Bike marking in Partick, Hillhead and Anderston

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bike marking in Partick, Hillhead and Anderston

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Now that funding has been approved for the purchase of bike marking kits for residents in the Partick, Hillhead and Anderston areas I am hoping to launch this scheme on Saturday 21st September within Kelvingrove Park. This launch will be advertised through our Twitter and Facebook sites as well as through local housing associations, etc. It is hoped that the Evening Times will also be in attendance to provide Media coverage of this scheme.

As well as members of the community receiving free bike marking on the day there will also be officers on hand providing crime prevention information and carrying out demonstrations on how to securely lock bikes and the best locks to use.

The event will run from 1000 hours until 1400 hours and it would be great to see you all there (with your bikes!!!). Please let me know if you will be able to attend and please encourage members of the public to come along with their bikes on the day.

Your support as always is much appreciated and I hope to see you on the 21st.

Gillian Docherty
Community Inspector
Glasgow West End Police Office
Greater Glasgow Division
0141 532 3551
http://www.scotland.police.uk
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Bike marking in Partick, Hillhead and Anderston

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Someone did a scan of bikes for sale at a police auction and quite a few of them had been marked with owner's details I presumed carried out by ......the police.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Police are launching a crackdown in a bid to tackle bike crime - and to help cyclists get their stolen property back if it is swiped.

Of the 349 stolen bikes, which were recovered between July 2012 and July, this year, in the Hillhead, Partick and Anderston areas, only eight of the owners could be detected.

It is estimated that the stolen property was worth around £250,000.

Inspector Gillian ­Docherty, of Glasgow West End Police Office, said bike crime was a major issue because of the amount of students in the area.

She said: "We do have the university here which brings a lot of students in and many of them cycle.

"We have stolen bikes varying in value from £500 to £3000. And the review that was carried out of the 349 bikes stolen last year showed that this amounted to a figure in the region of £250,000.

Evening Times today.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:51 am

I've caught guys stealing bikes but the police haven't. They don't rate it, as I said previously they mark bikes in a PR exercise but don't look out for bikes being stolen on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:03 am

OK Dexter, you win the HG Pillar of the Community Award (any attempt to mis-quote Pillar will be laughed at.)

What I don't get is that, if the cops know these bikes don't belong to the blackguards found riding them and know that they're stolen (presumably from the description), how hard can it be to match bike with owner?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Too fucking hard obviously. Maybe the UV scanner had been stolen>
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Archive