Shawlands Arcade

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Shawlands Arcade

Postby escotregen » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:32 am

I can still recall visiting Shawlands Arcade in Glasgow Southside in the late 1960s and thinking 'wow this is modern city living at it best'. It's now a seedy dilapidated quarter. Even my namesakes Harkins the jewellers has gone... and now one of those cloned anodyne Weatherpersons pubs is it 'best' feature.
This link is to the latest information on the arcade regeneration proposal going to planning stage. Interesting comments include, developers have 'pledged to retain half the land area as public open space'. If anyone participated in the formal community consultation back in May it would be good to read of how far they believe that any community views have been integrated in the amended proposal.
https://www.scottishhousingnews.com/articles/updated-regeneration-plans-for-shawlands-arcade-released-for-consultation
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Shawlands Arcade

Postby banjo » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:58 am

im afraid community views are only ever paid lip service.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Shawlands Arcade

Postby Henrysix » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:08 pm

That’s what annoys me having worked for local and central government our futures are governed by officials particularly councillors who are influenced and then influence government planners to relax the rules and make objections disappear, look at how rubbish Milton Keynes Planners are and Glasgow City Council Planners should hang their heads in shame for what they have allowed to be tore down and new builds that just don’t fit in.

I was at Gorbals Primary School in Buchan St, they knocked down an architecturally beautiful functional school and replaced it with the modern Glasgow Sherriff Court - this was vandalism!

It’s rife planning errors everywhere!
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Development