House style recladding job?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Demolition of former Bank of Scotland building at Queen St/Ingram Street has begun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:56 am

Alas - another piece of Bruce Report-inspired modernism bites the dust. RIP.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Saturday, 6th. April:
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Thursday 4th of April:

The ascent of bam the hunter by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:58 am

I assume most of the old bank building is gone now - haven't been down that end of the town in ages. Anyone got any pics/updates?
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby beneld » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Here is one of mine from June 16th
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://twitter.com/#!/ahaufstop
http://ahaufstop.blogspot.com
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 am

Thx for that. Lets wait with bated breath that the developer doesn't announce that funding to build its replacement has evaporated and we will have yet another grotty open air car park on this site for 10+ years.

Will it be Selfridges, Elphinstone Place and Bothwell Plaza all over again?? - lets hope not.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:32 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:Thx for that. Lets wait with bated breath that the developer doesn't announce that funding to build its replacement has evaporated and we will have yet another grotty open air car park on this site for 10+ years.

The funding is in place.

"BAM Properties and the Scottish Government are investing a £50 million funding package to transform an empty building in Glasgow’s city centre into high quality retail and office space, accommodating up to 1,500 workers.

Construction work has started at 110 Queen Street - a former bank – to create 143,000 sqft of Grade A offices and 20,000 sq ft of retail space, and will help to support 250 jobs in the sector and 30 apprenticeships over the lifetime of the project.

The project, which is being developed, designed and built by BAM, will receive a £9.6 million loan from the Scottish Partnership for Regeneration in Urban Centres (SPRUCE) Fund, which has been established with Scottish Government and European Regional Development Fund money.

The nine storey office block comprises 224,266sq/ft of accommodation encased within a concave façade of curtain wall glazing - an iteration of the art deco Aurora building on Bothwell Street."

I'm told no client is in place as yet.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:52 pm

I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon, but I wonder:

A) Does anybody build Grade B or Grade C offices? Does it happen, but it doesn't get announced? Is Grade A the new 'iconic'?

B) What in the name of Le fucking Corbusier is an iteration of an Art Deco building?

The Egg Man wrote:I'm told no client is in place as yet.

What could possibly go wrong? :?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon, but I wonder:

A) Does anybody build Grade B or Grade C offices? Does it happen, but it doesn't get announced? Is Grade A the new 'iconic'?

"Grade A office space

The most prized and sought-after is Grade A or Class A office space. Typically, office buildings within the Grade A bracket are brand new or have been recently redeveloped, or experienced a thorough refurbishment. The properties are prestigious and usually occupy prime locations within major cities such as Central London, Manchester and Birmingham.

Along with the standard of the building itself, Grade A offices will also possess high-quality furnishings, state-of-the-art facilities, and excellent accessibility. The property will be finished in order to compete for premier office users, typically appealing to an international market, and will usually demand rents that are above average for the area.

The Urban Land Institute, an organisation committed to commercial land use policy and practice, provides examples of Grade A office space as: "the office buildings that you see in the heart of the financial district with lots of brass and glass fixtures and huge, expensive lobbies."

These properties are also said to be "often occupied by banks, high-priced law firms, investment banking companies, and other high-profile companies with a need to provide the trappings of financial success."

Grade B office space

Grade B or Class B office space refers to properties that fall below the Grade A remit, typically in terms of location, facilities and maintenance. The majority of businesses seeking office space will usually opt for a Grade B property, as the rents are often cheaper and supply is more readily available than the more prestigious Grade A offices.

Grade B offices are usually maintained and finished to a good or fair standard, with adequate facilities. Materials used in the construction or fit-out of the building are functional but are not considered to be the highest quality.

These properties are sometimes ex-Grade A. They are often found in the suburbs or slightly cheaper areas, as opposed to Grade A offices which typically occupy the most sought-after locations.

Grade C office space

Grade C or Class C offices provide functional space for tenants looking for low rents. The fit-out is usually much lower quality than A or B Grade properties, while internal furnishings and decoration are usually not maintained regularly, or to a high standard.

These buildings are typically 15 to 25 years old, but maintain steady occupancy. The Urban Land Institute states that many Grade C offices are not genuine office buildings, but are more like "walk-up office spaces" located above retail or service businesses."

I think the idea is that you don't build Grade B or C offices from scratch any more than you build second hand cars. That doesn't mean there isn't a marketplace for B & C offices.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development