West End lanes to be Demolished

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: West End lanes to be Demolished

Postby rico » Mon May 18, 2009 12:13 am

Roxburgh wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
Roxburgh wrote:
scottwramsay wrote:Euch. I haven't read all the text, but the graphic with sticky-out windows à la Holyrood Parliamentary Buildings or the riverside flats just aren't meant for a place like Ruthven Lane.

More important is the lack of provision of off-street parking. In fact, by removing lock-ups, they are reducing the amount of parking. There isn't enough parking as it is without making matters worse.

I like the idea of the development but it should be required to add to parking not reduce it.

They could sort that by introducing controlled parking they way it is on the opposite side of Byres Rd.

Yes, I agree.

However, if the Byres Rd. area is to be further developed as a destination for shoppers then there needs to be provision of parking facilities both for residents and for visitors to the area.

or the visitors could just park and ride the subway from kelvinbridge or sheilds road or partick or heaven forbid... walk or cycle there using their legs!
rico
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby brickwall » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 pm

rico wrote: or heaven forbid... walk or cycle there using their legs!

Pffft!

I'm not against the redevelopment per se, but I'm always puzzled as to the ideas behind the replacements.
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Only just noticed this thread. This is fucking disgraceful :x
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:50 pm

Aye, that's what RK said.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:44 am

A couple of muddy lanes, a tatty old clothes shop, some unused lock ups and a few small business which never seem to stay around for any length of time (the junk shop excepted), hardly any great social or architectural loss. As the new development will actual provide some retail space which given the hard times will be nice and cheap what the problem?
Introduce the Hillhead residents parking system to that area with the majority of bays for residents and everyone is happy. I fail to see why every new development has to provide parking spaces, it only encourages more widespread car usage.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 pm

cell wrote: .

Introduce the Hillhead residents parking system to that area with the majority of bays for residents and everyone is happy. I fail to see why every new development has to provide parking spaces, it only encourages more widespread car usage.

I believe new developments are required to provide parking spaces in an attempt to reduce pressure on on-street parking nearby.

I agree with you about extending the Hillhead scheme across Byres Rd but local residents were asked recently and foolishly, in my opinion, rejected it. No scheme is perfect but neither is the free for all we see at the moment.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:36 pm

cell wrote:A couple of muddy lanes, a tatty old clothes shop, some unused lock ups and a few small business which never seem to stay around for any length of time (the junk shop excepted), hardly any great social or architectural loss. As the new development will actual provide some retail space which given the hard times will be nice and cheap what the problem?

Absolutely agree. The last time I found that particular lane of any interest was when we played commandos there some 48 years ago :mrgreen:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development