Kelvinhaugh Street - Car Showroom

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Kelvinhaugh Street - Car Showroom

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 pm

beneld wrote:The matching design could not have had a rounded corner to refer to the street corner and other gushets.
The building where the Goat is has this snub nose design and it does not look as good as the rounded original.

inclined to agree, although the calibre of just such a proposal further west along argyle st makes me think this one aint that bad, very nearly a considered approach...

from futureglasgow, click image for big

here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:25 pm

beneld wrote:The matching design could not have had a rounded corner to refer to the street corner and other gushets.
The building where the Goat is has this snub nose design and it does not look as good as the rounded original.

A rounded corner would have echoed Minerva Street/ Argyle Street.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:43 pm

took this November 2007

In the early part of the 1900's the building did not exist as the numbers jumped from 1161 Argyle Street / Kelvinhugh Street / to 1185 Argyle Street. The site was occupied from at least 1927 to 1933 by Simms Motor Units Ltd. In 1962 by Baillie & Hurn Ltd, Motor Engineers; around 10 years later by Blythswood Motors Ltd, Motor Car Agents who also had a showroom at 58 Cromwell Street. The company was incorporated in 1940 and it may have been sold in December of 1988 as new directors Mr George A. Steele and Ms A. L. Steele appear to have taken over. The company are now at Westway Park, Porterfield, Renfrew. Its possible that there has been motor traders at that location for nearly 90 years. I remember back in the early 1970's, when l would pass it almost every working day, admiring the flashy cars it used to sell. Shame to see it go and i'm glad l photographed it when l did.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:45 pm

crusty_bint wrote:nostalgia gone mad...

I should have been clearer that I was objecting to what was done to the building in the 1963 photo.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:37 pm

We knew that.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I managed to take a couple of snaps today. I must say that it looked more like an archaeological dig than a construction site , but what do I know ( was it being recorded ?).

The basement is lined with white ceramic tiles , presumably to enhance any daylight making it through the pavement lights.

In one of the pictures you can spot the old electrical cable-head , along with the “ghost” of the supply cable ( you might have to view FH size to see it ).

Basement of 1175 Argyle Street Glasgow from Kelvinhaugh Street by vinegartom40, on Flickr

Basement of 1175 Argyle Street Glasgow from Kelvinhaugh Street 4 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

Basement of 1175 Argyle Street Glasgow from Kelvinhaugh Street 2 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

Basement of 1175 Argyle Street Glasgow from Kelvinhaugh Street 3 by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Those tiles are about the last thing I'd have expected to see down there. Surely laying in electric light would have been far cheaper, especially since the north side would have benefitted from little, if any, natural light.

Does anyone know if the basement was a showroom area too? Was there a way to get vehicles down?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby road_kill » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:23 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Those tiles are about the last thing I'd have expected to see down there. Surely laying in electric light would have been far cheaper, especially since the north side would have benefitted from little, if any, natural light

The block was built in the 1840s. The 1894 OS suggests that it was, for a while, a bank:

The 1858 does not specify its use.
You're welcome.
road_kill
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby robertpool » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:06 pm

in 1894 it was the British Linen Company Bank (It had been there since 1886), 243 Dumbarton Road as it had not changed the name to Argyle Street yet.

1858 that part of Dumbarton road went from number 217 then jumps to number 297.

The Public House just down from the bank in Kelvinhaugh Street could have belonged to any of the below, all were registered Wine & Spirit Merchants.

at number 14 - James Goldie (my guess)
at number 35 - Mrs A. Sutherland
at number 120 - J. & A. Stewart
at number 184 - Mr R. Y. King

take your pick

The Public House across the road from the bank at 244 Dumbarton Road was owned by Sinclair & Doig, Spirit Merchants
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Yrs ago I worked with an old Pattermaker from John Browns. He lived in the old tenement just next to the garage in Kelvinhaugh st. It is possible that he might have been one of the very last people in Glasgow to have gaslighting in his house. This could have been as last as the early 70s. He would stand at the corner of Kelvinhaugh st next to the garage. His watchword was "Ah come frae the Haugh and ah fear f*** aw".
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development