The changing face of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The changing face of Glasgow

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:15 pm

I had to go over to a depot in Cambusland this morning to pick up a missed delivery and drove back through the East end of the City and through the South side to Govan. I couldn't help but notice how lost I would have been without my sat nav guiding me through a city that I once knew relatively well.

Firstly the new M74 extension eats into areas that I once knew quite well and changes the whole face of the city's landscape then down through London Road and the new 'stadium' that's being built across from Celtic Park changes the outlook of the whole area and then along Ballater/Tradeston and it is hard to believe this is the same place in so many ways. It's when you've passed in the car at 30+mph and suddenly realise that 'there used to be a .... or that used to be there.'

Glasgow's changing for sure, not quite convinced all of it's for the best but for someone like me, not an expatriate but resident who doesn't venture too far into the East and South too often these days, it's quite amazing how vastly different the place is.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The changing face of Glasgow

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:I had to go over to a depot in Cambusland this morning to pick up a missed delivery and drove back through the East end of the City and through the South side to Govan. I couldn't help but notice how lost I would have been without my sat nav guiding me through a city that I once knew relatively well.

Firstly the new M74 extension eats into areas that I once knew quite well and changes the whole face of the city's landscape then down through London Road and the new 'stadium' that's being built across from Celtic Park changes the outlook of the whole area and then along Ballater/Tradeston and it is hard to believe this is the same place in so many ways. It's when you've passed in the car at 30+mph and suddenly realise that 'there used to be a .... or that used to be there.'

Glasgow's changing for sure, not quite convinced all of it's for the best but for someone like me, not an expatriate but resident who doesn't venture too far into the East and South too often these days, it's quite amazing how vastly different the place is.

I for one don't really miss the dereliction and gap sites, interestingly as someone who grew up with post-Bruce Report Glasgow - too young to remember a Glasgow without the motorway and all the tower blocks, I find myself taking offence at some of the 1960s/1970s buildings being demolished. That's just a generational thing I guess!

For me the biggest blight in the city centre is the Goldbergs site - it is high time Selfridges were told to either flatten the decaying hulk and build something or sell the land to someone who will.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:50 pm

A most interesting perspective regarding the demolition of the buildings from the 1960's & 70's as I can remember many of them going up (only just) and I don't hold them with any affection. It never crossed my mind to think there would be those who would - that's me challenged and very well done for making me think about it from another generation's perspective.

I don't miss gap sites either but I hate 'squeezed sites' where a little corner of the city, or the outskirts, even some back lane has what I consider a monostrosity pushed into fill the gap and fill the wallet of the developer. However when I pass by places like Springburn Burgh Halls and Whiteinch Lesser Halls and the ornate buildings of Glasgow the lie derelict, that to me is a crime.

Thanks for replying to my post and it really was great to hear another view, hopefully more challenging posts will follow from others.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 pm

What about the Slater Hogg corner on Byres Rd at University Avenue?

A monostrosity pushed into fill the gap or a tasteful development which is weathering into its surroundings?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 am

The Egg Man wrote:What about the Slater Hogg corner on Byres Rd at University Avenue?

A monostrosity pushed into fill the gap or a tasteful development which is weathering into its surroundings?

It could have been worse or better according to your view 8O

[Admin edit - another shot of it until the first one reappears.]

It's the head office for the Basque Health Sevice ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 am

that is hideous.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:37 am

I like it.

It is hideous, though.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 pm

The Egg Man wrote:What about the Slater Hogg corner on Byres Rd at University Avenue?

I like it better than more recent things (it's 'always' been there from my point of view). But is that pic taken from a flattering angle? At least the floor heights are the same as the neighbour's, and they didn't do a five-into-four number.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Sorry about the pic. It was the only one I could find online. I actually prefer the view diagonally across the road straight at the estate agent's door.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Sunflower wrote:

I like it better than more recent things (it's 'always' been there from my point of view). But is that pic taken from a flattering angle? At least the floor heights are the same as the neighbour's, and they didn't do a five-into-four number.

I think I've stopped noticing it now so it must have blended in.

The Basque Health Centre building reminds me of Ghostbusters for some reason 8O
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Not being noticed is an underrated quality for some buildings. They can't and shouldn't all yell 'look at me', in my humble. That Basque thing does yell quite well though, which is different.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Personally, looking at it from my own relatively short lifetime's perspective - whenever I watch an old 1980s episode of Taggart, it strikes me how much the city has changed even since then - a lot of derelict sites and housing schemes which are now demolished and redeveloped.

In fact, it must be getting harder for TV and film producers to find those cliched "bad" areas - you know derelict houses with boarded up windows, burnt out cars littering the streets, crime ridden multis and half decayed 1960s shopping precincts as most have fallen victim to the bulldozer.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:03 pm

True.
The only ones that come to mind that hung around in a boarded up state for ages was Whitelaw Street Maryhill and a block just as you're about to enter the Clyde Tunnel at Govan - but that was a couple of years ago and I don't live in Glasgow.... for the mo ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:Personally, looking at it from my own relatively short lifetime's perspective - whenever I watch an old 1980s episode of Taggart, it strikes me how much the city has changed even since then - a lot of derelict sites and housing schemes which are now demolished and redeveloped.

In fact, it must be getting harder for TV and film producers to find those cliched "bad" areas - you know derelict houses with boarded up windows, burnt out cars littering the streets, crime ridden multis and half decayed 1960s shopping precincts as most have fallen victim to the bulldozer.

They should come to Motherwell, then, plenty of scope here for that sort of background. :)
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 pm

RDR wrote:They should come to Motherwell, then, plenty of scope here for that sort of background. :)

It's never been the same since they got rid of Fir Park Street.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development