High rise demolition this Sunday?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

High rise demolition this Sunday?

Postby mrpattersonsir » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:54 am

I've heard that three high rises are to be blown up in foxbar on Sunday 12th Dec - does anyone know what time this is happening? ive never seen this before, and i dont want to miss my chance.
mrpattersonsir
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:34 pm

Oooooooooohhh ... sounds fun.

Chris, any info???
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:48 pm

The gorbals ones are due to come down next year sometime - I finally found an Evening Times with a piece on them, and that was a specific as they got.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High rise demolition this Sunday?

Postby My Kitten » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:41 pm

mrpattersonsir wrote:I've heard that three high rises are to be blown up in foxbar on Sunday 12th Dec - does anyone know what time this is happening? ive never seen this before, and i dont want to miss my chance.

I'd definately go, I was at the Queen Elizabeth Sq one and it was awesome. Although, remember to stay far away from the dust!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:13 pm

mrpattersonsir wrote:I've heard that three high rises are to be blown up in foxbar on Sunday 12th Dec - does anyone know what time this is happening? ive never seen this before, and i dont want to miss my chance.

Where abouts in Foxbar?

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:22 pm

My Kitten wrote:

I'd definately go, I was at the Queen Elizabeth Sq one and it was awesome. Although, remember to stay far away from the dust!

I lived near the Roystonhill towerblock that was blown up (down?) in 1992
and the amount of dust that belched out was unreal. It drifted all the way
up towards Germiston! It was to the left of the remaining 2, shown in the
second image in the link below. It was also very close to some old
temements on Roystonhill itself, but no buildings were damaged at all.

http://members.tripod.com/m8motorway/m8_glasgow_j15.htm

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:35 pm

I feel my house is gonna get a bit dusty this weekend, hey ?

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:38 pm

So have we got any more info on this blowdown in Paisley on Sunday?.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:40 pm

Tell you what, I'll take a spin past on the way home tonight.. They MUST have a sign up or something, eh ?

I'll let you know.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:40 pm

Sharon wrote:The gorbals ones are due to come down next year sometime - I finally found an Evening Times with a piece on them, and that was a specific as they got.

The two which weren't renovated in Cumberland st in the Gorbals were due to come down last September, but nothing happened. I also remember a piece on the Stirlingfauld court flats just off Gorbals st in the times saying they were to be demolished in 2005, but then there was a piece a month or two back saying some company wanted to turn them into 'luxury high rises', causing uproar that people wouldn't be able to afford them.

The whole high rise demolition thing seems very vague these days, no firm decision is ever made.I asked in the Gorbals Community forum office, but they said the future of the flats was still undecided. I also made a point of getting loads of pictures of the Cumberland st flats for posterity. Oh well.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:43 pm

The fact that high rises buildings like these were designed as a short-term
solution to housing shortages, and were designed with a fatigue life of
around 30 years, seems to escape most people. :roll:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:15 pm

Contractors and local authorities are tending more and more to keep the publicity low key these demolitions. At one time it was all high profile stuff. But This changed with the demolition of the Queen Elizabeth flats when a local lady was killed by flying debris and the embarrassing flop of one demolition down south when the block ended up only half down (and therefore dangerous to carry out further demolition work on). It also seems oor polis get upset at all the crowds that turn out... means they have to do things like police the event which is not fair on them.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:33 pm

escotregen wrote:Contractors and local authorities are tending more and more to keep the publicity low key these demolitions. At one time it was all high profile stuff. But This changed with the demolition of the Queen Elizabeth flats when a local lady was killed by flying debris and the embarrassing flop of one demolition down south when the block ended up only half down (and therefore dangerous to carry out further demolition work on). It also seems oor polis get upset at all the crowds that turn out... means they have to do things like police the event which is not fair on them.

You're right there, i'm sure there won't be adverts to bring the family along for a fun day out. I suppose you just have to know the right people to get advance warnings. And i'm sure the preparation work can't be easy to disguise.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:41 pm

escotregen wrote:Contractors and local authorities are tending more and more to keep the publicity low key these demolitions. At one time it was all high profile stuff. .

Your right Ed. The publicity is non existent these days only those directly affected by the demolition are informed and even then it's at the last possible minute to keep crowds from turning out to watch.
As I found out a couple of years ago when the flats in Dalmarnock were brought down. I got there just after 11am on a Sunday morning to find a pile of concrete :evil:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:53 pm

james73 wrote:The fact that high rises buildings like these were designed as a short-term
solution to housing shortages, and were designed with a fatigue life of
around 30 years, seems to escape most people. :roll:

30 years?! That's just extracting the urine. I'd expect such a building to have a lifespan of at least a century, if not more.
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Forum Archive