Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Jumeirah Hotel

Postby Mori » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 pm

JUMEIRAH CHECKS IN TO GLASGOW

14/10/2008

http://www.jumeirah.com

Jumeirah Group signs deal with Progress Property Developments

for the first international luxury business hotel in Scotland

Glasgow, 14 October 2008: Jumeirah, the Dubai-based luxury hotel group and operator of the world famous Burj Al Arab, unveils plans to operate a five-star super deluxe hotel in Glasgow, Scotland. This was announced by Charles Price, CEO of Progress Property Developments (PPD) and Guy Crawford, CEO of Jumeirah Group, at a signing ceremony held today in Glasgow.
Jumeirah Glasgow Hotel, Jumeirah’s fifth hotel to be signed in Europe, is scheduled to open in 2011. Conveniently situated in Glasgow’s International Financial Services District, with close proximity to the high-end shopping district, the 25-storey development, designed by Ian Simpson Architects, will be one of the United Kingdom’s most luxurious hotels, providing the award-winning levels of service and facilities associated with the Jumeirah brand worldwide.

Guests will enjoy a range of leisure facilities which include an impressive infinity pool, Jumeirah’s signature Talise Wellness spa, gym, rooftop cocktail lounge and several restaurants and bars. Extensive business and conference amenities will be supplemented by a 630-seat ballroom and a dedicated club lounge.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Jumeirah Hotel

Postby Its_a_gamp » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Saw that on the news, any idea where it's going to be built?
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TA_Ealing » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:06 pm

from the photo's I have seen on the news, the corner of Argyle Street and York Street - right next to the Radisson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 668043.stm
TA_Ealing
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sds » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 pm

This is Good News. I've seen this mentioned before, but hadn't heard anything recently. Not that I'll ever be able to afford to go in when it's built...
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:58 am

TA_Ealing wrote:from the photo's I have seen on the news, the corner of Argyle Street and York Street - right next to the Radisson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 668043.stm

That's right. On and beyond the site currently owned and occupied by the pawnbroker who doesn't want to move.

Am I alone in querying whether this is the right economic climate for such a development?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:46 pm

onyirtodd wrote:Am I alone in querying whether this is the right economic climate for such a development?

Well, it'll open in at least three years or so? Time enough for things to recover...
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:44 pm

sds wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:Am I alone in querying whether this is the right economic climate for such a development?

Well, it'll open in at least three years or so? Time enough for things to recover...

I'm not so sure. I can see it taking a good while longer before things get back to 'normal'.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:46 pm

I don't think people that can afford to stay in one of those hotels are pinching the pennies as much as the rest of us.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Peetabix wrote:I don't think people that can afford to stay in one of those hotels are pinching the pennies as much as the rest of us.

I don't think people that can afford to stay in one of those hotels are queueing up to come to Glasgow.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:09 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Peetabix wrote:I don't think people that can afford to stay in one of those hotels are pinching the pennies as much as the rest of us.

I don't think people that can afford to stay in one of those hotels are queueing up to come to Glasgow.

I wouldn't be so sure. Corporate budgets for travel are often insane. The travel agents they hire aren't usually in the business of hunting out the best easyjet deal for flights, nor the cheapest B&B for accommodation. This will turn a pretty good trade, I'm quite sure.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peekay » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:27 pm

Apart from that it'll bring a load of jobs with it both in construction and service when it's built. Who gives a shit if no-one actually comes to it!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:36 am

sds wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. Corporate budgets for travel are often insane. The travel agents they hire aren't usually in the business of hunting out the best easyjet deal for flights, nor the cheapest B&B for accommodation. This will turn a pretty good trade, I'm quite sure.

I'm sure corporate travel budgets have been insane in the past but I'm fairly certain that'll change. Glasgow seems to do astonishgly well at attracting major international conferences but these ain't the folks who'll be paying Jumeirah rates. BY the same token, were I foolish enough to pay such prices I'm not sure I'd be happy with an outlook over Glasgow's red-light district and onto a not particularly attractive bit of town. The building across Argyle St leaves a lot to be desired.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:57 pm

Is Glasgow's International Financial Services District really, Glasgow's Call Centre District
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:06 pm

dave3009 wrote:Is Glasgow's International Financial Services District really, Glasgow's Call Centre District

I think it's really Glasgow's Call Girl Centre District :wink:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Good call.

Picture the scene, you're in Ayr 'doing a few car parks' :wink: then you get a call from yer high faluting wummin at the Jumeriah Glesga. Hold that thought and >>Click Here<<

Given the Jumeriah portfolio I don't think this is really a Jumeriah Hotel, more a construction project to bank roll. It'll end up another Travel Inn to rival the one 2 blocks down.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development