Green Deal/ Sustainable Refurbishment -Traditional Buildings

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Green Deal/ Sustainable Refurbishment -Traditional Buildings

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:46 pm

29 Feb 2012

Where: Room M201, Glasgow Caledonian University, 70 Cowcaddens Road, Glasgow G4 0BA

Times: 09:00 - 16:30

Approximately 70% of today's existing building stock is likely to still be in use in 2050.

This presents a major challenge to us today: how can we improve the energy efficiency of our buildings (particularly traditional buildings) through successful refurbishment and also capitalise on the long-term sustainability of the traditional building stock in response to climate change whilst preserving architectural and historic/cultural integrity?

How can we future-proof our buildings to 2090 standards?

Initiatives like the Green Deal are set to encourage interest in refurbishment. However, what do we know about the energy performance of existing buildings, how can refurbishment be carried out effectively and sustainably, what guidance is available, what are the real & perceived risks?

Historic Scotland, for example, has commissioned research over the last 5 year which attempts to address these issues.

Research undertaken at universities will be presented. Historic Scotland and building professionals involved in refurbishment projects will offer their perspectives.

http://www.cicstart.org/events/events/2 ... dings.html
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Green Deal/ Sustainable Refurbishment -Traditional Build

Postby dogface » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 am

Did you manage to get to this? Sounds really interesting - it's actually a shame that people don't put more investment into what's already standing (some of the derelict building around would be half million villas in london) but maybe that's just my idealistic take on things.

I'm downloading the presentations from that link just now and will have a wee look and see if I can learn anything new once it's finished.
dogface
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doug » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:23 pm

dogface wrote:Did you manage to get to this? Sounds really interesting - it's actually a shame that people don't put more investment into what's already standing (some of the derelict building around would be half million villas in london) but maybe that's just my idealistic take on things.

I'm downloading the presentations from that link just now and will have a wee look and see if I can learn anything new once it's finished.

I would wholeheartedly agree that there must be hundreds of building around the glasgow area which would be ripe for restoration and development but i thought this was an ongoing policy. I recall many many years ago in the city centre a major building project left a buildings frontage but stripped our the interior and completely rebuilt it, and has not a good part of the old merchant city not been upgraded with studio flats and so on. I havent lived in glasgow for a longtime so i'm not up to speed with whats going on but interesting topic
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby old jock » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 am

In total agreement. Most of the older building shells are made of materials that would just be way to expensive to use today and if looked after will easily outlast what is being put up today. Victorian stuff by defo over 100 years old and going strong. Stuff nowadays nowhere near that sort of lifespan.

I don't agree that everything modern is necessarily better especially when it comes to civil engineering

There are a lot more issues than I know about but 2 of them are

On listed buildings the council and other bodies simply do not have the money to effectively enforce things like listed status on properties. Developers know this so you just hack off roof tiles etc and wait, or if its a rush job get oot the Scottish Bluebells.

Refurbishing is I understand subject to VAT new builds are not, until that gets sorted out its going to be awfully attractive to rip it up and start again.

John
old jock
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doug » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:13 am

Hi Jock. I would go along with you that not all old buildings are good or indeed even worth keeping and there can be a lot of issues with listed buildings with preservation people and various legalities and clearly developers dont like getting involved in that sort of hassle but if it is a building that the public have a special attachment to or it has a special historic significance then it probably would be worth trying to preserve in some way
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development